Re: MS Access Frontend - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: MS Access Frontend
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/30/19 3:15 AM, Tim Clarke wrote:
> On 29/11/2019 17:30, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 11/29/19 9:23 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
>>> I am trying to setup MS Access as a frontend so that it would be
>>> easier on my wife and children to interact with PostgreSQL. I looked
>>> online for some tutorials but the ones I found are out-date or only
>>> pick up after Access is connected to PostgreSQL. I was wondering if
>>> someone knew of some updated material that they could point me to or
>>> maybe walk me through it. I have used Access quite a bit years ago
>>> and things have changed since then. I know I must install the ODBC
>>> drivers, which I have already done. I have already setup the DSN and
>>> I clicked on test and it says everything is fine. I know that my next
>>> step has something to do with Linked Tables in Access, but I am not
>>> sure how to set it up. I guess that is where I start to need help.
>>> The client computers using the frontend will be running Windows 10
>>> and Office 365, both are updated to the latest versions.
>>
>> This might help:
>>
>> https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-linked-tables-1d9346d6-953d-4f85-a9ce-4caec2262797
>>

>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Jason L. Amerson
>>>

> That will help you manage once you have created some linked tables, but
> to create them:

Which is covered in the above:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-linked-tables-1d9346d6-953d-4f85-a9ce-4caec2262797#bkmk_add

> 1) Click "External Data" from the top Access menu, then "New data
> source" on the left
>
> 2) Pick "From other sources" at the bottom and as you correctly
> identified "ODBC Database".
>
> 3) From the dialogue box, change the default of the two options to the
> bottom one "Link....by creating linked table"
>
> 4) Next pick your created DSN from the "Select data source" dialog
>
> 5) You should then see the list of tables etc from your Postgres database
>
> Troubleshooting; make sure you have an ODBC 32 or 64 bit version
> matching the 32 or 64 bit MS Access installed.
>
> If you use any security at the MS Access level you will need to set up a
> simultaneously shared central system.mdw file in some repository. Don't
> try to get more than 6-7 people using this at the same time, it breaks.
>
> Good luck.
>

> --
> Tim Clarke
> IT Director
> Direct: +44 (0)1376 504510 | Mobile: +44 (0)7887 563420
>

> Telephone: Witham: +44(0)1376 503500 | London: +44 (0)20 3009 0853 | Frankfurt: +49 (0)69 7191 6000 | Hong Kong: +852
58031687 | Toronto: +1 647 503 2848

> Web: https://www.manifest.co.uk/
>

> Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company
> 9 Freebournes Court | Newland Street | Witham | Essex | CM8 2BL | United Kingdom

> Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the named addressee
youmust not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to
admin@minerva.info<mailto:admin@minerva.info>
> Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The
ManifestVoting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here
https://www.manifest.co.uk/legal/for further information.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com