Testing an extension against multiple versions of Postgresql

From
"Rhys A.D. Stewart"
Date:
Greetings All,

I have both postgresql versions 10 and 11 installed on my box. I'm working on an extension and just realized that 'make install' installs the extension to the 11 server, but 'make installcheck' runs against the 10 server (I had previously installed the extension there).

Running psql without specifying a host or port connects me to the 10 server, so I suspect that both make installcheck and psql are doing similar things with respect to connecting to a default server.

So the questions are:
Can I have make install & make installcheck run against multiple versions at the same time or how do I tell the installcheck to run against the 11 server.

Thanks.

Rhys
Peace & Love | Live Long & Prosper

Re: Testing an extension against multiple versions of Postgresql

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
On 7/13/19 10:55 AM, Rhys A.D. Stewart wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I have both postgresql versions 10 and 11 installed on my box. I'm working on an extension and just realized that
'makeinstall' installs the extension to the 11 server, but 'make installcheck' runs against the 10 server (I had
previouslyinstalled the extension there).

> Running psql without specifying a host or port connects me to the 10 server, so I suspect that both make installcheck
andpsql are doing similar things with respect to connecting to a default server.

> So the questions are:
> Can I have make install & make installcheck run against multiple versions at the same time or how do I tell the
installcheckto run against the 11 server.

Try setting relevant environment variables [*] for the target version before running "make installcheck".

[*] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current//libpq-envars.html

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
  Ian Barwick                   https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Testing an extension against multiple versions of Postgresql

From
Luca Ferrari
Date:
On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:03 AM Ian Barwick <ian.barwick@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > So the questions are:
> > Can I have make install & make installcheck run against multiple versions at the same time or how do I tell the
installcheckto run against the 11 server.

> Try setting relevant environment variables [*] for the target version before running "make installcheck".
>
> [*] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current//libpq-envars.html

Aside that, a possible easy way to test something against different
PostgreSQL instance is to use something like pgenv
<https://github.com/theory/pgenv>, that is for instance used to test
sqitch.

Luca