Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(

I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
separate .github repository.

As an example, here's the config:
https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
and an example PR
https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:55 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
> separate .github repository.

+1

I think that we should also follow the example of PostGIS, and commit
a file that lets sites like Github know to use 4 bytes for tabs, etc:

https://github.com/postgis/postgis/blob/svn-trunk/.editorconfig

Hopefully that can be done without much fuss.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Justin Clift
Date:
On 2019-04-18 08:55, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
> automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
>
> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
> separate .github repository.
>
> As an example, here's the config:
> https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
> and an example PR
> https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1

Hmmm, PRs to your lockdown repo are being auto-rejected as well.

   https://github.com/anarazel/.github/pull/1

Accidental? ;)

+ Justin

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
On Thursday, April 18, 2019 12:55 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
> automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
>
> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
> separate .github repository.
>
> As an example, here's the config:
> https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
> and an example PR
> https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1

+1. Nice with a non-invasive improvement over the current state.

cheers ./daniel

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2019-04-18 16:44:29 +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 2019-04-18 08:55, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
> > automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
> >
> > I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
> > suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
> > permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
> > separate .github repository.
> >
> > As an example, here's the config:
> > https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
> > and an example PR
> > https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1
>
> Hmmm, PRs to your lockdown repo are being auto-rejected as well.
>
>   https://github.com/anarazel/.github/pull/1
>
> Accidental? ;)

I installed the app into both repositories - because I wasn't sure
whether it needed the file-path access permission to the
.github/lockdown.yml even if the .github repo is public.  And I was too
lazy to experiment ;)

But it seems to work even without that as long as .github is
public. I've merged your PR now :P

Date:
On 2019-04-19 02:27, Andres Freund wrote:
<snip>
> I installed the app into both repositories - because I wasn't sure
> whether it needed the file-path access permission to the
> .github/lockdown.yml even if the .github repo is public.  And I was too
> lazy to experiment ;)
>
> But it seems to work even without that as long as .github is
> public. I've merged your PR now :P

Cool. :)

Having the "auto-close" message being friendly can make an important
difference in keeping the potential contributor around.

Have seen this personally. :)

+ Justin

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2019-04-19 14:13:12 +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 2019-04-19 02:27, Andres Freund wrote:
> <snip>
> > I installed the app into both repositories - because I wasn't sure
> > whether it needed the file-path access permission to the
> > .github/lockdown.yml even if the .github repo is public.  And I was too
> > lazy to experiment ;)
> >
> > But it seems to work even without that as long as .github is
> > public. I've merged your PR now :P
>
> Cool. :)
>
> Having the "auto-close" message being friendly can make an important
> difference in keeping the potential contributor around.

I totally aggree - but just to be clear, that was my private, unused
fork of the postgres repo. I just wanted to test the github app and
wrote the minimal testcase I could think of ;). If it were the real
postgres repo I'd spend a bit more time on the message than I had...

Date:
On 2019-04-19 16:28, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2019-04-19 14:13:12 +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
>> On 2019-04-19 02:27, Andres Freund wrote:
>> <snip>
>> > I installed the app into both repositories - because I wasn't sure
>> > whether it needed the file-path access permission to the
>> > .github/lockdown.yml even if the .github repo is public.  And I was too
>> > lazy to experiment ;)
>> >
>> > But it seems to work even without that as long as .github is
>> > public. I've merged your PR now :P
>>
>> Cool. :)
>>
>> Having the "auto-close" message being friendly can make an important
>> difference in keeping the potential contributor around.
>
> I totally aggree - but just to be clear, that was my private, unused
> fork of the postgres repo. I just wanted to test the github app and
> wrote the minimal testcase I could think of ;). If it were the real
> postgres repo I'd spend a bit more time on the message than I had...

Ahhh dammit.  I didn't read closely enough and just assumed you'd
figured
some way of getting it working with the real PG repo.  Oops. ;)

+ Justin

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2019-04-17 15:55:36 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
> automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
>
> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
> separate .github repository.
>
> As an example, here's the config:
> https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
> and an example PR
> https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1

Ping?

Date:
> On 24 May 2019, at 18:07, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

>> I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
>> automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
>>
>> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
>> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
>> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
>> separate .github repository.
>>
>> As an example, here's the config:
>> https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
>> and an example PR
>> https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1
>
> Ping?

Seconding the above and re-pinging.

cheers ./daniel

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Dave Page

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 12:31 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 24 May 2019, at 18:07, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

>> I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
>> automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
>>
>> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
>> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
>> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
>> separate .github repository.
>>
>> As an example, here's the config:
>> https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
>> and an example PR
>> https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1
>
> Ping?

Seconding the above and re-pinging.

Done.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
> On 17 Jun 2019, at 14:11, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> Done.

Thanks!

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:12 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 12:31 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 24 May 2019, at 18:07, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

>> I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
>> automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
>>
>> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
>> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
>> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
>> separate .github repository.
>>
>> As an example, here's the config:
>> https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
>> and an example PR
>> https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1
>
> Ping?

Seconding the above and re-pinging.

Done.

Ugh. Can't we make it figure out which repo it's filing against? And actually send the notice about the pg repo if it's to the pg project and a separate notice for pgadmin, instead of the "if this was for pgadmin, ignore what I just wrote and go over here instead"?

//Magnus

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 1:29 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:12 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 12:31 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 24 May 2019, at 18:07, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

>> I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
>> automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
>>
>> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
>> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
>> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
>> separate .github repository.
>>
>> As an example, here's the config:
>> https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
>> and an example PR
>> https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1
>
> Ping?

Seconding the above and re-pinging.

Done.

Ugh. Can't we make it figure out which repo it's filing against? And actually send the notice about the pg repo if it's to the pg project and a separate notice for pgadmin, instead of the "if this was for pgadmin, ignore what I just wrote and go over here instead"?

Only by putting the config in the individual repo from what I can see. And that's even more ugh.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Magnus Hagander

>> I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
>> automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
>>
>> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
>> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
>> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
>> separate .github repository.
>>
>> As an example, here's the config:
>> https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
>> and an example PR
>> https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1
>
> Ping?

Seconding the above and re-pinging.

Done.

Ugh. Can't we make it figure out which repo it's filing against? And actually send the notice about the pg repo if it's to the pg project and a separate notice for pgadmin, instead of the "if this was for pgadmin, ignore what I just wrote and go over here instead"?

Only by putting the config in the individual repo from what I can see. And that's even more ugh.

Same problem applies with the pgweb repo which also got a bunch of pretty unfriendly messages now.

Maybe this whole thing should've been more thought through :/

//Magnus

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Dave Page

>> I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
>> automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
>>
>> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
>> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
>> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
>> separate .github repository.
>>
>> As an example, here's the config:
>> https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
>> and an example PR
>> https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1
>
> Ping?

Seconding the above and re-pinging.

Done.

Ugh. Can't we make it figure out which repo it's filing against? And actually send the notice about the pg repo if it's to the pg project and a separate notice for pgadmin, instead of the "if this was for pgadmin, ignore what I just wrote and go over here instead"?

Only by putting the config in the individual repo from what I can see. And that's even more ugh.

Same problem applies with the pgweb repo which also got a bunch of pretty unfriendly messages now.

Maybe this whole thing should've been more thought through :/

Maybe, but there was discussion, and plenty of time for people to object, which noone did.

I think what's there now is far better than a bunch of un-answered PRs rotting away.

--

Date:
>> I think the postgres github mirror should install an application that
>> automatically closes PRs. As there's no better way :(
>>
>> I found https://github.com/dessant/repo-lockdown/ , which seems
>> suitable. Only requires read/write permissions for issues/PRs, and
>> permission to read .github/lockdown.yml. It can be configured in a
>> separate .github repository.
>>
>> As an example, here's the config:
>> https://github.com/anarazel/.github/blob/master/.github/lockdown.yml
>> and an example PR
>> https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/pull/1
>
> Ping?

Seconding the above and re-pinging.

Done.

Ugh. Can't we make it figure out which repo it's filing against? And actually send the notice about the pg repo if it's to the pg project and a separate notice for pgadmin, instead of the "if this was for pgadmin, ignore what I just wrote and go over here instead"?

Only by putting the config in the individual repo from what I can see. And that's even more ugh.

Same problem applies with the pgweb repo which also got a bunch of pretty unfriendly messages now.

Maybe this whole thing should've been more thought through :/

Maybe, but there was discussion, and plenty of time for people to object, which noone did.

Well, nobody in that discussion pointed out that we'd have to have a message that was that unfriendly :/  Had people known, they might have objected...

I think what's there now is far better than a bunch of un-answered PRs rotting away.

Oh I agree. The message should be updated to reflect the rest of the repos though, particularly pgweb is there and is now getting incorrect information sent out.

--

Date:
On 2019-06-17 23:27, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 3:03 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
<snip>
>> Maybe, but there was discussion, and plenty of time for people to
>> object,
>> which noone did.
>
> Well, nobody in that discussion pointed out that we'd have to have a
> message that was that unfriendly :/  Had people known, they might have
> objected...

Looking at the current wording, eg example message from 3 hours ago:

   https://github.com/postgres/postgres/pull/41#issuecomment-502660775

The text now seems friendly enough, though it could do with a bit more
white space for readability:

> Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> mirror of our real git repositories though, and can't really handle
> PRs. :( Hopefully you can redo the PR, and direct it to the
> git.postgresql.org repos? We have a developer guide, if that
> helps:
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please visit
> https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html.

Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.

Is that feasible?

+ Justin

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Justin Clift (justin@postgresql.org) wrote:
> On 2019-06-17 23:27, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> >mirror of our real git repositories though, and can't really handle
> >PRs. :( Hopefully you can redo the PR, and direct it to the
> >git.postgresql.org repos? We have a developer guide, if that
> >helps: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> >If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please visit
> >https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html.
>
> Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.

Agreed.

What about:

--------------
Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
though, and can't really handle PRs. :(

If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
developer guide, here:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F

If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:

https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
--------------

Telling people to direct their PR to the git.postgresql.org repos
doesn't really make sense...

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

Date:
On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 4:00 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Justin Clift (justin@postgresql.org) wrote:
> On 2019-06-17 23:27, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> >mirror of our real git repositories though, and can't really handle
> >PRs. :( Hopefully you can redo the PR, and direct it to the
> >git.postgresql.org repos? We have a developer guide, if that
> >helps: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> >If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please visit
> >https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html.
>
> Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.

Agreed.

What about:

--------------
Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
though, and can't really handle PRs. :(

I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
developer guide, here:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F

If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:

https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
--------------

That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has a mirror there.

Telling people to direct their PR to the git.postgresql.org repos
doesn't really make sense...

Indeed. +1.

//Magnus

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 3:00 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Justin Clift (justin@postgresql.org) wrote:
> On 2019-06-17 23:27, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> >mirror of our real git repositories though, and can't really handle
> >PRs. :( Hopefully you can redo the PR, and direct it to the
> >git.postgresql.org repos? We have a developer guide, if that
> >helps: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> >If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please visit
> >https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html.
>
> Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.

Agreed.

What about:

--------------
Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
though, and can't really handle PRs. :(

If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
developer guide, here:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F

If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:

https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
--------------

Telling people to direct their PR to the git.postgresql.org repos
doesn't really make sense...

The real question is whether we can put \n in the message. YAML supports it - no idea if the app does.

Wanna send a patch for testing?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 4:00 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Justin Clift (justin@postgresql.org) wrote:
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > --------------
> > Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> > mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
> > though, and can't really handle PRs. :(
>
> I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

Sure, that's fine.

> > If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
> > developer guide, here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
> >
> > If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:
> >
> > https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
> > --------------
>
> That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has
> a mirror there.

Ah, yes, agreed.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 6:18 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 4:00 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Justin Clift (justin@postgresql.org) wrote:
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > --------------
> > Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> > mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
> > though, and can't really handle PRs. :(
>
> I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

Sure, that's fine.

> > If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
> > developer guide, here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
> >
> > If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:
> >
> > https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
> > --------------
>
> That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has
> a mirror there.

Ah, yes, agreed.

Is there any actual progress made here?

We're still sending badly formatted replies, and we're still sending replies to pgweb PRs that don't mention what to do about pgweb...

--

Date:
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 2:16 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 6:18 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 4:00 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Justin Clift (justin@postgresql.org) wrote:
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > --------------
> > Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> > mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
> > though, and can't really handle PRs. :(
>
> I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

Sure, that's fine.

> > If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
> > developer guide, here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
> >
> > If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:
> >
> > https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
> > --------------
>
> That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has
> a mirror there.

Ah, yes, agreed.

Is there any actual progress made here?

We're still sending badly formatted replies, and we're still sending replies to pgweb PRs that don't mention what to do about pgweb...

Ping?

This is still broken AFAICT...

--

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Dave Page

> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > --------------
> > Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> > mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
> > though, and can't really handle PRs. :(
>
> I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

Sure, that's fine.

> > If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
> > developer guide, here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
> >
> > If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:
> >
> > https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
> > --------------
>
> That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has
> a mirror there.

Ah, yes, agreed.

Is there any actual progress made here?

We're still sending badly formatted replies, and we're still sending replies to pgweb PRs that don't mention what to do about pgweb...

Ping?

This is still broken AFAICT...

As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment - it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a patch.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Magnus Hagander

> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > --------------
> > Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> > mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
> > though, and can't really handle PRs. :(
>
> I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

Sure, that's fine.

> > If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
> > developer guide, here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
> >
> > If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:
> >
> > https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
> > --------------
>
> That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has
> a mirror there.

Ah, yes, agreed.

Is there any actual progress made here?

We're still sending badly formatted replies, and we're still sending replies to pgweb PRs that don't mention what to do about pgweb...

Ping?

This is still broken AFAICT...

As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment - it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a patch.

It closes PRs for pgweb referencing postgresql and pgadmin, I consider that broken.

And yes, the message itself needs to be fixed as well.

--

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Dave Page

> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > --------------
> > Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> > mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
> > though, and can't really handle PRs. :(
>
> I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

Sure, that's fine.

> > If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
> > developer guide, here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
> >
> > If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:
> >
> > https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
> > --------------
>
> That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has
> a mirror there.

Ah, yes, agreed.

Is there any actual progress made here?

We're still sending badly formatted replies, and we're still sending replies to pgweb PRs that don't mention what to do about pgweb...

Ping?

This is still broken AFAICT...

As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment - it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a patch.

It closes PRs for pgweb referencing postgresql and pgadmin, I consider that broken.

And yes, the message itself needs to be fixed as well.

What do you mean "as well"? It's supposed to close PRs on all repos. The entire problem is the message as far as I can tell.

--

Date:
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > --------------
> > Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> > mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
> > though, and can't really handle PRs. :(
>
> I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

Sure, that's fine.

> > If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
> > developer guide, here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
> >
> > If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:
> >
> > https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
> > --------------
>
> That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has
> a mirror there.

Ah, yes, agreed.

Is there any actual progress made here?

We're still sending badly formatted replies, and we're still sending replies to pgweb PRs that don't mention what to do about pgweb...

Ping?

This is still broken AFAICT...

As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment - it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a patch.

It closes PRs for pgweb referencing postgresql and pgadmin, I consider that broken.

And yes, the message itself needs to be fixed as well.

What do you mean "as well"? It's supposed to close PRs on all repos. The entire problem is the message as far as I can tell.

I mean "as well" only in that it's not part of the suggested text above (which has not been implemented). I *am* just talking about the message, yes.

(Though I assume it is possible to turn it off for individual repos -- there have been discussions about for exampe moving pgweb to actually *use* github for a while as a POC for how things would or wouldn't work for our community, and it wouldn't be good if we've actually prevented any such things for the future..)

--

Date:
On 2019-07-12 00:10, Magnus Hagander wrote:
<snip>
> there have been discussions about for exampe moving pgweb to actually
> *use*
> github for a while as a POC for how things would or wouldn't work for
> our
> community ...

How feasible will that be to make happen?

As much as I strongly dislike MS, and GitHub themselves are doing dumb
things
recently (mostly UX wise), the network effect of having it on GitHub
would
probably mean more people contribute.

Saying that expecting pgweb to be fairly easy to grok enough to be make
useful
PRs. ;)

+ Justin

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Dave Page

> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > --------------
> > Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> > mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
> > though, and can't really handle PRs. :(
>
> I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

Sure, that's fine.

> > If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
> > developer guide, here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
> >
> > If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:
> >
> > https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
> > --------------
>
> That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has
> a mirror there.

Ah, yes, agreed.

Is there any actual progress made here?

We're still sending badly formatted replies, and we're still sending replies to pgweb PRs that don't mention what to do about pgweb...

Ping?

This is still broken AFAICT...

As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment - it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a patch.

It closes PRs for pgweb referencing postgresql and pgadmin, I consider that broken.

And yes, the message itself needs to be fixed as well.

What do you mean "as well"? It's supposed to close PRs on all repos. The entire problem is the message as far as I can tell.

I mean "as well" only in that it's not part of the suggested text above (which has not been implemented). I *am* just talking about the message, yes.

(Though I assume it is possible to turn it off for individual repos -- there have been discussions about for exampe moving pgweb to actually *use* github for a while as a POC for how things would or wouldn't work for our community, and it wouldn't be good if we've actually prevented any such things for the future..)

As I noted, the only way to do that is to have the config file be in each individual repo on which you want the bot to run, rather than globally. That would mean committing the .github directory to the main source tree :-(

--

Date:
On 2019-07-12 00:28, Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
> As I noted, the only way to do that is to have the config file be in
> each
> individual repo on which you want the bot to run, rather than globally.
> That would mean committing the .github directory to the main source
> tree
> :-(

Could we instead fork the code that runs, and have that do the things we
need?

Coming from the viewpoint of "we have an app already running at the
appropriate time, it just needs to operate a bit differently".

+ Justin

On 2019-07-12 00:28, Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
> As I noted, the only way to do that is to have the config file be in
> each
> individual repo on which you want the bot to run, rather than globally.
> That would mean committing the .github directory to the main source
> tree
> :-(

Could we instead fork the code that runs, and have that do the things we
need?

Possibly. We need to consider if there are any ramifications of doing so.

Coming from the viewpoint of "we have an app already running at the
appropriate time, it just needs to operate a bit differently".

+ Justin

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Magnus Hagander

> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > --------------
> > Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> > mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
> > though, and can't really handle PRs. :(
>
> I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

Sure, that's fine.

> > If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
> > developer guide, here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
> >
> > If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:
> >
> > https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
> > --------------
>
> That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has
> a mirror there.

Ah, yes, agreed.

Is there any actual progress made here?

We're still sending badly formatted replies, and we're still sending replies to pgweb PRs that don't mention what to do about pgweb...

Ping?

This is still broken AFAICT...

As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment - it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a patch.

It closes PRs for pgweb referencing postgresql and pgadmin, I consider that broken.

And yes, the message itself needs to be fixed as well.

What do you mean "as well"? It's supposed to close PRs on all repos. The entire problem is the message as far as I can tell.

I mean "as well" only in that it's not part of the suggested text above (which has not been implemented). I *am* just talking about the message, yes.

(Though I assume it is possible to turn it off for individual repos -- there have been discussions about for exampe moving pgweb to actually *use* github for a while as a POC for how things would or wouldn't work for our community, and it wouldn't be good if we've actually prevented any such things for the future..)

As I noted, the only way to do that is to have the config file be in each individual repo on which you want the bot to run, rather than globally. That would mean committing the .github directory to the main source tree :-(

Ugh. Had I known that I would've strongly objected to installing it in the first place.

No way to just remove it's permissions on some repos or something? Or it actually somehow has "organisation superpowers"?

--

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Dave Page

> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... that wall of text really could do with breaking up if possible.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > --------------
> > Thanks for your Pull Request! :) This repo on GitHub is just a
> > mirror of our real git repository (which lives on git.postgresql.org)
> > though, and can't really handle PRs. :(
>
> I would say "don't work with" rather than "can't handle".

Sure, that's fine.

> > If you'd like to see this change in PostgreSQL, please check out our
> > developer guide, here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F
> >
> > If this was a PR for pgAdmin, please see this guide instead:
> >
> > https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/submitting_patches.html
> > --------------
>
> That does sound a lot better. It should also include pgweb, which also has
> a mirror there.

Ah, yes, agreed.

Is there any actual progress made here?

We're still sending badly formatted replies, and we're still sending replies to pgweb PRs that don't mention what to do about pgweb...

Ping?

This is still broken AFAICT...

As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment - it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a patch.

It closes PRs for pgweb referencing postgresql and pgadmin, I consider that broken.

And yes, the message itself needs to be fixed as well.

What do you mean "as well"? It's supposed to close PRs on all repos. The entire problem is the message as far as I can tell.

I mean "as well" only in that it's not part of the suggested text above (which has not been implemented). I *am* just talking about the message, yes.

(Though I assume it is possible to turn it off for individual repos -- there have been discussions about for exampe moving pgweb to actually *use* github for a while as a POC for how things would or wouldn't work for our community, and it wouldn't be good if we've actually prevented any such things for the future..)

As I noted, the only way to do that is to have the config file be in each individual repo on which you want the bot to run, rather than globally. That would mean committing the .github directory to the main source tree :-(

Ugh. Had I known that I would've strongly objected to installing it in the first place.

Well you and I did discuss it on the 17th June. Granted that was right after the initial installation, but still.

No way to just remove it's permissions on some repos or something? Or it actually somehow has "organisation superpowers"?

It has superpowers. The config lives in a specific directory on a specially named repo that Github use for such things.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Install github app to automatically close PRs on github mirror

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2019-Jul-11, Dave Page wrote:

> > Ping?
> >
> > This is still broken AFAICT...
>
> As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment -
> it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a
> patch.

This hasn't changed yet ...

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 8:01 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2019-Jul-11, Dave Page wrote:

> > Ping?
> >
> > This is still broken AFAICT...
>
> As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment -
> it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a
> patch.

This hasn't changed yet ...

And here's another 3 month reminder that this is still a todo.

--

Date:
On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 4:24 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>> > As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment -
>> > it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a
>> > patch.
>>
>> This hasn't changed yet ...
>

> And here's another 3 month reminder that this is still a todo.

Oh look, another 3 months have passed, and it's still broken. Are
there *any* plans to fix this?

If not, I guess we have to split up and create a second organisation
"postgres2" or something and move repos over there. But I'm not sure
that's better than just reverting this change until such a time that
someone finds a tool that actually works in our scenario.

For example, there have been discussions of trialing the use of the
github workflow for pgweb, to see if that encourages contributions.
This software now effectively makes that impossible to even trial.

And FWIW, in the 6 months or so it's been out there,it's closed a
massive 6 PRs in postgres, and 2 in pgadmin. So it's not like it's
doing a lot of actual productive work.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 9:45 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 4:24 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>> > As far as I'm aware there's nothing actually broken there at the moment -
>> > it just needs an improved message for which I suggested Stephen send a
>> > patch.
>>
>> This hasn't changed yet ...
>

> And here's another 3 month reminder that this is still a todo.

Oh look, another 3 months have passed, and it's still broken. Are
there *any* plans to fix this?

As I said last time, I was waiting for a patch from Stephen, which is why it wasn't on my TODO. I've pushed a fix to redirect any pgweb PRs, which is what you said upstream you were looking for.

If not, I guess we have to split up and create a second organisation
"postgres2" or something and move repos over there. But I'm not sure
that's better than just reverting this change until such a time that
someone finds a tool that actually works in our scenario.

For example, there have been discussions of trialing the use of the
github workflow for pgweb, to see if that encourages contributions.
This software now effectively makes that impossible to even trial.

Meh. It takes 30 seconds to change the config so it doesn't apply to a particular repo. Want me to do that?

Date:
On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 11:04 AM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 9:45 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>> > And here's another 3 month reminder that this is still a todo.
>>
>> Oh look, another 3 months have passed, and it's still broken. Are
>> there *any* plans to fix this?
>

> As I said last time, I was waiting for a patch from Stephen, which is why it wasn't on my TODO. I've pushed a fix to
redirectany pgweb PRs, which is what you said upstream you were looking for.

Thanks!

>> If not, I guess we have to split up and create a second organisation
>> "postgres2" or something and move repos over there. But I'm not sure
>> that's better than just reverting this change until such a time that
>> someone finds a tool that actually works in our scenario.
>>
>> For example, there have been discussions of trialing the use of the
>> github workflow for pgweb, to see if that encourages contributions.
>> This software now effectively makes that impossible to even trial.
>

> Meh. It takes 30 seconds to change the config so it doesn't apply to a particular repo. Want me to do that?

Oh. Last I was told, this was impossible and in that case had to be
done manually on every repo that it was used (such as the main
postgres repo).

If it can actually be turned on/off at a repo based level now, that
makes it a lot more useful. Any chance it can also actually have a
different *message* on the different repos, so that postgres doesn't
refer to pgadmin and pgadmin doesn't refer to postgres?

--

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 10:17 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
Meh. It takes 30 seconds to change the config so it doesn't apply to a particular repo. Want me to do that?

Oh. Last I was told, this was impossible and in that case had to be
done manually on every repo that it was used (such as the main
postgres repo).

If it can actually be turned on/off at a repo based level now, that
makes it a lot more useful. Any chance it can also actually have a
different *message* on the different repos, so that postgres doesn't
refer to pgadmin and pgadmin doesn't refer to postgres?

No, that's what's not possible.

The app requires two things:

- The app itself which is installed in Github, and can be configured to work with either all or select repos in the account.

- The app configuration. This can either be in a .github directory in each individual repo, in which case it applies to that repo. Obviously we don't want that as it'll clutter the PG/pgAdmin/pgweb repos. Alternatively, it can be in a .github directory in a repo called .github, in which case it applies to all repos.

So, we can disable the app entirely for different repos, but we can only customise it globally, unless we put the config in the individual project repos.