Should we still have old release notes in docs?

From
Greg Stark
Date:
I was just perusing our PDF docs for the first time in ages and
realized that of the 3,400+ pages of docs there's about 1,000 pages of
release notes in it.... That seems like a bit overkill.

I love having the old release notes online but perhaps they can be
somewhere other than the main docs? We could limit the current docs to
including the release notes for just the supported versions -- after
all you can always get the old release notes in the old docs
themselves.

--
greg

Re: Should we still have old release notes in docs?

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2019-02-12 11:00:51 -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> I was just perusing our PDF docs for the first time in ages and
> realized that of the 3,400+ pages of docs there's about 1,000 pages of
> release notes in it.... That seems like a bit overkill.
>
> I love having the old release notes online but perhaps they can be
> somewhere other than the main docs? We could limit the current docs to
> including the release notes for just the supported versions -- after
> all you can always get the old release notes in the old docs
> themselves.

You're behind the times, that just happened (in a pretty uncoordinated
manner).

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Should we still have old release notes in docs?

Date:
> On 2019-02-12 11:00:51 -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
>> I love having the old release notes online but perhaps they can be
>> somewhere other than the main docs? We could limit the current docs to
>> including the release notes for just the supported versions -- after
>> all you can always get the old release notes in the old docs
>> themselves.

> You're behind the times, that just happened (in a pretty uncoordinated
> manner).

Yeah, see 527b5ed1a et al.

The part about having a unified release-note archive somewhere else is
still WIP.  The ball is in the web team's court on that, I think.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Should we still have old release notes in docs?

From
Dave Page

> On 12 Feb 2019, at 16:00, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
>
> I was just perusing our PDF docs for the first time in ages and
> realized that of the 3,400+ pages of docs there's about 1,000 pages of
> release notes in it.... That seems like a bit overkill.
>
> I love having the old release notes online but perhaps they can be
> somewhere other than the main docs? We could limit the current docs to
> including the release notes for just the supported versions -- after
> all you can always get the old release notes in the old docs
> themselves

+1. It does seem excessive.

Re: Should we still have old release notes in docs?

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
> On Feb 12, 2019, at 5:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> The part about having a unified release-note archive somewhere else is
> still WIP.  The ball is in the web team's court on that, I think.

Yes - we are going to try one thing with the existing way we load docs to try to avoid
additional structural changes. If that doesn’t work, we will reconvene
and see what we need to do.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: Should we still have old release notes in docs?

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Tom Lane schrieb am 12.02.2019 um 17:12:
> Yeah, see 527b5ed1a et al.
>
> The part about having a unified release-note archive somewhere else is
> still WIP.  The ball is in the web team's court on that, I think.

The Bucardo team has already done that:

https://bucardo.org/postgres_all_versions.html

Date:
On 2/12/19 5:45 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

>> On Feb 12, 2019, at 5:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> The part about having a unified release-note archive somewhere else is
>> still WIP.  The ball is in the web team's court on that, I think.
>
> Yes - we are going to try one thing with the existing way we load docs to try to avoid
> additional structural changes. If that doesn’t work, we will reconvene
> and see what we need to do.

I've proposed a patch for this here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/e0f09c9a-bd2b-862a-d379-601dfabc8969%40postgresql.org

Thanks,