Policies -> Website patch

From
Dave Page
Date:
At the FOSDEM/PGDay Developer meeting I was voluntold to move the
policies we have on the wiki to the website. Attached is the patch to
do just that.

I have not included the following policies, which I believe need attention:

Contributor Listings - Need to rewrite for new team
Booth Policies - Why? pg.org doesn't run conferences.
Release Prep - Quite outdated?

Thoughts on the above?

The following need to be updated by the Funds group as in many ways
they don't match reality:

Fundraising Group (page title: Sponsorship)
The PostgreSQL SPI Charter (page title: PGFGCharter)
How the Fundraising Group votes (page title: PGFGVotes)
Fundraising Group members (page title: PGFGMembers)

I'll let the funds team know.

OK to go on the patch?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment

Re: Policies -> Website patch

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 06/02/2019 17:53, Dave Page wrote:
> At the FOSDEM/PGDay Developer meeting I was voluntold to move the
> policies we have on the wiki to the website. Attached is the patch to
> do just that.

I'm not sure about the premise here.  Having some policies on the wiki
allows teams to maintain them autonomously.  Moving them to the web site
would make that much harder.

Re: Policies -> Website patch

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 10:50 AM Peter Eisentraut

> On 06/02/2019 17:53, Dave Page wrote:
> > At the FOSDEM/PGDay Developer meeting I was voluntold to move the
> > policies we have on the wiki to the website. Attached is the patch to
> > do just that.
>
> I'm not sure about the premise here.  Having some policies on the wiki
> allows teams to maintain them autonomously.  Moving them to the web site
> would make that much harder.

Good! Right now they're either locked so that only wiki admins can
change them, or completely open so anyone can edit them risking
changes that we don't notice.

This removes the bottleneck for the ones that are locked, and
introduces a review step for the other.

It also legitimises them by putting them one the main site instead of
a wiki, which has been discussed and said to be a good idea many times
over the years. Further, it helps us have them all in one place, as
right now there are a number of policies on the website (two of which
I forgot to add to the index in the patch), and a bunch on the wiki.

I'd also note that for the most part the ones on the wiki that have
actually been kept up to date are the ones maintained by the web team
and areas they cross over into significantly.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Policies -> Website patch

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 6 Feb 2019, at 17:53, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> OK to go on the patch?

A few comments:

+    <li>Accurate contact information

Lacks an ending </li> tag

+<ul>
+    <li>Each listing must include:
+        <ul>
+            <li>Specific locations and dates for that specific training</li>

Can’t the “Each listing must include” heading be included in the previous
paragraph to avoid the nested list?

+            href="http://blog.2ndquadrant.com/planetary_alignment/“>Planetary

This URL will redirect to https, so we might as well link to that directly.

+            href="http://www.postgresql.org/community/contributors/“>PostgreSQL

Use https URL

+<h1>Professional Services and Hosting Approval Policy <i
+        class="fas fa-gavel"></i></h1>

Please avoid linebreaking the tag, it makes for poor readability.

+    <li>Use of Postgresql.org, its mailing lists, or associated forums and

Lowercase ‘postgresql.org’ for consistency?

+The PostgreSQL Community Association of Canada has designated the PostgreSQL Core Team to be its authoritative agent
inmost matters regarding

Should be in <p> .. </p>

cheers ./daniel

Re: Policies -> Website patch

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 8:46 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> > On 6 Feb 2019, at 17:53, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
> > OK to go on the patch?
>
> A few comments:
>
> +    <li>Accurate contact information
>
> Lacks an ending </li> tag

Fixed.

> +<ul>
> +    <li>Each listing must include:
> +        <ul>
> +            <li>Specific locations and dates for that specific training</li>

> Can’t the “Each listing must include” heading be included in the previous
> paragraph to avoid the nested list?

That's how it is in the current policy. I'm trying not to change them
from the original (that's another task for someone, to review and
update everything).

> +            href="http://blog.2ndquadrant.com/planetary_alignment/“>Planetary
>
> This URL will redirect to https, so we might as well link to that directly.
>
> +            href="http://www.postgresql.org/community/contributors/“>PostgreSQL
>
> Use https URL

Done.

> +<h1>Professional Services and Hosting Approval Policy <i
> +        class="fas fa-gavel"></i></h1>
>
> Please avoid linebreaking the tag, it makes for poor readability.

Stupid editor :-). Fixed.

> +    <li>Use of Postgresql.org, its mailing lists, or associated forums and
>
> Lowercase ‘postgresql.org’ for consistency?

Fixed, along with a 'PostgreSQL.org' (we really should have that as
some sort of styleguide item).

> +The PostgreSQL Community Association of Canada has designated the PostgreSQL Core Team to be its authoritative agent
inmost matters regarding

> Should be in <p> .. </p>

Fixed.

I've also added the conference and NPO recognition guidelines to the index page.

Updated patch attached. Thanks!

--

Date:
> On 8 Feb 2019, at 12:35, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 8:46 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

>> Can’t the “Each listing must include” heading be included in the previous
>> paragraph to avoid the nested list?
>
> That's how it is in the current policy. I'm trying not to change them
> from the original (that's another task for someone, to review and
> update everything).

Fair enough, makes sense.

> I've also added the conference and NPO recognition guidelines to the index page.
>
> Updated patch attached. Thanks!

+1 to merge this version of the patch.  Will you replace the wiki articles with
a link to the corresponding page?  AFAICR this part of the migration wasn't
discussed when this move was decided upon.

cheers ./daniel

Re: Policies -> Website patch

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 1:06 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> > On 8 Feb 2019, at 12:35, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 8:46 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>
> >> Can’t the “Each listing must include” heading be included in the previous
> >> paragraph to avoid the nested list?
> >
> > That's how it is in the current policy. I'm trying not to change them
> > from the original (that's another task for someone, to review and
> > update everything).
>
> Fair enough, makes sense.
>
> > I've also added the conference and NPO recognition guidelines to the index page.
> >
> > Updated patch attached. Thanks!
>
> +1 to merge this version of the patch.  Will you replace the wiki articles with
> a link to the corresponding page?  AFAICR this part of the migration wasn't
> discussed when this move was decided upon.

Yes I will.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Policies -> Website patch

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi,

On 2/8/19 8:06 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 1:06 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

>>> That's how it is in the current policy. I'm trying not to change them
>>> from the original (that's another task for someone, to review and
>>> update everything).
>>
>> Fair enough, makes sense.
>>
>>> I've also added the conference and NPO recognition guidelines to the index page.
>>>
>>> Updated patch attached. Thanks!
>>
>> +1 to merge this version of the patch.
Going through the patch and site flow, I would recommend a few changes
first, but also have a few questions (so -1 for now, but hopefully a +1
soon). First let me start with a navigation thing I noticed:

We now have "About => Policies" where these are listed, which replaced
the direct link to Code of Conduct + Committee. In the global footer, we
have "Privacy Policy | Code of Conduct | ...". I'll also note in the
list of policies on the Policy page, we don't have the Privacy Policy there.

So, here is what I suggest (and this is accompanied in the attached patch):

1. In the global footer, s/Privacy Policy/Policies/; leave CoC
2. With change in #1, I think it's ok if CoC is rolled into the Policies
page vis-a-vis the "About" nav, as long as we make it abundantly clear
how to contact in the event of any complaints.
3. Also updated the URL for the Privacy Policy to be consistent with the
others; added in a permanent redirect
4. Some reorganization of the Policies page
5. I removed "Recognition Guidelines" from the "Community" page as this
is now rolled into policies.
6. Wording changes (not in the policies themselves) to remove some
redundancy, make it clearer to users what things are, etc.

I also made a fix to the blockquote formatting, as it looked odd. On the
website itself, it was only being used in old press kits, and we
explicitly overwrite blockquotes for the documentation so that is not a
concern.

As a follow-up patch (which will not hold up this one), I will add links
to the different policies from pages where they are appropriate (e.g. a
link to the news policy from the news article submission page).

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment

Re: Policies -> Website patch

From
Dave Page
Date:
Thanks - applied with minor tweaks to use the gavel icon on the
Privacy Policy and add the last updated date.