static global variable openLogOff in xlog.c seems no longer used

From
"Takashi Menjo"
Date:
Hi,

Because of pg_pwrite()[1], openLogOff, a static global variable in xlog.c,
seems taken over by a local variable startoffset and no longer used now.

I write the attached patch that removes openLogOff. Both "make check" and
"make installcheck" passed, and just after that, "pg_ctl -m immediate stop"
then "pg_ctl start" looked OK.

Regards,
Takashi

[1] See commit c24dcd0cfd949bdf245814c4c2b3df828ee7db36.

--
Takashi Menjo - NTT Software Innovation Center
<menjo.takashi@lab.ntt.co.jp>

Attachment

Re: static global variable openLogOff in xlog.c seems no longer used

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 11:49:37AM +0900, Takashi Menjo wrote:
> Because of pg_pwrite()[1], openLogOff, a static global variable in xlog.c,
> seems taken over by a local variable startoffset and no longer used
> now.

It seems to me that keeping openLogOff is still useful to get a report
about the full chunk area being written if the data gets written in
multiple chunks and fails afterwards.  Your patch would modify the
report so as only the area with the partial write is reported.  For
debugging, having a static reference is also useful in my opinion.
--
Michael

Date:
Michael Paquier wrote:
> It seems to me that keeping openLogOff is still useful to get a report
> about the full chunk area being written if the data gets written in
> multiple chunks and fails afterwards.  Your patch would modify the
> report so as only the area with the partial write is reported.  For
> debugging, having a static reference is also useful in my opinion.

I agree with you on both error reporting and debugging.  Now that you
mention it, I find that my patch modifies ereport...

When I wrote a patchset to xlog.c (in another email thread), I thought that
this can be fixed. But now I understand it is not a simple thing.  Thank
you.

Regards,
Takashi