Website "Up" link

Date:
I don't see an "Up" link when I am on the first level submenu, e.g.:

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/appendixes.html

If I am pressing "Up" from a sub-submenu, it would be good to have an
"Up" link here too.

Re: Website "Up" link

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On 12/31/18 6:58 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I don't see an "Up" link when I am on the first level submenu, e.g.:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/appendixes.html
>
> If I am pressing "Up" from a sub-submenu, it would be good to have an
> "Up" link here too.

That section of the documentation is loaded in from the source SGML/XML
files - it would have to be added in there.

If I were to take a guess as to why it is that way, it is because that
"Up" from that section is in actuality the same thing as home "Home."
That said, perhaps the better UX is to keep it consistent, and have "Up"
available as long as you can navigate up the doc tree.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Attachment

Re: Website "Up" link

Date:
On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 07:37:54PM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> On 12/31/18 6:58 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I don't see an "Up" link when I am on the first level submenu, e.g.:
> >
> >     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/appendixes.html
> >
> > If I am pressing "Up" from a sub-submenu, it would be good to have an
> > "Up" link here too.
>
> That section of the documentation is loaded in from the source SGML/XML
> files - it would have to be added in there.
>
> If I were to take a guess as to why it is that way, it is because that
> "Up" from that section is in actuality the same thing as home "Home."
> That said, perhaps the better UX is to keep it consistent, and have "Up"
> available as long as you can navigate up the doc tree.

Yes, that was my conclusion as well.  We had this issue with the old
style sheets too, and I think it was fixed.

Re: Website "Up" link

Date:
On Wed, Jan  2, 2019 at 09:45:52AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 07:37:54PM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> > On 12/31/18 6:58 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I don't see an "Up" link when I am on the first level submenu, e.g.:
> > >
> > >     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/appendixes.html
> > >
> > > If I am pressing "Up" from a sub-submenu, it would be good to have an
> > > "Up" link here too.
> >
> > That section of the documentation is loaded in from the source SGML/XML
> > files - it would have to be added in there.
> >
> > If I were to take a guess as to why it is that way, it is because that
> > "Up" from that section is in actuality the same thing as home "Home."
> > That said, perhaps the better UX is to keep it consistent, and have "Up"
> > available as long as you can navigate up the doc tree.
>
> Yes, that was my conclusion as well.  We had this issue with the old
> style sheets too, and I think it was fixed.

FYI, Peter Eisentraut has fixed this.

Re: Website "Up" link

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On 9/8/20 3:10 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Jan  2, 2019 at 09:45:52AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> That section of the documentation is loaded in from the source SGML/XML
>>> files - it would have to be added in there.
>>>
>>> If I were to take a guess as to why it is that way, it is because that
>>> "Up" from that section is in actuality the same thing as home "Home."
>>> That said, perhaps the better UX is to keep it consistent, and have "Up"
>>> available as long as you can navigate up the doc tree.
>>
>> Yes, that was my conclusion as well.  We had this issue with the old
>> style sheets too, and I think it was fixed.
>
> FYI, Peter Eisentraut has fixed this.

Excellent. So that will become available on the pgweb side for supported
releases the next time the docs are loaded, which will be at the next
scheduled update in November.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Attachment

Re: Website "Up" link

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 9:35 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 9/8/20 3:10 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Jan  2, 2019 at 09:45:52AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> That section of the documentation is loaded in from the source SGML/XML
>>> files - it would have to be added in there.
>>>
>>> If I were to take a guess as to why it is that way, it is because that
>>> "Up" from that section is in actuality the same thing as home "Home."
>>> That said, perhaps the better UX is to keep it consistent, and have "Up"
>>> available as long as you can navigate up the doc tree.
>>
>> Yes, that was my conclusion as well.  We had this issue with the old
>> style sheets too, and I think it was fixed.
>
> FYI, Peter Eisentraut has fixed this.

Excellent. So that will become available on the pgweb side for supported
releases the next time the docs are loaded, which will be at the next
scheduled update in November.

AFAICT it's only been fixed in the master branch, so unless you're looking at the devel docs you'll be waiting a year longer. And if you're looking at the devel docs, it should already be visible.

--

Re: Website "Up" link

Date:
On Tue, Sep  8, 2020 at 10:06:32PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 9:35 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>     Excellent. So that will become available on the pgweb side for supported
>     releases the next time the docs are loaded, which will be at the next
>     scheduled update in November.
>
> AFAICT it's only been fixed in the master branch, so unless you're looking at
> the devel docs you'll be waiting a year longer. And if you're looking at the
> devel docs, it should already be visible.

It was later backpatched to all supported releases.