Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM

From
Sachin Kotwal
Date:
Hi PostgreSQL lovers,

I heard news that Redhat is going to acquired by IBM. IBM has its on database. And they have history of selling applications with their own hardware (software and hardware together).

As per my knowledge PostgreSQL community has better support for Redhat family than any other platforms.

Does community is going to support/focus more Debian platforms ?
Does community has any plan to switch their main supported platform?
Please share if any other plan.

--

Thanks and Regards,
Sachin Kotwal

Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM

From
Chris Travers

I heard news that Redhat is going to acquired by IBM. IBM has its on database. And they have history of selling applications with their own hardware (software and hardware together).

As per my knowledge PostgreSQL community has better support for Redhat family than any other platforms.

I don't know that is the case.  PostgreSQL support is different on Debian, RedHat, Gentoo, etc.  The Debian folks, for example have a lot of tooling around running many different instances of different versions on the same host (as does Gentoo by the way).  In that respect, RedHat seems behind ;-)  On the other hand, that lack of functionality means running it on RedHat is a bit simpler if more limited.

I say this as someone who has a lot of experience running PostgreSQL on all of the above.  The platforms are different in how they approach PostgreSQL and what they want you to be able to do with it.

Does community is going to support/focus more Debian platforms ?

As the community is growing I suspect that all platforms will get more focus.  But usually the question is what the distro does to support PostgreSQL for their own use cases.

Does community has any plan to switch their main supported platform?

That question makes no sense.  We don't have a main supported platform.

Please share if any other plan.

--

Thanks and Regards,
Sachin Kotwal

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.

Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM

From
Ravi Krishna
Date:
Well your information needs some update.

- On AIX, IBM had no issues selling Oracle, a rival to DB2.
- IBM Global Services, a consulting unit was the single biggest sales force for Oracle Installations outside
  Oracle. In other words, they ended up using Oracle for projects done by IGM-GS more than DB2.
  This was true some 10 yrs ago. Oracle use to point it out , with glee.
- Many years ago I was informed that Enterprise DB was funded by IBM.  Don't know how much it is true.

Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM

From
legrand legrand
Date:
Ravi Krishna-9 wrote
> Well your information needs some update.
>
> - On AIX, IBM had no issues selling Oracle, a rival to DB2.
> - IBM Global Services, a consulting unit was the single biggest sales
> force for Oracle Installations outside
>   Oracle. In other words, they ended up using Oracle for projects done by
> IGM-GS more than DB2.
>   This was true some 10 yrs ago. Oracle use to point it out , with glee.
> - Many years ago I was informed that Enterprise DB was funded by IBM.
> Don't know how much it is true.

There (is)was a IBM DB2 Oracle compatibily feature, and IBM was interested
by EDB Oracle compatibility one:
https://www.enterprisedb.com/fr/news/enterprisedb-and-ibm%C2%AE-collaborate-integrate-technology-new-version-db2

But IBM didn't bought EDB and it that will make it even more difficult for
Oracle ;o)

Regards
PAscal

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 11/13/18 11:04 PM, Sachin Kotwal wrote:
> Hi PostgreSQL lovers,
>
> I heard news that Redhat is going to acquired by IBM. IBM has its on
> database. And they have history of selling applications with their own
> hardware (software and hardware together).
>
> As per my knowledge PostgreSQL community has better support for Redhat
> family than any other platforms.

Not seeing it:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/

> Does community is going to support/focus more Debian platforms ?
> Does community has any plan to switch their main supported platform?

There is no main supported platform. There is the source and there are
packaging built off the source. The packaging is done by a diverse group
of people. So for example the RPMS:

https://yum.postgresql.org/contact.php

Devrim Gündüz    EDB

Jeff Frost    PGX

Craig Ringer    2ndQuadrant

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Looks like no one have clear idea yet and deal also not completely done.
Hope Redhat community support will continue same as earlier.

Let's wait until something will announce by community is coming days.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Regards,
Sachin

--

Date:
On 11/14/18 10:39 PM, Sachin Kotwal wrote:

> Looks like no one have clear idea yet and deal also not completely done.

Barring some regulatory intervention(which I do not see) the deal will
be completed.

> Hope Redhat community support will continue same as earlier.
>
> Let's wait until something will announce by community is coming days.

Not sure what announcement you are expecting? From what I see nothing
has changed so there is no need for any.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On Thu 15 Nov, 2018, 7:59 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com wrote:
On 11/14/18 10:39 PM, Sachin Kotwal wrote:

> Looks like no one have clear idea yet and deal also not completely done.

Barring some regulatory intervention(which I do not see) the deal will
be completed.

> Hope Redhat community support will continue same as earlier.
>
> Let's wait until something will announce by community is coming days.

Not sure what announcement you are expecting? From what I see nothing
has changed so there is no need for any.
 does.

I know community does not provide postgresql  binaries for windows, EnterpriseDB and OpenSCG

I feel community has most of linux based instance in thier buildfarm for testing, might be very few Ubuntu based.
I might be wrong here.

Anyways , we can conclude discussion with "No need to worry about Redhat acquisition as PostgreSQL having really strong position in market"

Thanks,
Sachin

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 11/15/18 7:59 AM, Sachin Kotwal wrote:

> On Thu 15 Nov, 2018, 7:59 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
> <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
>     On 11/14/18 10:39 PM, Sachin Kotwal wrote:
>      >

>      >
>      > Looks like no one have clear idea yet and deal also not
>     completely done.
>
>     Barring some regulatory intervention(which I do not see) the deal will
>     be completed.
>
>      > Hope Redhat community support will continue same as earlier.
>      >
>      > Let's wait until something will announce by community is coming days.
>
>     Not sure what announcement you are expecting? From what I see nothing
>     has changed so there is no need for any.
>       does.
>

> I know community does not provide postgresql  binaries for windows,
> EnterpriseDB and OpenSCG

Actually it does, those companies are part of the community.

> I feel community has most of linux based instance in thier buildfarm for
> testing, might be very few Ubuntu based.
> I might be wrong here.

Easy enough to see:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_members.pl

> Anyways , we can conclude discussion with "No need to worry about Redhat
> acquisition as PostgreSQL having really strong position in market"
>
> Thanks,
> Sachin
>
>      >
>      > Thanks all for your inputs.
>      >
>      > Regards,
>      > Sachin
>      >
>      > --
>      >
>      > Thanks and Regards,
>      > Sachin Kotwal
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2018-Nov-15, Sachin Kotwal wrote:

> I feel community has most of linux based instance in thier buildfarm for
> testing, might be very few Ubuntu based.

If you feel the need to run more buildfarm members on Ubuntu, run some
yourself.  It's self-service.

Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 5:07 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/18 7:59 AM, Sachin Kotwal wrote:
> > I feel community has most of linux based instance in thier buildfarm for
> > testing, might be very few Ubuntu based.
> > I might be wrong here.
>
> Easy enough to see:
>
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_members.pl

Out of curiosity, here are the current counts for HEAD:

Linux distros:
  Amazon Linux: 1
  Arch Linux: 1
  CentOS: 9
  Debian: 34
  Fedora: 5
  Photon: 1
  Raspbian: 2
  RHEL: 8
  SUSE: 7
  Ubuntu: 7

BSD diaspora:
  DragonflyBSD: 1
  FreeBSD: 6
  NetBSD: 2
  OpenBSD: 1

OpenSolaris diapora:
  OmniOS: 1
  SmartOS: 1

Other Unixen:
  AIX: 4
  HP-UX: 3
  macOS: 4

Windows:
  Windows: 6
  Cygwin: 1

I wouldn't be too worried about any of these, especially the open
ones.  Closed Solaris, though, is apparently dead to us.  Nobody cares
enough to build HEAD on it anymore, and for example 3a769d82 (reflink
support for pg_upgrade) went in without consideration of Solaris 11.4
reflink().  I've personally moved to the 'acceptance' phase of grief;
all three Unixes that I cut my teeth on in the 90s are now either
formally dead and buried or in this case, a zombie.

From personal observations, I know that we have developers and
committers doing their primary development work on at least Debian,
Fedora, FreeBSD, macOS, Ubuntu and Windows.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

On Fri 16 Nov, 2018, 1:06 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com wrote:
On 2018-Nov-15, Sachin Kotwal wrote:

> I feel community has most of linux based instance in thier buildfarm for
> testing, might be very few Ubuntu based.

If you feel the need to run more buildfarm members on Ubuntu, run some
yourself.  It's self-service.

Missed to do reply all so doing here.

I would love to do it. Only help me if i found any issue while doing it and I know community always do that , that is why i love PostgreSQL and it's community.

We already have 120+ production instances running on Ubuntu.
I will start testing new releases from source on Ubuntu as well.

Thanks,
Sachin

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

On Fri 16 Nov, 2018, 3:36 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com wrote:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 5:07 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/18 7:59 AM, Sachin Kotwal wrote:
> > I feel community has most of linux based instance in thier buildfarm for
> > testing, might be very few Ubuntu based.
> > I might be wrong here.
>
> Easy enough to see:
>
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_members.pl

Out of curiosity, here are the current counts for HEAD:

Linux distros:
  Amazon Linux: 1
  Arch Linux: 1
  CentOS: 9
  Debian: 34
  Fedora: 5
  Photon: 1
  Raspbian: 2
  RHEL: 8
  SUSE: 7
  Ubuntu: 7

BSD diaspora:
  DragonflyBSD: 1
  FreeBSD: 6
  NetBSD: 2
  OpenBSD: 1

OpenSolaris diapora:
  OmniOS: 1
  SmartOS: 1

Other Unixen:
  AIX: 4
  HP-UX: 3
  macOS: 4

Windows:
  Windows: 6
  Cygwin: 1

I wouldn't be too worried about any of these, especially the open
ones.  Closed Solaris, though, is apparently dead to us.  Nobody cares
enough to build HEAD on it anymore, and for example 3a769d82 (reflink
support for pg_upgrade) went in without consideration of Solaris 11.4
reflink().  I've personally moved to the 'acceptance' phase of grief;
all three Unixes that I cut my teeth on in the 90s are now either
formally dead and buried or in this case, a zombie.

From personal observations, I know that we have developers and
committers doing their primary development work on at least Debian,
Fedora, FreeBSD, macOS, Ubuntu and Windows.

Thanks for detail head count and explanation.
It cleared me and i believe should have clear to all new community member that topic/subject doesn't make any effect on PostgreSQL future.

Regards,
Sachin

Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 5:07 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 11/15/18 7:59 AM, Sachin Kotwal wrote:

> On Thu 15 Nov, 2018, 7:59 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
> <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
>     On 11/14/18 10:39 PM, Sachin Kotwal wrote:

>      > Hope Redhat community support will continue same as earlier.
>      >
>      > Let's wait until something will announce by community is coming days.
>
>     Not sure what announcement you are expecting? From what I see nothing
>     has changed so there is no need for any.
>       does.
>

> I know community does not provide postgresql  binaries for windows,
> EnterpriseDB and OpenSCG

Actually it does, those companies are part of the community.

If there is a worry about companies that have been acquired (like RedHat), then remember that one of those (OpenSCG) has also been acquired by a "giant corporation". The same could obviously happen with EDB at some point.

That in itself doesn't prevent them from continuing to provide their services in the form of creating installers. And as long as the source to the installers is open, somebody else can pick it up in case they don't.