pgsql: Fix configure's snprintf test so it exposes HP-UX bug.

Date:
Fix configure's snprintf test so it exposes HP-UX bug.

Since commit e1d19c902, buildfarm member gharial has been failing with
symptoms indicating that snprintf sometimes returns -1 for buffer
overrun, even though it passes the added configure check.  Some
google research suggests that this happens only in limited cases,
such as when the overrun happens partway through a %d item.  Adjust
the configure check to exercise it that way.  Since I'm now feeling
more paranoid than I was before, also make the test explicitly verify
that the buffer doesn't get physically overrun.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9bed827b18cc4f27fb7cd7c02ad301519eca6d29

Modified Files
--------------
config/c-library.m4 | 11 ++++++++---
configure           |  9 ++++++---

Re: pgsql: Fix configure's snprintf test so it exposes HP-UX bug.

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2018-08-17 14:38:41 +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
> Fix configure's snprintf test so it exposes HP-UX bug.
>
> Since commit e1d19c902, buildfarm member gharial has been failing with
> symptoms indicating that snprintf sometimes returns -1 for buffer
> overrun, even though it passes the added configure check.  Some
> google research suggests that this happens only in limited cases,
> such as when the overrun happens partway through a %d item.  Adjust
> the configure check to exercise it that way.  Since I'm now feeling
> more paranoid than I was before, also make the test explicitly verify
> that the buffer doesn't get physically overrun.
>
> Branch
> ------
> master
>
> Details
> -------
> https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9bed827b18cc4f27fb7cd7c02ad301519eca6d29
>
> Modified Files
> --------------
> config/c-library.m4 | 11 ++++++++---
> configure           |  9 ++++++---

Afaictl this does not seem to have done the trick, gharial is still red?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: pgsql: Fix configure's snprintf test so it exposes HP-UX bug.

Date:
> On 2018-08-17 14:38:41 +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Fix configure's snprintf test so it exposes HP-UX bug.

> Afaictl this does not seem to have done the trick, gharial is still red?

Yeah :-(.  If I had access to that machine, I'd attempt to fix it.
I've not been able to get the owner's attention though.

However, it's probably moot in view of the fact that I'm now proposing
to replace snprintf unconditionally, so that this configure test is
going to go away again anyhow.

            regards, tom lane