Fix help option of contrib/oid2name

From
Tatsuro Yamada
Date:
Hi,

Almost all client applications and extensions will show "Options" and
"Connection options" sections when running with help option (--help).
However, "oid2name" was different, there is only the Options section.
For example,

$ vacuumlo --help
     vacuumlo removes unreferenced large objects from databases.

     Usage:
       vacuumlo [OPTION]... DBNAME...

       -l LIMIT       commit after removing each LIMIT large objects
       -n             don't remove large objects, just show what would be done
       -v             write a lot of progress messages
       -V, --version  output version information, then exit
       -?, --help     show this help, then exit

     Connection options:
       -h HOSTNAME    database server host or socket directory
       -p PORT        database server port
       -U USERNAME    user name to connect as
       -w             never prompt for password
       -W             force password prompt

$ oid2name --help
     oid2name helps examining the file structure used by PostgreSQL.

     Usage:
       oid2name [OPTION]...

       -d DBNAME      database to connect to
       -f FILENODE    show info for table with given file node
       -H HOSTNAME    database server host or socket directory
       -i             show indexes and sequences too
       -o OID         show info for table with given OID
       -p PORT        database server port number
       -q             quiet (don't show headers)
       -s             show all tablespaces
       -S             show system objects too
       -t TABLE       show info for named table
       -U NAME        connect as specified database user
       -V, --version  output version information, then exit
       -x             extended (show additional columns)
       -?, --help     show this help, then exit

Above oid2name's "-d, -H, -p and -U" options are related to Connection
Options. So, it would be beter to write it in Connection options.
For consistency, attached patch divides the Options section of oid2name
into two sections, Options and Connection options.

Regards,
Tatsuro Yamada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment

Re: Fix help option of contrib/oid2name

From
Laurenz Albe
Date:
Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> Almost all client applications and extensions will show "Options" and
> "Connection options" sections when running with help option (--help).
> However, "oid2name" was different, there is only the Options section.
>
> For consistency, attached patch divides the Options section of oid2name
> into two sections, Options and Connection options.

I don't think it is super important, but +1 for consistency.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Fix help option of contrib/oid2name

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 12:40:42PM +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> I don't think it is super important, but +1 for consistency.

I agree on both points.  Any objections if I apply what's proposed here
on HEAD?
--
Michael

Date:
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 08:57:57PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I agree on both points.  Any objections if I apply what's proposed here
> on HEAD?

I have been looking at this patch.  And while consistency is nice, I
think that if we are cleaning up this stuff we could do a bit more to
be more consistent with the other binary tools:
- Addition of long options for connection options.
- removal of -h, and use it for host value instead of "-H".
- Use "USERNAME" instead of "NAME" in help().

vacuumlo could also be improved a bit...
--
Michael

Attachment

Re: Fix help option of contrib/oid2name

From
Tatsuro Yamada
Date:
Hi Laurenz and Michael,

On 2018/08/16 20:57, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 12:40:42PM +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
>> I don't think it is super important, but +1 for consistency.

Thanks! :)

> I agree on both points.  Any objections if I apply what's proposed here
> on HEAD?

I have no objection. The patch is for improvement, not bug fix.
But if you think it needs back-patch, please let me know, I can create it.

Thank you for taking your time!

Date:
On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 12:19:42PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> But if you think it needs back-patch, please let me know, I can create it.

This would not be back-patched.
--

Date:
On 2018/08/17 12:31, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 12:19:42PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
>> But if you think it needs back-patch, please let me know, I can create it.
>
> This would not be back-patched.

I see.

Thanks,
Tatsuro Yamada

Date:
On 2018/08/17 11:47, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 08:57:57PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> I agree on both points.  Any objections if I apply what's proposed here
>> on HEAD?
>
> I have been looking at this patch.  And while consistency is nice, I
> think that if we are cleaning up this stuff we could do a bit more to
> be more consistent with the other binary tools:
> - Addition of long options for connection options.
> - removal of -h, and use it for host value instead of "-H".
> - Use "USERNAME" instead of "NAME" in help().
>
> vacuumlo could also be improved a bit...

Yeah, I'll revise the patch based on your suggestions.

Regards,
Tatsuro Yamada

Date:
On 2018/08/17 12:42, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> On 2018/08/17 11:47, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 08:57:57PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>> I agree on both points.  Any objections if I apply what's proposed here
>>> on HEAD?
>>
>> I have been looking at this patch.  And while consistency is nice, I
>> think that if we are cleaning up this stuff we could do a bit more to
>> be more consistent with the other binary tools:
>> - Addition of long options for connection options.
>> - removal of -h, and use it for host value instead of "-H".
>> - Use "USERNAME" instead of "NAME" in help().
>>
>> vacuumlo could also be improved a bit...
>
> Yeah, I'll revise the patch based on your suggestions.

I created WIP patch for oid2name and vacuumlo includes followings:

   oid2name and vacuumlo
   - Add long options

   only oid2name
   - Replace -H with -h
   - Replace NAME with USERNAME

I'll revise their documents and create new patch next week, probably. :)

Regards,
Tatsuro Yamada

Attachment

Re: Fix help option of contrib/oid2name

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2018-Aug-17, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:

>   only oid2name
>   - Replace -H with -h

I think this one is a bad idea, as it'll break scripts.

Re: Fix help option of contrib/oid2name

Date:
> On 2018-Aug-17, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
>> only oid2name
>> - Replace -H with -h

> I think this one is a bad idea, as it'll break scripts.

Well, we can't remove the -H option, for that reason.  But I think
we could get away with repurposing -h to also mean "--host", rather
than "--help" as it is now.  Seems unlikely that any scripts are
depending on it to mean --help, nor are users likely to expect that
when none of our other programs treat it that way.

            regards, tom lane

On August 17, 2018 10:53:48 PM GMT+09:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Well, we can't remove the -H option, for that reason.  But I think
> we could get away with repurposing -h to also mean "--host", rather
> than "--help" as it is now.  Seems unlikely that any scripts are
> depending on it to mean --help, nor are users likely to expect that
> when none of our other programs treat it that way.

Yeah, I don't see much point in mapping -h to --help. Let's map silently -H to --host then. Would you prefer if -H is
stilldocumented? Or would it be better if it is not documented, mapping silently?
--
Michael

Re: Fix help option of contrib/oid2name

Date:
> On August 17, 2018 10:53:48 PM GMT+09:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Well, we can't remove the -H option, for that reason.  But I think
>> we could get away with repurposing -h to also mean "--host", rather
>> than "--help" as it is now.  Seems unlikely that any scripts are
>> depending on it to mean --help, nor are users likely to expect that
>> when none of our other programs treat it that way.

> Yeah, I don't see much point in mapping -h to --help. Let's map silently -H to --host then. Would you prefer if -H is
stilldocumented? Or would it be better if it is not documented, mapping silently?

I think it probably needs to stay documented, but we could mark it as
deprecated ...

            regards, tom lane

On August 18, 2018 10:52:33 AM GMT+09:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I think it probably needs to stay documented, but we could mark it as
> deprecated ...

Okay, no issues with doing so.

--
Michael

Date:
> On August 18, 2018 10:52:33 AM GMT+09:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think it probably needs to stay documented, but we could mark it as
>> deprecated ...
>
> Okay, no issues with doing so.

I revised the patch like following:

vacuumlo:
    Document
      - Add long options
      - Add environment section

oid2name:
    Document
      - Add long options
      - Add environment section
      - Remove deprecated and unhandled option "-P password"
    Code
      - Revive handling "-H host" option silently

I didn't add "-H" to the help message because it's a deprecated option.
I guess that that means "silently" as you said on previous email.
Should I add it?  For example,

    Not added "-H". (current patch)
    --------
    Connection options:
      -d, --dbname=DBNAME        database to connect to
      -h, --host=HOSTNAME        database server host or socket directory
      -p, --port=PORT            database server port number
      -U, --username=USERNAME    connect as specified database user
    --------

    Added "-H" to the help message after "-h"
    --------
    Connection options:
      -d, --dbname=DBNAME        database to connect to
      -h, -H, --host=HOSTNAME    database server host or socket directory
      -p, --port=PORT            database server port number
      -U, --username=USERNAME    connect as specified database user
    --------

Please find the attached patch.

Date:
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 12:30:29PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> vacuumlo:
>    Document
>      - Add long options
>      - Add environment section

Let's keep things simple by not adding long options where it is not
especially obvious, so I would suggest to keep the patch simple and just
add long options for connection options.

> oid2name:
>    Document
>      - Add long options
>      - Add environment section
>      - Remove deprecated and unhandled option "-P password"

Is this a good idea?  I doubt that it is used but keeping it would not
cause any breakage, and removing it could.

oid2name supports also PGDATABASE.

>    Code
>      - Revive handling "-H host" option silently
>
> I didn't add "-H" to the help message because it's a deprecated
> option.

It seems to me that this should be still documented in both --help and
in the docs, and that we should just mark it as deprecated in both.

> I guess that that means "silently" as you said on previous email.
> Should I add it?  For example,
>
> [...]

Let's use a different line for that.  See for example how pg_standby -k
is treated.

I can see why you have reordered the options, this is more consistent
with things in src/bin/scripts.

We could have as well some basic TAP tests for both utilities while on
it.  Something as simple as the first tests in 050_dropdb.pl would do a
fine first shot.
--

Date:
On 2018/08/20 13:54, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 12:30:29PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
>> vacuumlo:
>>     Document
>>       - Add long options
>>       - Add environment section
>
> Let's keep things simple by not adding long options where it is not
> especially obvious, so I would suggest to keep the patch simple and just
> add long options for connection options.

Okay.

>> oid2name:
>>     Document
>>       - Add long options
>>       - Add environment section
>>       - Remove deprecated and unhandled option "-P password"
>
> Is this a good idea?  I doubt that it is used but keeping it would not
> cause any breakage, and removing it could.

Yeah, why I remove that code is that there is no code to handle "-P" option,
and it caused error when executing the command with the option like this:

   $ oid2name -P hoge
   oid2name: invalid option -- 'P'

Therefore, "-P" is a manual bag. I investigated more using git log command and
understood followings:

   1. -P option was removed on 4192f2d85
   2. -P option revived in only the manual on 2963d8228

So, we have 2 options, remove -P option from the manual or revive the code
regarding to -P option (I mean it is like a git revert 4192f2d85).

> oid2name supports also PGDATABASE.

As far as I know, this environment variable is also unused because
I could not get the results as I expected. So, I didn't add it to the manual.
For example, following command expected that it shows about "postgres", but
it couldn't.

   $ env |grep PG
   PGDATABASE=postgres

   $ oid2name
   All databases:
       Oid  Database Name  Tablespace
   ----------------------------------
     16392         hogedb  pg_default
     13310       postgres  pg_default
     13309      template0  pg_default
         1      template1  pg_default

   $ oid2name -d postgres
   From database "postgres":
     Filenode  Table Name
   ----------------------
        16388          t1

>>     Code
>>       - Revive handling "-H host" option silently
>>
>> I didn't add "-H" to the help message because it's a deprecated
>> option.
>
> It seems to me that this should be still documented in both --help and
> in the docs, and that we should just mark it as deprecated in both.
>
>> I guess that that means "silently" as you said on previous email.
>> Should I add it?  For example,
>>
>> [...]
>
> Let's use a different line for that.  See for example how pg_standby -k
> is treated.

I will do that.

> I can see why you have reordered the options, this is more consistent
> with things in src/bin/scripts.
>
> We could have as well some basic TAP tests for both utilities while on
> it.  Something as simple as the first tests in 050_dropdb.pl would do a
> fine first shot.

For now, I'm not sure about TAP test but I knew both utilities have no
regression tests. It would be better to use something tests.

Regards,
Tatsuro Yamada

Date:
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 03:51:07PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> On 2018/08/20 13:54, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Therefore, "-P" is a manual bag. I investigated more using git log command and
> understood followings:
>
>   1. -P option was removed on 4192f2d85
>   2. -P option revived in only the manual on 2963d8228

Bruce did that to keep a trace of it in the docs, let's nuke it then, we
don't handle it and the documentation is mentioning the thing as
deprecated since 2010.

>> oid2name supports also PGDATABASE.
>
> As far as I know, this environment variable is also unused because
> I could not get the results as I expected. So, I didn't add it to the manual.
> For example, following command expected that it shows about "postgres", but
> it couldn't.

Yep, you're right.

> For now, I'm not sure about TAP test but I knew both utilities have no
> regression tests. It would be better to use something tests.

If you don't add them, I think that I would just that myself, just to
have some basics.  Not that it is a barrier for this patch anyway.
--

Date:
On 2018/08/20 17:38, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 03:51:07PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
>> On 2018/08/20 13:54, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Therefore, "-P" is a manual bag. I investigated more using git log command and
>> understood followings:
>>
>>    1. -P option was removed on 4192f2d85
>>    2. -P option revived in only the manual on 2963d8228
>
> Bruce did that to keep a trace of it in the docs, let's nuke it then, we
> don't handle it and the documentation is mentioning the thing as
> deprecated since 2010.

Yep, right.
I see, and will remove -P option's explanation from the manual.

>> For now, I'm not sure about TAP test but I knew both utilities have no
>> regression tests. It would be better to use something tests.
>
> If you don't add them, I think that I would just that myself, just to
> have some basics.  Not that it is a barrier for this patch anyway.

Hmm...
As long as I've come this far, I'll do it through.

BTW, can I add the patch to the Commitfest September?
The patch includes improvements and bug fix as you know, So, I can divide the
patch into 2 patches for that.

Which one is better to create, 2 patches or 1 patch?
I summed up fixes of oid2name and vacuumlo so far, the next patch will include
following stuffs:

oid2name
   bug fix
     - Remove "-P password" option from the document

   improvements
     - Divide "Options section" into "Options" and "Connection Options" sections in
       the help message (--help)
     - Add long options only for Connection options (-d, -H, -h, -p and -U)
     - Add "-H host" and "-h host" options to the help message and the document
     - Add environment variable (PGHOST, PGPORT and PGUSER) to the document
     - Add TAP tests for checking command-line options

vacuumlo
   improvements
     - Add long options only for Connection options (-h, -p and -U)

Date:
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 12:26:15PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> BTW, can I add the patch to the Commitfest September?

You should.

> The patch includes improvements and bug fix as you know, So, I can divide the
> patch into 2 patches for that.

I am not really seeing any bug fix, but if you think so then splitting
into two patches would help in making the difference for sure.
--

Date:
On 2018/08/21 12:40, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 12:26:15PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
>> BTW, can I add the patch to the Commitfest September?
>
> You should.

Thanks, I'll do that.

>> The patch includes improvements and bug fix as you know, So, I can divide the
>> patch into 2 patches for that.
>
> I am not really seeing any bug fix, but if you think so then splitting
> into two patches would help in making the difference for sure.

Yep, I meant the bug fix is below:
    oid2name
     - Remove "-P password" option from the document
As I wrote before, "-P option" is not works well because there is no code to handle
that option in the code. So, it will be removed on next patch.

I'll send 2 patches in this week, probably.

Regards,
Tatsuro Yamada

Date:
On 2018/08/21 12:57, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> On 2018/08/21 12:40, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 12:26:15PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
>>> BTW, can I add the patch to the Commitfest September?
>>
>> You should.
>
> Thanks, I'll do that.
> I'll send 2 patches in this week, probably.
I revised the patch and created new tap tests.

fix_oid2name_wip3.patch:
   bug fix
     - Remove "-P password" option from the document
   improvements
     - Divide "Options section" into "Options" and "Connection Options" sections in
       the help message (--help)
     - Add long options
     - Add "-H host" and "-h host" options to the help message and the document
     - Add environment variable (PGHOST, PGPORT and PGUSER) to the document

fix_vacuumlo_wip3.patch:
   improvements
     - Add long options
     - Add environment variable (PGHOST, PGPORT and PGUSER) to the document

Regarding to Long options,
I read the following both codes and I understand meanings of short options, so I
leave all long options in patches not only for connection options.

oid2name.c
    /* these are the opts structures for command line params */
    struct options
    {
        eary       *tables;
        eary       *oids;
        eary       *filenodes;

        bool        quiet;
        bool        systables;
        bool        indexes;
        bool        nodb;
        bool        extended;
        bool        tablespaces;

        char       *dbname;
        char       *hostname;
        char       *port;
        char       *username;
        const char *progname;
    };

vacuumlo.c
    struct _param
    {
        char       *pg_user;
        enum trivalue pg_prompt;
        char       *pg_port;
        char       *pg_host;
        const char *progname;
        int         verbose;
        int         dry_run;
        long        transaction_limit;
    };

Following TAP tests is for checking command-line options but I coudn't add some
test cases such as it is required argument and mixed varaiety of options.
I'm not sure about naming rule of tap test, so I added 300 and 301 to names as
temporarily. Please rename these files to more suitable names.

   300_oid2name.pl
   301_vacuumlo.pl

Please find attached files.

Date:
On 2018/08/21 12:57, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
 > On 2018/08/21 12:40, Michael Paquier wrote:
 >> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 12:26:15PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
 >>> BTW, can I add the patch to the Commitfest September?
 >>
 >> You should.
 >
 > Thanks, I'll do that.
 > I'll send 2 patches in this week, probably.

(I resend this email because I forgot to mark CC on my previous email. Sorry.)

Date:
On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 01:32:47PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> I revised the patch and created new tap tests.

Thanks, I have looked at the patch set.  And here are some notes about
issues found while reviewing.  For oid2name:
- Documentation had some typos, --tablename was used instead of --table.
- Using plural forms for some options makes more sense to me, like
--indexes, --system-objects, --tablespaces
- I have tweaked the description of -H in usage().
- An '=' was missing for --filenode
- I have reordered the options in alphabetical order.
- Added some basic tap tests, and added correct handling of the tests in
oid2name/Makefile.
- Inclusion of getopt_long.h has been missing, this would have caused
failures on Windows.
- getopt_long() has been reordered to be alphabetical.  Same thing for
long_options[].  This has the advantage to ease the review and code
read.
- Some formatting issues with option docs, leading to some noise diffs.

For vacuumlo:
- Some typos in documentation.
- Documentation format was rather weird for some options, so I made the
whole consistent.
- I agree with the option names you put.
- Reorganization of the options.
- Added basic TAP tests, and fixed Makefile.
- default clause was missing from the option set.

Attached are updated patches, which I would be fine to commit.  What do
you think?
--

Date:
On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 07:03:18PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Thanks, I have looked at the patch set.

I have been through the set once again, and pushed both things.  Thanks
a lot Yamada-san.
--

Date:
On 2018/08/28 22:36, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 07:03:18PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Thanks, I have looked at the patch set.
>
> I have been through the set once again, and pushed both things.  Thanks
> a lot Yamada-san.

Thank you very much for your time to review and revise the patch! :)
In this year, I will try to review someone's patch as you did.
Please let me know if you need reviewer.

Regards,
Tatsuro Yamada