Re: Fix help option of contrib/oid2name - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Fix help option of contrib/oid2name
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 03:51:07PM +0900, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> On 2018/08/20 13:54, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Therefore, "-P" is a manual bag. I investigated more using git log command and
> understood followings:
>
>   1. -P option was removed on 4192f2d85
>   2. -P option revived in only the manual on 2963d8228

Bruce did that to keep a trace of it in the docs, let's nuke it then, we
don't handle it and the documentation is mentioning the thing as
deprecated since 2010.

>> oid2name supports also PGDATABASE.
>
> As far as I know, this environment variable is also unused because
> I could not get the results as I expected. So, I didn't add it to the manual.
> For example, following command expected that it shows about "postgres", but
> it couldn't.

Yep, you're right.

> For now, I'm not sure about TAP test but I knew both utilities have no
> regression tests. It would be better to use something tests.

If you don't add them, I think that I would just that myself, just to
have some basics.  Not that it is a barrier for this patch anyway.
--
Michael

Attachment