pg 10.1 missing libpq in postgresql-devel

From
support-tiger
Date:
running postgresql 10.1 on Fedora 27.  Cannot install ruby pg gem due to
missing libpq-fe.h file.  This is usually found in postgresql-devel but
it is not in fedora 27 postgresql10-devel. If install postgresql-devel
(9.6) the gem installs without problem but afraid this will interfere
with 10.1  How can we install the necessary libpq-fe.h  ?  thks

--
Support Dept
Tiger Nassau, Inc.

Re: pg 10.1 missing libpq in postgresql-devel

From
Martin Marques
Date:
El 25/01/18 a las 17:20, support-tiger escribió:
> running postgresql 10.1 on Fedora 27.  Cannot install ruby pg gem due to
> missing libpq-fe.h file.  This is usually found in postgresql-devel but
> it is not in fedora 27 postgresql10-devel. If install postgresql-devel
> (9.6) the gem installs without problem but afraid this will interfere
> with 10.1  How can we install the necessary libpq-fe.h  ?  thks

Are you sure you don't have this file:

# rpm -ql postgresql10-devel-10.1-1PGDG.f26.x86_64 | grep libpq-fe.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/libpq-fe.h

This is on Fedora 26, but I'd be surprised if it were missing in 27.

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: pg 10.1 missing libpq in postgresql-devel

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 01/25/2018 12:20 PM, support-tiger wrote:
> running postgresql 10.1 on Fedora 27.  Cannot install ruby pg gem due to
> missing libpq-fe.h file.  This is usually found in postgresql-devel but

What was the error message returned when you tried to install originally?

adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: pg 10.1 missing libpq in postgresql-devel

From
support-tiger
Date:
sorry for delay but ran some tests on older version pg gem - still fails

it fails on building the config file with simply missing libpq-fe.h,
cannot find libpq-fe.h

I suspect it is a problem with using the pgdg repository and that
postgresql get "10" added to them ie postgresql10-devel and maybe the
gem code does not recognize that.   Since vers 10 is not breaking it
does not make sense (i guess fedora)  to rename vers 10 with the "10" -
maybe they just love the python 2 / 3 fiasco and want to extend it to
postgresql.

--

Date:
On 01/27/2018 04:34 PM, support-tiger wrote:
> sorry for delay but ran some tests on older version pg gem - still fails

With what error message?

What Ruby gem?

> it fails on building the config file with simply missing libpq-fe.h,
> cannot find libpq-fe.h

Well it is there:

rpm -qlp postgresql10-devel-10.1-1PGDG.f27.x86_64.rpm | grep libpq-fe.h
warning: postgresql10-devel-10.1-1PGDG.f27.x86_64.rpm: Header V4
DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 442df0f8: NOKEY
/usr/pgsql-10/include/libpq-fe.h

> I suspect it is a problem with using the pgdg repository and that
> postgresql get "10" added to them ie postgresql10-devel and maybe the
> gem code does not recognize that.   Since vers 10 is not breaking it
> does not make sense (i guess fedora)  to rename vers 10 with the "10" -
> maybe they just love the python 2 / 3 fiasco and want to extend it to
> postgresql.

Previous versions used version numbering also:

https://yum.postgresql.org/9.6/fedora/fedora-26-x86_64/

postgresql96-devel-9.6.6-1PGDG.f26.x86_64.rpm

My guess it that the config script for the gem is not taking into
account that Postgres changed from a three part versioning system X.Y.z
to a two part system X.y(where lower case is minor version) from 9.6.0
to 10.1.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 01/27/2018 06:43 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> On 01/27/2018 04:34 PM, support-tiger wrote:
>> sorry for delay but ran some tests on older version pg gem - still fails
>
> With what error message?
>
> What Ruby gem?
>

>> it fails on building the config file with simply missing libpq-fe.h,
>> cannot find libpq-fe.h
>
> Well it is there:
>
> rpm -qlp postgresql10-devel-10.1-1PGDG.f27.x86_64.rpm | grep libpq-fe.h
> warning: postgresql10-devel-10.1-1PGDG.f27.x86_64.rpm: Header V4
> DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 442df0f8: NOKEY
> /usr/pgsql-10/include/libpq-fe.h
>

>> I suspect it is a problem with using the pgdg repository and that
>> postgresql get "10" added to them ie postgresql10-devel and maybe the
>> gem code does not recognize that.   Since vers 10 is not breaking it
>> does not make sense (i guess fedora)  to rename vers 10 with the "10"
>> - maybe they just love the python 2 / 3 fiasco and want to extend it
>> to postgresql.
>
> Previous versions used version numbering also:
>
> https://yum.postgresql.org/9.6/fedora/fedora-26-x86_64/
>
> postgresql96-devel-9.6.6-1PGDG.f26.x86_64.rpm
>
> My guess it that the config script for the gem is not taking into
> account that Postgres changed from a three part versioning system
> X.Y.z to a two part system X.y(where lower case is minor version) from
> 9.6.0 to 10.1.

could be, cannot find the config file in the repository - specifies to
use a pg-config file to build the gem but no trace of such a config file

thks anyway for your help.  had emailed the pg gem leads but no response
and github issues are blocked (duh)  - can't depend on this -will just
make a faster transition to Crystal - the pg shard in Crystal loaded
okay on Fedora with the 10.1

--

Date:
On 01/29/2018 11:18 AM, support-tiger wrote:
> On 01/27/2018 06:43 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> On 01/27/2018 04:34 PM, support-tiger wrote:
>>> sorry for delay but ran some tests on older version pg gem - still fails
>>
>> With what error message?
>>
>> What Ruby gem?
>>

>>> it fails on building the config file with simply missing libpq-fe.h,
>>> cannot find libpq-fe.h
>>
>> Well it is there:
>>
>> rpm -qlp postgresql10-devel-10.1-1PGDG.f27.x86_64.rpm | grep libpq-fe.h
>> warning: postgresql10-devel-10.1-1PGDG.f27.x86_64.rpm: Header V4
>> DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 442df0f8: NOKEY
>> /usr/pgsql-10/include/libpq-fe.h
>>

>>> I suspect it is a problem with using the pgdg repository and that
>>> postgresql get "10" added to them ie postgresql10-devel and maybe the
>>> gem code does not recognize that.   Since vers 10 is not breaking it
>>> does not make sense (i guess fedora)  to rename vers 10 with the "10"
>>> - maybe they just love the python 2 / 3 fiasco and want to extend it
>>> to postgresql.
>>
>> Previous versions used version numbering also:
>>
>> https://yum.postgresql.org/9.6/fedora/fedora-26-x86_64/
>>
>> postgresql96-devel-9.6.6-1PGDG.f26.x86_64.rpm
>>
>> My guess it that the config script for the gem is not taking into
>> account that Postgres changed from a three part versioning system
>> X.Y.z to a two part system X.y(where lower case is minor version) from
>> 9.6.0 to 10.1.
>
> could be, cannot find the config file in the repository - specifies to
> use a pg-config file to build the gem but no trace of such a config file

It is not looking for a file named pg-config, it is looking for a
program named pg_config.

See:

https://deveiate.org/code/pg/

gem install pg -- --with-pg-config=<path to pg_config>

Try something like below to verify pg_config is installed(I'm sure it is):

aklaver@tito:~> pg_config
BINDIR = /usr/local/pgsql96/bin
DOCDIR = /usr/local/pgsql96/share/doc
HTMLDIR = /usr/local/pgsql96/share/doc

LIBS = -lpgcommon -lpgport -lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lreadline -lrt
-lcrypt -ldl -lm
VERSION = PostgreSQL 9.6.6

*IMPORTANT* If you have more then one instance of Postgres installed you
will have more then one pg_config binary, so it is important that you
point the gem install at the correct one.

> thks anyway for your help.  had emailed the pg gem leads but no response
> and github issues are blocked (duh)  - can't depend on this -will just
> make a faster transition to Crystal - the pg shard in Crystal loaded
> okay on Fedora with the 10.1

Are you talking about this?:

https://github.com/ged/ruby-pg

The above is a Git mirror of the 'real' repo, which is on BitBucket:

https://bitbucket.org/ged/ruby-pg/wiki/Home

You will find an issues page there.

--
Adrian Klaver