I'm creating an extension to PostgreSQL, with user-defined types and user-defined functions.

Extensions can be written in C as well as C ++, correct?
I am currently using ATOM to develop in Ubuntu. But I would like to work with Qt.

PostgreSQL provides the tutorial for working with eclipse: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse#

Is there any tutorial for Qt? Or are the setup steps similar to Eclipse?

Thank you very much in advance.

On 06/25/2017 07:34 AM, Fabiana Zioti wrote:
> I'm creating an extension to PostgreSQL, with user-defined types and
> user-defined functions.
>
> Extensions can be written in C as well as C ++, correct?

Given that you are asking about Qt Creator do you mean written in C++ as
well as C?

An extension is just packaging of objects:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/extend-extensions.html

I am not sure C/C++ really is a factor.
Maybe if you offer more detail on what you are trying to achieve.

> I am currently using ATOM to develop in Ubuntu. But I would like to work
> with Qt.

Not seeing how Qt will work in a Postgres extension?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Configure Qt Creator to work with PostgreSQL to extensions development

From
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Date:
På søndag 25. juni 2017 kl. 17:04:02, skrev Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>:
On 06/25/2017 07:34 AM, Fabiana Zioti wrote:
> I'm creating an extension to PostgreSQL, with user-defined types and
> user-defined functions.
>
> Extensions can be written in C as well as C ++, correct?

Given that you are asking about Qt Creator do you mean written in C++ as
well as C?

An extension is just packaging of objects:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/extend-extensions.html

I am not sure C/C++ really is a factor.
Maybe if you offer more detail on what you are trying to achieve.

> I am currently using ATOM to develop in Ubuntu. But I would like to work
> with Qt.

Not seeing how Qt will work in a Postgres extension?

I think what he's asking is how to use Qt Creator as a development environment for developing PG-extentions, not linking Qt in from an extention.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Attachment
On 06/25/2017 01:34 PM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> På søndag 25. juni 2017 kl. 17:04:02, skrev Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>:
>
>     On 06/25/2017 07:34 AM, Fabiana Zioti wrote:
>      > I'm creating an extension to PostgreSQL, with user-defined types and
>      > user-defined functions.
>      >
>      > Extensions can be written in C as well as C ++, correct?
>
>     Given that you are asking about Qt Creator do you mean written in C++ as
>     well as C?
>
>     An extension is just packaging of objects:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/extend-extensions.html
>
>     I am not sure C/C++ really is a factor.
>     Maybe if you offer more detail on what you are trying to achieve.
>
>      > I am currently using ATOM to develop in Ubuntu. But I would like
>     to work
>      > with Qt.
>
>     Not seeing how Qt will work in a Postgres extension?
>
> I think what he's asking is how to use Qt Creator as a development
> environment for developing PG-extentions, not linking Qt in from an
> extention.

Even if that is the case, Qt Creator is optimized for building GUI's
based on Qt, I suspect the OP will be fighting it to build Postgres
extensions. Seems to me sticking with Atom would be the wiser choice. At
any rate the above awaits more information for confirmation.

--

Date:

I'd give CLion a try: https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Attachment
On Sunday, 25 June 2017 17:34:11 MSK, Fabiana Zioti wrote:
> I'm creating an extension to PostgreSQL, with user-defined types and
> user-defined functions.
>
> Extensions can be written in C as well as C ++, correct?
> I am currently using ATOM to develop in Ubuntu. But I would like to work
> with Qt.
>
> PostgreSQL provides the tutorial for working with eclipse:
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse#
>
> Is there any tutorial for Qt? Or are the setup steps similar to Eclipse?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.

I am using QtCreator currently. I tried Atom and Sublime Text. But QtCreator
is more convenient to me.

In short you need to do the following things:
1 - setup code style, use tabs instead of spaces, you can setup
autoindentation
2 - create QtCreator project for PostgreSQL and your extensions by the
following way:
  - select File > New File or Project > Import Project > Import Existing
Project, and choose PostgreSQL or extension folder
  - in next step choose all files
  - QtCreator will create 3 files: *.config, *.files, *.includes
  - if you created project for an extension you need to define path to
PostgreSQL include headers. Open *.includes file and write the path there.

With QtCreator you can quickly search necessary files or methods.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2b7vgt0wh5ibpm/qtcreator.png?dl=0

I didn't setup other options, because I make PostgreSQL and extensions from
command line. I debug them using dbg, but you can do it also from QtCreator.

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company