[HACKERS] Error message on missing SCRAM authentication with older clients

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
Currently, if you use 9.6 libpq to connect to a v10 server that requires
SCRAM authentication, you get an error:

psql: authentication method 10 not supported

I'd like to apply this small patch to all the stable branches, to give a
nicer error message:

psql: SCRAM authentication not supported by this version of libpq

It won't help unless you upgrade to the latest minor version, of course,
but it's better than nothing. Any objections?

- Heikki

Re: [HACKERS] Error message on missing SCRAM authentication witholder clients

From
Aleksander Alekseev
Date:
Hi Heikki,

> psql: SCRAM authentication not supported by this version of libpq

Maybe it would be better to specify a minimum required version?

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Re: [HACKERS] Error message on missing SCRAM authentication witholder clients

From
Magnus Hagander

Currently, if you use 9.6 libpq to connect to a v10 server that requires SCRAM authentication, you get an error:

psql: authentication method 10 not supported

I'd like to apply this small patch to all the stable branches, to give a nicer error message:

psql: SCRAM authentication not supported by this version of libpq

It won't help unless you upgrade to the latest minor version, of course, but it's better than nothing. Any objections?

+1, even though it's not strictly speaking a bugfix to go in a backpatch, I think it will help enough users that it's worth doing. And I can't see how it could possibly be unsafe...

--

Re: [HACKERS] Error message on missing SCRAM authentication witholder clients

From
Aleksander Alekseev
Date:
Hi Magnus,

> +1, even though it's not strictly speaking a bugfix to go in a backpatch, I
> think it will help enough users that it's worth doing. And I can't see how
> it could possibly be unsafe...

Well, strictly speaking there could be applications that parse error
messages using regular expressions or something like this. But I don't
think it's something we should really bother about.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Date:
On 05/03/2017 03:12 PM, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> Hi Heikki,
>
>> psql: SCRAM authentication not supported by this version of libpq
>
> Maybe it would be better to specify a minimum required version?

Yeah, that could be helpful. Can you suggest a wording?

My first thought was:

psql: SCRAM authentication not supported by this version of libpq
(version 10 or above required)

But that's very long. Perhaps:

psql: SCRAM authentication requires libpq version 10 or above

- Heikki

Re: [HACKERS] Error message on missing SCRAM authentication witholder clients

From
Aleksander Alekseev
Date:
Hi Heikki,

> psql: SCRAM authentication requires libpq version 10 or above

Sounds good.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Re: [HACKERS] Error message on missing SCRAM authentication witholder clients

From
Magnus Hagander

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Aleksander Alekseev <a.alekseev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
Hi Heikki,

> psql: SCRAM authentication requires libpq version 10 or above

Sounds good.

+1.

--

Date:
On 05/05/2017 11:26 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Aleksander Alekseev <
> a.alekseev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>
>>> psql: SCRAM authentication requires libpq version 10 or above
>>
>> Sounds good.
>>
> +1.

Ok, committed. Thanks!

- Heikki