Re: [HACKERS] Error message on missing SCRAM authentication witholder clients - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Error message on missing SCRAM authentication witholder clients
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@pivotal.io> wrote:
Currently, if you use 9.6 libpq to connect to a v10 server that requires SCRAM authentication, you get an error:

psql: authentication method 10 not supported

I'd like to apply this small patch to all the stable branches, to give a nicer error message:

psql: SCRAM authentication not supported by this version of libpq

It won't help unless you upgrade to the latest minor version, of course, but it's better than nothing. Any objections?

+1, even though it's not strictly speaking a bugfix to go in a backpatch, I think it will help enough users that it's worth doing. And I can't see how it could possibly be unsafe...