[HACKERS] the need to finish

From
Erik Rijkers
Date:
Logical replication emits logmessages like these:

DETAIL:  90 transactions need to finish.
DETAIL:  87 transactions need to finish.
DETAIL:  70 transactions need to finish.

Could we get rid of that 'need'?   It strikes me as a bit off; something
that people would say but not a mechanical message by a computer. I
dislike it strongly.

I would prefer the line to be more terse:

DETAIL:  90 transactions to finish.

Am I the only one who is annoyed by this phrase?

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers

Re: [HACKERS] the need to finish

> Logical replication emits logmessages like these:
> DETAIL:  90 transactions need to finish.
> DETAIL:  87 transactions need to finish.
> DETAIL:  70 transactions need to finish.

> Could we get rid of that 'need'?   It strikes me as a bit off; something
> that people would say but not a mechanical message by a computer. I
> dislike it strongly.

> I would prefer the line to be more terse:

> DETAIL:  90 transactions to finish.

> Am I the only one who is annoyed by this phrase?

Our style guidelines say that detail messages should be complete
sentences, so I don't like your proposal too much.

Maybe "N transactions remain to finish." ?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] the need to finish

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 12 April 2017 at 16:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> writes:
>> Logical replication emits logmessages like these:
>> DETAIL:  90 transactions need to finish.
>> DETAIL:  87 transactions need to finish.
>> DETAIL:  70 transactions need to finish.
>
>> Could we get rid of that 'need'?   It strikes me as a bit off; something
>> that people would say but not a mechanical message by a computer. I
>> dislike it strongly.
>
>> I would prefer the line to be more terse:
>
>> DETAIL:  90 transactions to finish.
>
>> Am I the only one who is annoyed by this phrase?
>
> Our style guidelines say that detail messages should be complete
> sentences, so I don't like your proposal too much.
>
> Maybe "N transactions remain to finish." ?

waiting for N transactions to complete

Re: [HACKERS] the need to finish

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 12 April 2017 at 16:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> writes:
>>> Logical replication emits logmessages like these:
>>> DETAIL:  90 transactions need to finish.
>>> I would prefer the line to be more terse:
>>> DETAIL:  90 transactions to finish.
>> Our style guidelines say that detail messages should be complete
>> sentences, so I don't like your proposal too much.
>> Maybe "N transactions remain to finish." ?
> waiting for N transactions to complete

+1 for something along those lines, but perhaps it needs a capital
letter and a period.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company