While scanning over postgresql.conf I happened to notice something
that didn't ring quite true about max_parallel_workers. The comment
confuses worker_processes with parallel workers.

The attached aims to put this right.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 6:39 AM, David Rowley
<david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> While scanning over postgresql.conf I happened to notice something
> that didn't ring quite true about max_parallel_workers. The comment
> confuses worker_processes with parallel workers.

+1.  How about changing the description of
max_parallel_workers_per_gather to "taken from max_worker_processes,
limited by max_parallel_workers"?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

On 7 March 2017 at 15:21, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1.  How about changing the description of
> max_parallel_workers_per_gather to "taken from max_worker_processes,
> limited by max_parallel_workers"?

Thanks for looking.

Seems more accurate to say that it's "taken from
max_parallel_workers", maybe. You can't "take" more than what's there,
so perhaps the extra text is not required.

Patch attached.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 8:02 AM, David Rowley
<david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 7 March 2017 at 15:21, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1.  How about changing the description of
>> max_parallel_workers_per_gather to "taken from max_worker_processes,
>> limited by max_parallel_workers"?
>
> Thanks for looking.
>
> Seems more accurate to say that it's "taken from
> max_parallel_workers", maybe.

I thought of saying similar to what we have in docs, however the way
you have written works for me.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 7:42 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 8:02 AM, David Rowley
> <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 7 March 2017 at 15:21, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> +1.  How about changing the description of
>>> max_parallel_workers_per_gather to "taken from max_worker_processes,
>>> limited by max_parallel_workers"?
>>
>> Thanks for looking.
>>
>> Seems more accurate to say that it's "taken from
>> max_parallel_workers", maybe.
>>

> I thought of saying similar to what we have in docs, however the way
> you have written works for me.

Committed.

--
Robert Haas