[GENERAL] Latest PostgreSQL on Raspbian Jessie

From
Ertan Küçükoğlu
Date:
Hello,

I could not decide which forum is more appropriate. I end up posting my
question here.

For a small but important Project, I need to develop a GUI application on
Raspberry Pi with PostgreSQL using Lazarus. PostgreSQL 9.4.10 server will be
running on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and another PostgreSQL 9.6.2 will be
running on a Windows OS. Lazarus installed on Raspberry Pi is version 1.7
(built from latest subversion trunk sources) using with FreePascal 3.1.1
(also built from latest subversion trunk sources).

Raspberry Pi application will save some data in PostgreSQL running on Pi and
very same application also needs to save some *other* data on PostgreSQL
9.6.2 running on Windows OS. Both OSes will be running in same LAN.

Saving everything on Raspberry Pi and later copying using another
application/method is not allowed by design.

I could not find 9.6.x version of the PostgreSQL to install on Raspberry Pi
in packages. Most recent I can install using APT package system is 9.4.10. I
do not mind that it is rather old.

My problem starts when I try to reach a PostgreSQL 9.6.2 using 9.4.10 pglib
library (I think).
- Connection may hang and application stops responding.
- If connection succeeds a simple select * from query hangs and application
stops responding and after a while terminates for good.

I installed PgAdmin3 on Raspberry Pi to make some tests. I get lots of
warnings and some error messages when I try to connect that database on
Windows OS.

I am new to PostgreSQL and am not sure if there may be some connection
problems from old version libraries to new version PostgreSQL servers. My
limited little experience says I need same version on both systems for best
stability.

I would like to know;
1- Is it possible to install 9.6.2 with same version pglib on Raspberry Pi?
If possible to do on Raspberry Pi, I think I can build my own version from
sources assuming I am provided a good detailed how to document for doing so.
2- If above is not possible, is it possible to build just the latest version
pglib and overcome my connection problem?
3- If I need to select number 2 solution above, is that latest version
library will talk to old version without any problems?
4- I am always open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

Regards,
Ertan Küçükoğlu

Re: [GENERAL] Latest PostgreSQL on Raspbian Jessie

From
Moreno Andreo
Date:
Il 23/02/2017 10:56, Ertan Küçükoğlu ha scritto:
> I would like to know;
> 1- Is it possible to install 9.6.2 with same version pglib on Raspberry Pi?
In subject you call it as Raspbian Jessie, so I assume it's somewhat
related to Debian Jessie.
Debian repository does not (at last, not in the last few weeks) have
Postgresql 9.5 and 9.6.
To get these via apt, you should add the Postgres Development Group
(PGDG) repo in your sources.list

https://www.tqhosting.com/kb/446/How-to-install-PostgreSQL-95-on-Debian-8-Jessie.html

(it's for Postgresql 9.5 and Debian Jessie, but if my assumption is
right, it would fit your case, since PGDG contains 9.6 also)

> If possible to do on Raspberry Pi, I think I can build my own version from
> sources assuming I am provided a good detailed how to document for doing so.
> 2- If above is not possible, is it possible to build just the latest version
> pglib and overcome my connection problem?
> 3- If I need to select number 2 solution above, is that latest version
> library will talk to old version without any problems?
> 4- I am always open to other suggestions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Ertan Küçükoğlu

Re: [GENERAL] Latest PostgreSQL on Raspbian Jessie

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/23/2017 02:57 AM, Moreno Andreo wrote:
> Il 23/02/2017 10:56, Ertan Küçükoğlu ha scritto:
>> I would like to know;
>> 1- Is it possible to install 9.6.2 with same version pglib on
>> Raspberry Pi?
> In subject you call it as Raspbian Jessie, so I assume it's somewhat
> related to Debian Jessie.
> Debian repository does not (at last, not in the last few weeks) have
> Postgresql 9.5 and 9.6.
> To get these via apt, you should add the Postgres Development Group
> (PGDG) repo in your sources.list
>
> https://www.tqhosting.com/kb/446/How-to-install-PostgreSQL-95-on-Debian-8-Jessie.html

I think the issue will be the architecture:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt

Architectures: amd64 (64-bit x86), i386 (32-bit x86), ppc64el (little-endian 64-bit POWER; not on wheezy/precise)

The Raspberry Pi is ARM.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 02/23/2017 01:56 AM, Ertan Küçükoğlu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I could not decide which forum is more appropriate. I end up posting my
> question here.
>
> For a small but important Project, I need to develop a GUI application on
> Raspberry Pi with PostgreSQL using Lazarus. PostgreSQL 9.4.10 server will be
> running on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and another PostgreSQL 9.6.2 will be
> running on a Windows OS. Lazarus installed on Raspberry Pi is version 1.7
> (built from latest subversion trunk sources) using with FreePascal 3.1.1
> (also built from latest subversion trunk sources).
>
> Raspberry Pi application will save some data in PostgreSQL running on Pi and
> very same application also needs to save some *other* data on PostgreSQL
> 9.6.2 running on Windows OS. Both OSes will be running in same LAN.
>
> Saving everything on Raspberry Pi and later copying using another
> application/method is not allowed by design.
>
> I could not find 9.6.x version of the PostgreSQL to install on Raspberry Pi
> in packages. Most recent I can install using APT package system is 9.4.10. I
> do not mind that it is rather old.
>
> My problem starts when I try to reach a PostgreSQL 9.6.2 using 9.4.10 pglib
> library (I think).

Can you show what is you are doing?

If not what happens if you use the Postgres command line client(psql) to
connect to the 9.6.2 database?

> - Connection may hang and application stops responding.
> - If connection succeeds a simple select * from query hangs and application
> stops responding and after a while terminates for good.
>
> I installed PgAdmin3 on Raspberry Pi to make some tests. I get lots of
> warnings and some error messages when I try to connect that database on
> Windows OS.

What are the warnings/errors?

> I am new to PostgreSQL and am not sure if there may be some connection
> problems from old version libraries to new version PostgreSQL servers. My
> limited little experience says I need same version on both systems for best
> stability.
>
> I would like to know;
> 1- Is it possible to install 9.6.2 with same version pglib on Raspberry Pi?
> If possible to do on Raspberry Pi, I think I can build my own version from
> sources assuming I am provided a good detailed how to document for doing so.
> 2- If above is not possible, is it possible to build just the latest version
> pglib and overcome my connection problem?
> 3- If I need to select number 2 solution above, is that latest version
> library will talk to old version without any problems?

Yes:

aklaver@arkansas:~$ psql -d postgres -U aklaver -p 5434
Password for user aklaver:
psql (9.6.2, server 9.4.11)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=> select 'test';
  ?column?
----------
  test
(1 row)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Hi,

Sorry about not indenting. Have to use Outlook as e-mail app.

I cannot show any work at the moment, I am just researching right now,
before I start actual job. I have a single form making connection to local
PostgreSQL and remote one. Local seems to be OK in all respects. Remote is a
problem.

Below you can see some psql output.

postgres@raspberrypi:~$ psql -d test -U postgres -p 5432 -h 192.168.1.105
Password for user postgres:
DEBUG:  CommitTransaction
DEBUG:  name: unnamed; blockState:       STARTED; state: INPROGR,
xid/subid/cid: 0/1/0, nestlvl: 1, children:
psql (9.4.10, server 9.6.1)
WARNING: psql major version 9.4, server major version 9.6.
         Some psql features might not work.
Type "help" for help.

test=# select count(*) from sale;
DEBUG:  StartTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  StartTransaction
DEBUG:  name: unnamed; blockState:       DEFAULT; state: INPROGR,
xid/subid/cid: 0/1/0, nestlvl: 1, children:
DEBUG:  CommitTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  CommitTransaction
DEBUG:  name: unnamed; blockState:       STARTED; state: INPROGR,
xid/subid/cid: 0/1/0, nestlvl: 1, children:
 count
--------
 176588
(1 row)

test=#

Btw, I am surprised that psql can make a connection *and* runs a query just
fine.

My main problem with my application is to run a query. Connection seems to
be OK. Trying to run a query and my application simply freeze.

PgAdmin3 gives lots of error messages some objects missing, assertion
failures, etc. After all these messages PgAdmin3 seems to establish a
connection to PostgreSQL 9.6 database on Windows OS. However, PgAdmin3
cannot run a query, too. When I try to do a select, PgAdmin3 freeze. Waiting
only kills my application, or PgAdmin3. No log messages that I can find of.

Thanks.
-Ertan

Date:
On 02/23/2017 06:08 AM, Ertan Küçükoğlu wrote:
> [...]

Yeah with the caveat:

"Some psql features might not work."

The older version of psql does not 'know' about new features in 9.6.

> My main problem with my application is to run a query. Connection seems to
> be OK. Trying to run a query and my application simply freeze.

So the issue is with the Postgres library that Lazarus/FreePascal is using.

What would that library be?

> PgAdmin3 gives lots of error messages some objects missing, assertion
> failures, etc. After all these messages PgAdmin3 seems to establish a
> connection to PostgreSQL 9.6 database on Windows OS. However, PgAdmin3
> cannot run a query, too. When I try to do a select, PgAdmin3 freeze. Waiting
> only kills my application, or PgAdmin3. No log messages that I can find of.

Not all that surprising as pgAdmin3 is no longer supported:

https://www.pgadmin.org/download/source.php

As you found out, I don't think the last version of pgAdmin3 is
compatible with 9.6.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com