BUG #14435: PGAdmin 4 will not see the server

From
jmhowitt@mac.com
Date: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Re: BUG #14435: PGAdmin 4 will not see the server

Date:
jmhowitt@mac.com writes:
> I installed PGAdmin 4 and i install Postgres 9.6.1. with homebrew. In the
> postgres.conf i set list to port 5432 and i set listen_addresses to "*"
> I can connect on the command line and i can connect with a tool called
> Portico and with PGAdmin 3. However both versions of PGAdmin4 will not
> connect and i just get a screen telling me "Failed to connect to the PGAmin
> application server. Click here to try again."

Does anything show up in the postmaster log when you do that?

I'm a bit suspicious that PGAdmin4 is trying to use an IPv6 definition of
"localhost" and you've only made provision for IPv4 in pg_hba.conf, or
something like that.

It's regrettable that PGAdmin4 isn't giving you more detail about the
failure, but you need to complain about that on the pgadmin lists,
not here --- this list is for server problems.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #14435: PGAdmin 4 will not see the server

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 11/27/2016 1:32 AM, jmhowitt@mac.com wrote:
> I installed PGAdmin 4 and i install Postgres 9.6.1. with homebrew. In the
> postgres.conf i set list to port 5432 and i set listen_addresses to "*"
> I can connect on the command line and i can connect with a tool called
> Portico and with PGAdmin 3. However both versions of PGAdmin4 will not
> connect and i just get a screen telling me "Failed to connect to the PGAmin
> application server. Click here to try again."
>
> If i run Postgres with the Mac Postgres.app which requires no installation
> then PGA4 will connect.

I believe pgadmin4 has a client-server architecture, where there is a
webserver component, and then the client is your web browser.   that
error sounds like the client can't connect to the pgadmin webserver ?

anyways, pgsql bugs is for bugs in the core postgres database server,
pgadmin is a seperate project and has its own support channels.