Extension compatibility between postgresql minor version

From
David Richer

Hi guys,

I want to check my production server for the free space map issue. https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Free_Space_Map_Problems

I am on Centos 6 currently running 9.3.14 using pgdg repository.

I need to install postgresql93-contrib to get the pg_freespacemap extension. Only postgresql93-contrib-9.3.15 package is available in pgdg repository. It will force me to upgrade my postgresql to 9.3.15 which will restart my production postgresql server which I am not yet ready to do, I want to know if we are affected by the free space map issue first.

My question: Would it be safe to install postgresql93-contrib-9.3.15 and not upgrade my postgresql server? In other words, would an extension compiled with 9.3.14 will work with a postgresql 9.3.15 server?

Thanks,

Davud

Re: Extension compatibility between postgresql minor version

From
Vladimir Rusinov
Date:
Maybe, maybe not.

Have you tried installing '=postgresql93-contrib-9.3.14' ?

I am on Centos 6 currently running 9.3.14 using pgdg repository.

I need to install postgresql93-contrib to get the pg_freespacemap extension. Only postgresql93-contrib-9.3.15 package is available in pgdg repository. It will force me to upgrade my postgresql to 9.3.15 which will restart my production postgresql server which I am not yet ready to do, I want to know if we are affected by the free space map issue first.

My question: Would it be safe to install postgresql93-contrib-9.3.15 and not upgrade my postgresql server? In other words, would an extension compiled with 9.3.14 will work with a postgresql 9.3.15 server?

Thanks,

Davud

Attachment

Re: Extension compatibility between postgresql minor version

From
David Richer

Yes, I tried, it’s no longer available in the pgdg repository. I would have a look if I find the rpm package somewhere.

Have you tried installing '=postgresql93-contrib-9.3.14' ?

I am on Centos 6 currently running 9.3.14 using pgdg repository.

I need to install postgresql93-contrib to get the pg_freespacemap extension. Only postgresql93-contrib-9.3.15 package is available in pgdg repository. It will force me to upgrade my postgresql to 9.3.15 which will restart my production postgresql server which I am not yet ready to do, I want to know if we are affected by the free space map issue first.

My question: Would it be safe to install postgresql93-contrib-9.3.15 and not upgrade my postgresql server? In other words, would an extension compiled with 9.3.14 will work with a postgresql 9.3.15 server?

Thanks,

Davud

Re: Extension compatibility between postgresql minor version

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 11/24/2016 07:40 AM, David Richer wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> I want to check my production server for the free space map issue.
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Free_Space_Map_Problems
>
> I am on Centos 6 currently running 9.3.14 using pgdg repository.
>

> I need to install postgresql93-contrib to get the pg_freespacemap
> extension. Only postgresql93-contrib-9.3.15 package is available in pgdg
> repository. It will force me to upgrade my postgresql to 9.3.15 which
> will restart my production postgresql server which I am not yet ready to
> do, I want to know if we are affected by the free space map issue first.
>

> My question: Would it be safe to install postgresql93-contrib-9.3.15 and
> not upgrade my postgresql server? In other words, would an extension
> compiled with 9.3.14 will work with a postgresql 9.3.15 server?

I was following you until I got to the last sentence. Is that what you
really meant to say?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Extension compatibility between postgresql minor version

From
David Richer
Date:
I am not an expert but I am assuming that the native part of the extension (pg_freespacemap.so) is compiled with
postgresqlheaders and libs.

    --
    Adrian Klaver
    adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 11/24/2016 09:01 AM, David Richer wrote:
> I am not an expert but I am assuming that the native part of the extension (pg_freespacemap.so) is compiled with
postgresqlheaders and libs.

The part that confused me is the last part where you ask about using a
9.3.14 extension with a 9.3.15 server which is the opposite of
everything you said previously, in particular the prior sentence.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Extension compatibility between postgresql minor version

Date:
> On 11/24/2016 09:01 AM, David Richer wrote:
>> I am not an expert but I am assuming that the native part of the extension (pg_freespacemap.so) is compiled with
postgresqlheaders and libs.

> The part that confused me is the last part where you ask about using a
> 9.3.14 extension with a 9.3.15 server which is the opposite of
> everything you said previously, in particular the prior sentence.

It would probably work either way, although a prudent man would peruse
the 9.3.15 release notes to see if anything was said about changes that
cause breakage of extensions.  But we try hard to avoid such changes
in minor releases, particularly in long-stable branches.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Extension compatibility between postgresql minor version

From
David Richer
Date:
Yes are right, I meant  a 9.3.15 extension with a 9.3.14 server.
Thanks for the help guys!