Extension compatibility between postgresql minor version - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Richer
Subject Extension compatibility between postgresql minor version
Date
Re: Extension compatibility between postgresql minor version  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general

Hi guys,

I want to check my production server for the free space map issue. https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Free_Space_Map_Problems

I am on Centos 6 currently running 9.3.14 using pgdg repository.

I need to install postgresql93-contrib to get the pg_freespacemap extension. Only postgresql93-contrib-9.3.15 package is available in pgdg repository. It will force me to upgrade my postgresql to 9.3.15 which will restart my production postgresql server which I am not yet ready to do, I want to know if we are affected by the free space map issue first.

My question: Would it be safe to install postgresql93-contrib-9.3.15 and not upgrade my postgresql server? In other words, would an extension compiled with 9.3.14 will work with a postgresql 9.3.15 server?

Thanks,

Davud