error when installing 9.3.0 on Slackware using slackbuilds

From
Tim
Date:
Good morning.  I am installing postgresql on my 64 bit Slackware
system with the slackbuilds script and the make file returns an error.
I suspect that it is rooted in the configure file, as there are
several errors in there.  One of them says that I need a newer version
of Flex than 2.5.31, and it identifies 2.6 installed.  That one threw
me off a bit and led me to examine the config log where I found
multiple errors elsewhere that I had not noticed.  If you can have a
look at the log and help me decipher it, I would be very grateful, as
I need postgresql for another installation I need for work.  I am
attaching the config log and if you need anything else, please let me
know.  Also, If I have sent this to the wrong place, please let me
know and I can send it elsewhere.  I got this address from the config
logs.  Have a great day and thanx for all the hard work you guys do so
we can have nice things to play with.

--
Tim Sayre
Kanawha IT Security <http://kitswv.com>

Attachment

Re: error when installing 9.3.0 on Slackware using slackbuilds

Date:
Tim <tim@kitswv.com> writes:
> Good morning.  I am installing postgresql on my 64 bit Slackware
> system with the slackbuilds script and the make file returns an error.

Well, the first question is why in the world are you installing 9.3.0.
The current release in that series is 9.3.15, and we didn't make those
patch releases just for idle amusement.  Even aside from your installation
problem, there are *SERIOUS* data loss bugs in the early 9.3.x releases.

> I suspect that it is rooted in the configure file, as there are
> several errors in there.  One of them says that I need a newer version
> of Flex than 2.5.31, and it identifies 2.6 installed.

Should be fixed as of 9.3.13, though I believe this is only a warning
and won't matter unless you decide to edit some of our flex input files.

AFAICS there isn't anything really wrong in that configure run, in fact
--- it definitely seems to have got to the end without error.  It's
normal to have reams of symbol-not-found-ish errors in config.log, since
that's basically how configure finds out what you do have.  It would
help if you'd shown the make error rather than assuming config.log is
what we need to see.

            regards, tom lane

Re: error when installing 9.3.0 on Slackware using slackbuilds

Date:
[ please keep the list cc'd ]

Tim <tim@kitswv.com> writes:
> The only reason I am using 9.3 is because that is what the slackbuild
> script had.  I am just using it for another program I am trying to
> install, so I figured I could get it installed then upgrade later.
> Since this is a dependency, I didn't want to spend too much time
> re-writing the slackbuild scripts until I tested it.  I am attaching
> the error output of the make command, starting with the part that
> looked like errors to me.  The main ones are at the bottom and it is
> all the output from the terminal.  Thanx for looking at this for me.

[ lots of errors like
libpq/be-secure.o: In function `SSLerrmessage':
be-secure.c:(.text+0x242): undefined reference to `ERR_get_error'
be-secure.c:(.text+0x264): undefined reference to `ERR_reason_error_string'
libpq/be-secure.o: In function `load_dh_buffer':
libpq/auth.o: In function `InitializeLDAPConnection.isra.2':
auth.c:(.text+0x267): undefined reference to `ldap_init'
auth.c:(.text+0x286): undefined reference to `ldap_set_option'
auth.c:(.text+0x2b9): undefined reference to `ldap_start_tls_s'
auth.c:(.text+0x2c8): undefined reference to `ldap_unbind'
auth.c:(.text+0x30d): undefined reference to `ldap_unbind'
auth.c:(.text+0x339): undefined reference to `ldap_err2string'
auth.c:(.text+0x3b3): undefined reference to `ldap_err2string'
utils/adt/xml.o: In function `xml_errorHandler':
xml.c:(.text+0x4c9): undefined reference to `__xmlGenericError'
xml.c:(.text+0x4d1): undefined reference to `__xmlGenericErrorContext'
xml.c:(.text+0x4e3): undefined reference to `xmlSetGenericErrorFunc'
xml.c:(.text+0x4f3): undefined reference to `xmlParserPrintFileContext'
xml.c:(.text+0x4fe): undefined reference to `xmlSetGenericErrorFunc'
]

Well, that's pretty odd, because your configure output clearly shows
that you didn't ask for OpenSSL support, nor LDAP support, nor XML
support.  So the build should not have compiled any references to
these functions.

I speculate that the slackbuild script you're using is playing fast
and loose with the PG configuration process, maybe hand-editing the
resulting pg_config.h in not-very-consistent ways.  Or maybe you're
trying to use generated files from different configure runs.
I think you could get a result like the above from a pg_config.h that
expected to build with these options plus a Makefile.global that
did not.

            regards, tom lane

Re: error when installing 9.3.0 on Slackware using slackbuilds

From
Tim
Date:
I downloaded the script and associated tarball and ran it as the
instructions said.  Then when it errored out, i deleted the whole
thing, redownloaded everything and started over and got the same
error.  That was when I inspected the logs and decided that I was
doing it right and submitted this.  I am going to include the script
with this one so that you can have a look to see if that is the issue.
I may try again tomorrow by editing the script and using the newer
version as was suggested, but that is when I usually get in trouble,
so wish me luck.  Thanx for all of your help.

--

Date:
Tim <tim@kitswv.com> writes:
> I downloaded the script and associated tarball and ran it as the
> instructions said.  Then when it errored out, i deleted the whole
> thing, redownloaded everything and started over and got the same
> error.  That was when I inspected the logs and decided that I was
> doing it right and submitted this.  I am going to include the script
> with this one so that you can have a look to see if that is the issue.

Well, the config.log you showed could not have come from the configure run
this script commands.  The log shows no evidence of having been given the
configure arguments appearing in the script, nor of the CFLAGS override
the script provides.

            regards, tom lane

Re: error when installing 9.3.0 on Slackware using slackbuilds

From
Tim
Date:
That is a huge problem, as this is the only computer I have ever
installed postgresql on and that is the file I ran when I installed
it.  Do you have any thoughts on how this can happen?  I am certainly
stumped.One more attempt then it is time to move on and forget this
tool altogether.  Thanx for trying to help figure it out.  Have a
great weekend.