volunteer to draft next update release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

So, lemme start again on trying to hand this off to other project
members, this time with something less critical: an update release.

I'd like a volunteer to draft the next update release, based on
templates from prior update releases.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 10/14/2016 01:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> So, lemme start again on trying to hand this off to other project
> members, this time with something less critical: an update release.
>
> I'd like a volunteer to draft the next update release, based on
> templates from prior update releases.

I'll do it.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Date:
On 10/14/2016 01:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> So, lemme start again on trying to hand this off to other project
> members, this time with something less critical: an update release.
>
> I'd like a volunteer to draft the next update release, based on
> templates from prior update releases.

Hello,

I would be happy to help.

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
> On Oct 14, 2016, at 4:35 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/14/2016 01:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> So, lemme start again on trying to hand this off to other project
>> members, this time with something less critical: an update release.
>>
>> I'd like a volunteer to draft the next update release, based on
>> templates from prior update releases.
>>

> I'll do it.

I am happy to help as well.  What is the timing for this next release?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Date:
> On Oct 17, 2016, at 10:14 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 14, 2016, at 4:35 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/14/2016 01:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> So, lemme start again on trying to hand this off to other project
>>> members, this time with something less critical: an update release.
>>>
>>> I'd like a volunteer to draft the next update release, based on
>>> templates from prior update releases.
>>>

>> I'll do it.
>
> I am happy to help as well.  What is the timing for this next release?

According to the latest pgweb commit, it’s Oct 27 :-) Please let me know what next steps are and I’m happy to help.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Jonathan S. Katz (jkatz@postgresql.org) wrote:

> > On Oct 17, 2016, at 10:14 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> >> I'll do it.
> >
> > I am happy to help as well.  What is the timing for this next release?
>
> According to the latest pgweb commit, it’s Oct 27 :-) Please let me know what next steps are and I’m happy to help.

Indeed, it's been moved up a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
Umair Shahid

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 10:14 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 14, 2016, at 4:35 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/14/2016 01:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> So, lemme start again on trying to hand this off to other project
>>> members, this time with something less critical: an update release.
>>>
>>> I'd like a volunteer to draft the next update release, based on
>>> templates from prior update releases.
>>>

>> I'll do it.
>
> I am happy to help as well.  What is the timing for this next release?

According to the latest pgweb commit, it’s Oct 27 :-) Please let me know what next steps are and I’m happy to help.

I can help as well.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh, Jon, Umair:

I have prepped this for you folks.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UpdateReleaseDrafting

Also, I've added an archive of past update releases, as well as
templates for future releases, to the "press" repository on
git.postgresql.org.  Let me know if any of you need permissions on that
repo.

This release is a bugfix release with no security issues, which is why
it's a good one to start with.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Josh,
> On Oct 17, 2016, at 5:28 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> Josh, Jon, Umair:
>
> I have prepped this for you folks.
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UpdateReleaseDrafting
>
> Also, I've added an archive of past update releases, as well as
> templates for future releases, to the "press" repository on
> git.postgresql.org.  Let me know if any of you need permissions on that
> repo.
>
> This release is a bugfix release with no security issues, which is why
> it's a good one to start with.

Thank you for putting this together, it is super helpful.

Where is the starting point for compiling information about what is going into the release, i.e. the “1 to 2 weeks out”
stepin the guide?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
Umair Shahid

Also, I've added an archive of past update releases, as well as
templates for future releases, to the "press" repository on
git.postgresql.org.  Let me know if any of you need permissions on that
repo.

I need permissions on this repository.

user.name=umairshahid

Date:
On 10/18/2016 10:15 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>> On Oct 17, 2016, at 5:28 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>> Josh, Jon, Umair:
>>
>> I have prepped this for you folks.
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UpdateReleaseDrafting
>>
>> Also, I've added an archive of past update releases, as well as
>> templates for future releases, to the "press" repository on
>> git.postgresql.org.  Let me know if any of you need permissions on that
>> repo.
>>
>> This release is a bugfix release with no security issues, which is why
>> it's a good one to start with.
>
> Thank you for putting this together, it is super helpful.
>
> Where is the starting point for compiling information about what is going into the release, i.e. the “1 to 2 weeks
out”step in the guide?

That's where we are now.  Tarballs will be bundled on Monday.

Date:
On 10/18/2016 10:19 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 10/18/2016 10:15 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Hi Josh,
>>> On Oct 17, 2016, at 5:28 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Josh, Jon, Umair:
>>>
>>> I have prepped this for you folks.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UpdateReleaseDrafting
>>>
>>> Also, I've added an archive of past update releases, as well as
>>> templates for future releases, to the "press" repository on
>>> git.postgresql.org.  Let me know if any of you need permissions on that
>>> repo.
>>>
>>> This release is a bugfix release with no security issues, which is why
>>> it's a good one to start with.
>>
>> Thank you for putting this together, it is super helpful.

I thought templates + documentation would be much better than talking
just one person through it.

>> Where is the starting point for compiling information about what is going into the release, i.e. the “1 to 2 weeks
out”step in the guide?

> That's where we are now.  Tarballs will be bundled on Monday.

Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.

There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
one for 9.6.

[...]

Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the specific feature list.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Date:
On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>
>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>> one for 9.6.
>
> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
> specific feature list.

Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
own on Monday.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:35 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>
>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>> one for 9.6.
>
> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
> specific feature list.

Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
own on Monday.

I have sent out an email to -hackers for this.

Date:
> On Oct 18, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>>
>>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>>> one for 9.6.
>>
>> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
>> specific feature list.
>
> Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
> now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
> work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
> own on Monday.

Per Tom on the -hackers thread, he advised waiting for the release notes.  Heikki identified the two major things.

Would you recommended drafting the notes in the wiki or in the “press” repo or put it in a thread?

Jonathan

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>>
>>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>>> one for 9.6.
>>
>> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
>> specific feature list.
>
> Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
> now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
> work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
> own on Monday.

Per Tom on the -hackers thread, he advised waiting for the release notes.  Heikki identified the two major things.

Would you recommended drafting the notes in the wiki or in the “press” repo or put it in a thread?

FYI, I have added a template named update_201610.md under the /update_releases/current in the press repo.

Jonathan

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:12 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>>
>>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>>> one for 9.6.
>>
>> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
>> specific feature list.
>
> Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
> now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
> work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
> own on Monday.

Per Tom on the -hackers thread, he advised waiting for the release notes.  Heikki identified the two major things.

Would you recommended drafting the notes in the wiki or in the “press” repo or put it in a thread?

FYI, I have added a template named update_201610.md under the /update_releases/current in the press repo.

Found this.  I am going to start filling in details.  Do I have push writes to the repo?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"

> On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>>
>>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>>> one for 9.6.
>>
>> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
>> specific feature list.
>
> Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
> now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
> work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
> own on Monday.

Per Tom on the -hackers thread, he advised waiting for the release notes.  Heikki identified the two major things.

Would you recommended drafting the notes in the wiki or in the “press” repo or put it in a thread?

FYI, I have added a template named update_201610.md under the /update_releases/current in the press repo.

Found this.  I am going to start filling in details.  Do I have push writes to the repo?

Answer is yes.

Because this is my first time doing this, I want to work on it early and often to get into the proper cadence :-)  I took a try at writing up the data corruption issue as well as adding the EOL language:

I understand part of the challenge is taking the detailed commit notes and putting it into language that makes sense to the users, which is why I want more eyes on this.  I intend to fill out more details once the rest of the release notes are out, but if there are major issues I find it prudent that we get the language for that correct so users understand the ramifications and the need to upgrade.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
Justin Clift
Date:
<snip>

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=commitdiff;h=38aadd18e9c64f30423f81920381b001fff8b4c5;hp=1ada1db63eaed94e499c1289e90bdf70a47f9fc0

> I understand part of the challenge is taking the detailed commit notes and putting it into language that makes sense
tothe users, which is why I want more eyes on this.  I intend to fill out more details once the rest of the release
notesare out, but if there are major issues I find it prudent that we get the language for that correct so users
understandthe ramifications and the need to upgrade.

Some bits after scanning through that. :)

 * For this fragment:

     ... and 9.1.24, where the 9.1 release is the last release for PostgreSQL
     version 9.1.

   It's kind of unclear about the 9.1.

   Would this be correct?

     ... and 9.1.24, where this 9.1 release will be the last for PostgreSQL
     version 9.1.

 * Typo bit here:

     This update fixes around the WAL-logging of truncated relations, which
     now ensure that the ...

   Probably nuke both "around", and "that"

That being said, this whole fragment seems super unwieldy:

  This update fixes around the WAL-logging of truncated relations, which now
  ensure that the FSM is truncated when a TRUNCATE command on a relation is
  issued, leading to data corruption.  Should the FSM not be truncated, a
  PostgreSQL database in recovery mode could return a page that has already
  been truncated and return an error such as ...

Probably just needs breaking up into shorter sentences, for easier mental
digestion. :)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

Date:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:47:51AM -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Answer is yes.
>
> Because this is my first time doing this, I want to work on it early and often
> to get into the proper cadence :-)  I took a try at writing up the data
> corruption issue as well as adding the EOL language:
>
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=commitdiff;h=
> 38aadd18e9c64f30423f81920381b001fff8b4c5;hp=
> 1ada1db63eaed94e499c1289e90bdf70a47f9fc0
>
> I understand part of the challenge is taking the detailed commit notes and
> putting it into language that makes sense to the users, which is why I want
> more eyes on this.  I intend to fill out more details once the rest of the
> release notes are out, but if there are major issues I find it prudent that we
> get the language for that correct so users understand the ramifications and the
> need to upgrade.

Yes, this is a wise approach as things like special upgrade instructions
are often not in the release notes, e.g. fixing visibility map
corruption when upgrading to 9.6.1 for big-endian systems.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:13 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:12 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>>
>>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>>> one for 9.6.
>>
>> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
>> specific feature list.
>
> Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
> now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
> work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
> own on Monday.

Per Tom on the -hackers thread, he advised waiting for the release notes.  Heikki identified the two major things.

Would you recommended drafting the notes in the wiki or in the “press” repo or put it in a thread?

FYI, I have added a template named update_201610.md under the /update_releases/current in the press repo.

Found this.  I am going to start filling in details.  Do I have push writes to the repo?

Answer is yes.

Because this is my first time doing this, I want to work on it early and often to get into the proper cadence :-)  I took a try at writing up the data corruption issue as well as adding the EOL language:

Is there a standard 'width' of the markdown file to be used before wraparound?

I understand part of the challenge is taking the detailed commit notes and putting it into language that makes sense to the users, which is why I want more eyes on this.  I intend to fill out more details once the rest of the release notes are out, but if there are major issues I find it prudent that we get the language for that correct so users understand the ramifications and the need to upgrade.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
Umair Shahid

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:13 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:12 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>>
>>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>>> one for 9.6.
>>
>> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
>> specific feature list.
>
> Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
> now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
> work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
> own on Monday.

Per Tom on the -hackers thread, he advised waiting for the release notes.  Heikki identified the two major things.

Would you recommended drafting the notes in the wiki or in the “press” repo or put it in a thread?

FYI, I have added a template named update_201610.md under the /update_releases/current in the press repo.

Found this.  I am going to start filling in details.  Do I have push writes to the repo?

Answer is yes.

Because this is my first time doing this, I want to work on it early and often to get into the proper cadence :-)  I took a try at writing up the data corruption issue as well as adding the EOL language:

I understand part of the challenge is taking the detailed commit notes and putting it into language that makes sense to the users, which is why I want more eyes on this.  I intend to fill out more details once the rest of the release notes are out, but if there are major issues I find it prudent that we get the language for that correct so users understand the ramifications and the need to upgrade.

I have pushed a few changes.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Everyone,

On Oct 20, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:13 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:12 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>>
>>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>>> one for 9.6.
>>
>> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
>> specific feature list.
>
> Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
> now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
> work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
> own on Monday.

Per Tom on the -hackers thread, he advised waiting for the release notes.  Heikki identified the two major things.

Would you recommended drafting the notes in the wiki or in the “press” repo or put it in a thread?

FYI, I have added a template named update_201610.md under the /update_releases/current in the press repo.

Found this.  I am going to start filling in details.  Do I have push writes to the repo?

Answer is yes.

Because this is my first time doing this, I want to work on it early and often to get into the proper cadence :-)  I took a try at writing up the data corruption issue as well as adding the EOL language:

I understand part of the challenge is taking the detailed commit notes and putting it into language that makes sense to the users, which is why I want more eyes on this.  I intend to fill out more details once the rest of the release notes are out, but if there are major issues I find it prudent that we get the language for that correct so users understand the ramifications and the need to upgrade.

I have pushed a few changes.

I reviewed Tom’s release notes and changed the major issues per how he prioritized them (Umair: I removed your description for the crash issue as that was not prioritized in the release notes).  I also filled out other fixes included in the release as well as the post-release instructions.  I also incorporated Justin’s feedback and removed run-ons.

Do you think we should highlight the DISTINCT aggregate crashes?  It seemed it was more important to highlight the potential data corruption vectors.

Per Josh’s timeline, the next step is to send it to -hackers for feedback, but I wanted to share with this group first before doing so.

Thanks,

Jonathan

On Oct 23, 2016, at 10:32 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

On Oct 20, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:13 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:12 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>>
>>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>>> one for 9.6.
>>
>> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
>> specific feature list.
>
> Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
> now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
> work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
> own on Monday.

Per Tom on the -hackers thread, he advised waiting for the release notes.  Heikki identified the two major things.

Would you recommended drafting the notes in the wiki or in the “press” repo or put it in a thread?

FYI, I have added a template named update_201610.md under the /update_releases/current in the press repo.

Found this.  I am going to start filling in details.  Do I have push writes to the repo?

Answer is yes.

Because this is my first time doing this, I want to work on it early and often to get into the proper cadence :-)  I took a try at writing up the data corruption issue as well as adding the EOL language:

I understand part of the challenge is taking the detailed commit notes and putting it into language that makes sense to the users, which is why I want more eyes on this.  I intend to fill out more details once the rest of the release notes are out, but if there are major issues I find it prudent that we get the language for that correct so users understand the ramifications and the need to upgrade.

I have pushed a few changes.

I reviewed Tom’s release notes and changed the major issues per how he prioritized them (Umair: I removed your description for the crash issue as that was not prioritized in the release notes).  I also filled out other fixes included in the release as well as the post-release instructions.  I also incorporated Justin’s feedback and removed run-ons.

Do you think we should highlight the DISTINCT aggregate crashes?  It seemed it was more important to highlight the potential data corruption vectors.

Per Josh’s timeline, the next step is to send it to -hackers for feedback, but I wanted to share with this group first before doing so.

Also per Josh’s timeline, the regional contacts should have been contacted on Friday.  Did someone already take care of this?  I am happy to do that first thing monday.  Is there a general mailing list for doing so or is it copying and pasting from here: https://www.postgresql.org/about/press/contact/

[Also: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/HowToRC is this still up to date?]

Thanks,

Jonathan

Date:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=update_releases/current/update_201610.md;h=f76a5eaaef2a030a8e1c472618a00ff66571f1f3;hb=7cd3c633b13f241db0a258dd9cd6f0aaa436531f

>> Do you think we should highlight the DISTINCT aggregate crashes?  It
>> seemed it was more important to highlight the potential data
>> corruption vectors.
>>
>> Per Josh’s timeline, the next step is to send it to -hackers for
>> feedback, but I wanted to share with this group first before doing so.
>
> Also per Josh’s timeline, the regional contacts should have been
> contacted on Friday.  Did someone already take care of this?  I am happy
> to do that first thing monday.  Is there a general mailing list for
> doing so or is it copying and pasting from
> here: https://www.postgresql.org/about/press/contact/

There is a mailing list, I can add you.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
Justin Clift
Date:
On 24 Oct 2016, at 03:32, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
<snip>
> I reviewed Tom’s release notes and changed the major issues per how he prioritized them (Umair: I removed your
descriptionfor the crash issue as that was not prioritized in the release notes).  I also filled out other fixes
includedin the release as well as the post-release instructions.  I also incorporated Justin’s feedback and removed
run-ons.

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=update_releases/current/update_201610.md;h=f76a5eaaef2a030a8e1c472618a00ff66571f1f3;hb=7cd3c633b13f241db0a258dd9cd6f0aaa436531f

No worries. :)

Small typo here:

   This is also the last release for the PostgreSQL 9.1 as it is now
   end-of-life.

It either needs "series" after the 9.1, or nuke the "the" just before
PostgreSQL.

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 24 Oct 2016, at 03:32, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>> I reviewed Tom’s release notes and changed the major issues per how he prioritized them (Umair: I removed your
descriptionfor the crash issue as that was not prioritized in the release notes).  I also filled out other fixes
includedin the release as well as the post-release instructions.  I also incorporated Justin’s feedback and removed
run-ons.

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=update_releases/current/update_201610.md;h=f76a5eaaef2a030a8e1c472618a00ff66571f1f3;hb=7cd3c633b13f241db0a258dd9cd6f0aaa436531f

> No worries. :)
>
> Small typo here:
>
>    This is also the last release for the PostgreSQL 9.1 as it is now
>    end-of-life.
>
> It either needs "series" after the 9.1, or nuke the "the" just before
> PostgreSQL.

s/pg_upgrad/pg_upgrade.
--
Michael

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

On Oct 20, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:13 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:12 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>>
>>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>>> one for 9.6.
>>
>> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
>> specific feature list.
>
> Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
> now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
> work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
> own on Monday.

Per Tom on the -hackers thread, he advised waiting for the release notes.  Heikki identified the two major things.

Would you recommended drafting the notes in the wiki or in the “press” repo or put it in a thread?

FYI, I have added a template named update_201610.md under the /update_releases/current in the press repo.

Found this.  I am going to start filling in details.  Do I have push writes to the repo?

Answer is yes.

Because this is my first time doing this, I want to work on it early and often to get into the proper cadence :-)  I took a try at writing up the data corruption issue as well as adding the EOL language:

I understand part of the challenge is taking the detailed commit notes and putting it into language that makes sense to the users, which is why I want more eyes on this.  I intend to fill out more details once the rest of the release notes are out, but if there are major issues I find it prudent that we get the language for that correct so users understand the ramifications and the need to upgrade.

I have pushed a few changes.

I reviewed Tom’s release notes and changed the major issues per how he prioritized them (Umair: I removed your description for the crash issue as that was not prioritized in the release notes).  I also filled out other fixes included in the release as well as the post-release instructions.  I also incorporated Justin’s feedback and removed run-ons.

2nd sentence in section "Bug Fixes and Improvements" starts with:

"Some of these issues affect only version 9.6.1"

Shouldn't it say version 9.6?

Do you think we should highlight the DISTINCT aggregate crashes?  It seemed it was more important to highlight the potential data corruption vectors.

Per Josh’s timeline, the next step is to send it to -hackers for feedback, but I wanted to share with this group first before doing so.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Everyone,

On Oct 24, 2016, at 8:27 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

On Oct 20, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:13 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:12 AM, Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2016 02:50 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Oh, also: 9.1 is EOL as of this release.
>>>
>>> There are several big fixes in this release, including a data-corruption
>>> one for 9.6.
>>
>> Sounds like it will be a fun writeup.  Looking forward to getting the
>> specific feature list.
>
> Well, whoever is going to be doing this should be going out on hackers
> now and figuring out what the big fixes are.  That's frankly most of the
> work -- well, that and the list of minor fixes, which will come on its
> own on Monday.

Per Tom on the -hackers thread, he advised waiting for the release notes.  Heikki identified the two major things.

Would you recommended drafting the notes in the wiki or in the “press” repo or put it in a thread?

FYI, I have added a template named update_201610.md under the /update_releases/current in the press repo.

Found this.  I am going to start filling in details.  Do I have push writes to the repo?

Answer is yes.

Because this is my first time doing this, I want to work on it early and often to get into the proper cadence :-)  I took a try at writing up the data corruption issue as well as adding the EOL language:

I understand part of the challenge is taking the detailed commit notes and putting it into language that makes sense to the users, which is why I want more eyes on this.  I intend to fill out more details once the rest of the release notes are out, but if there are major issues I find it prudent that we get the language for that correct so users understand the ramifications and the need to upgrade.

I have pushed a few changes.

I reviewed Tom’s release notes and changed the major issues per how he prioritized them (Umair: I removed your description for the crash issue as that was not prioritized in the release notes).  I also filled out other fixes included in the release as well as the post-release instructions.  I also incorporated Justin’s feedback and removed run-ons.

2nd sentence in section "Bug Fixes and Improvements" starts with:

"Some of these issues affect only version 9.6.1"

Shouldn't it say version 9.6?

Thank you all for the feedback!  I have incorporated it here:

I will wait for another hour of feedback and then post it to -hackers for comments.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
Josh Berkus
Jonathan:

> I will wait for another hour of feedback and then post it to -hackers
> for comments.

Suggested change in first paragraph:

"The PostgreSQL Global Development Group has released an update to all
supported versions of our database system, including 9.6.1, 9.5.5,
9.4.10, 9.3.15, 9.2.19, and 9.1.24.  This is also the last update for
                                                          ^^^^^^^^
the PostgreSQL 9.1 series as it is now end-of-life. This release fixes
two issues that can cause data corruption, which are described in more
detail below. It also patches a number of other bugs reported over the
last three months."

This part is confusing to me:

"Users who are affected by the data corruption issues should update
immediately. Other users should plan to update at the next convenient
downtime."

So ... the WAL-logging issue affects everyone on 9.3 or later, which is
most users reading the update releases.  However, it can't be that
common or we'd have gotten bug reports on it more frequently.  The big
endian issue is new and severe.  I might suggest instead:

"The project urges users to apply this update at the next possible
downtime."

... since it's really only 9.1/9.2 users on Intel who are unaffected by
either issue, and we want 9.1 users to upgrade anyway. Users can opt out
if they think it doesn't affect them.

Otherwise, looks great.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
Justin Clift
Date:
<snip>

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=update_releases/current/update_201610.md;h=f9fa025b3b9be5d6f8ce478062ddde8af3ffd9d5;hb=cb499f7b2506fafa75e02b733fa4780f1ed5fa9d

> I will wait for another hour of feedback and then post it to -hackers for comments.

Good stuff, it's sounding pretty polished now. :)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

On Oct 24, 2016, at 12:40 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
[...]

Cool - thank you.  I have incorporated the feedback here:

Will message to -hackers.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: volunteer to draft next update release

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"

On Oct 24, 2016, at 1:07 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

I have incorporated the feedback from -hackers and the final copy is available here:

I will send this out to the regional contacts tonight.

Thanks!

Jonathan

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 24, 2016, at 1:07 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

I have incorporated the feedback from -hackers and the final copy is available here:

I will send this out to the regional contacts tonight.

Pushed a couple of very minor tweaks: 681910e6a9f0fd1d859abf576e1c5549759edc9c

Went through the entire text once more ... looks good!

Thanks!

Jonathan

On Oct 25, 2016, at 10:15 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 24, 2016, at 1:07 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

I have incorporated the feedback from -hackers and the final copy is available here:

I will send this out to the regional contacts tonight.

The release has gone out.  Per Josh’s guide, I have moved the copy into the archive.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Best,

Jonathan

Date:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=update_releases/current/update_201610.md;h=aac4d0b36f3f3017d319ac617eff901efe0c10c0;hb=880dc99766ee0e608e95d9c0f36ce3cde59f470f

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=tree;f=update_releases/current;h=2d4e41cc3f1038aee52fe07e194e321c96bcd979;hb=d0f392f32969f3a911a72745696ef40c4dc5492a

>> I will send this out to the regional contacts tonight.
>
> The release has gone out.  Per Josh’s guide, I have moved the copy into
> the archive.
>
> Thanks everyone for your help!

Awesome!  Great work.

Now comes the difficult part ... security releases.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)