Re: volunteer to draft next update release - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: volunteer to draft next update release
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Jonathan:

> I will wait for another hour of feedback and then post it to -hackers
> for comments.

Suggested change in first paragraph:

"The PostgreSQL Global Development Group has released an update to all
supported versions of our database system, including 9.6.1, 9.5.5,
9.4.10, 9.3.15, 9.2.19, and 9.1.24.  This is also the last update for
                                                          ^^^^^^^^
the PostgreSQL 9.1 series as it is now end-of-life. This release fixes
two issues that can cause data corruption, which are described in more
detail below. It also patches a number of other bugs reported over the
last three months."

This part is confusing to me:

"Users who are affected by the data corruption issues should update
immediately. Other users should plan to update at the next convenient
downtime."

So ... the WAL-logging issue affects everyone on 9.3 or later, which is
most users reading the update releases.  However, it can't be that
common or we'd have gotten bug reports on it more frequently.  The big
endian issue is new and severe.  I might suggest instead:

"The project urges users to apply this update at the next possible
downtime."

... since it's really only 9.1/9.2 users on Intel who are unaffected by
either issue, and we want 9.1 users to upgrade anyway. Users can opt out
if they think it doesn't affect them.

Otherwise, looks great.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS