Latest marketing material, flyers, etc

From
"Riaan Stander"

Good day

I’m leading the charge in our company to change our software product from SQL Server to PostgreSQL.

Our reasons are as follows:

Cost: To use our product our self-hosted clients need to have SQL Server installed. None of them can afford the cost of Enterprise edition, limiting our ability to offer high availability solutions.

Agility: When we want to use features in newer version of SQL Server we are in effect forcing our clients to upgrade, at their cost, to the latest version. This obviously does not go down well, limiting our ability to move forward.

Our own hosting cost: Even for ourselves paying for SQL Server Enterprise in order to offer high availability is not a option.

Given the above I’m proposing our company drop SQL Server and move over to PostgreSQL. Apart from technical features, which we are testing, business needs convincing to move away from something they know to something new.

Can you point me to any marketing material, facts, use cases, white papers that can help state my business case.

Regards

Riaan

Re: Latest marketing material, flyers, etc

From
Justin Clift
Date:
On 25 Sep 2016, at 10:12, Riaan Stander <rstander@exa.co.za> wrote:

> Good day
>
> I’m leading the charge in our company to change our software product from SQL Server to PostgreSQL.
>
> Our reasons are as follows:
> Cost: To use our product our self-hosted clients need to have SQL Server installed. None of them can afford the cost
ofEnterprise edition, limiting our ability to offer high availability solutions.
> Agility: When we want to use features in newer version of SQL Server we are in effect forcing our clients to upgrade,
attheir cost, to the latest version. This obviously does not go down well, limiting our ability to move forward.
> Our own hosting cost: Even for ourselves paying for SQL Server Enterprise in order to offer high availability is not
aoption.

> Given the above I’m proposing our company drop SQL Server and move over to PostgreSQL. Apart from technical features,
whichwe are testing, business needs convincing to move away from something they know to something new.

> Can you point me to any marketing material, facts, use cases, white papers that can help state my business case.

There are some Case Studies here, mostly from ~2011-2012 though as we
haven’t been keeping that up to date:

  * https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Case_Study_Links

As a thought, if your company uses VMware internally, these will probably
be relevant then:

  *
https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2016/03/getting-comfortable-with-vpostgres-and-the-vcenter-server-appliance-part-1.html
  *
https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2016/05/getting-comfortable-with-vpostgres-and-the-vcenter-server-appliance-part-2.html

Those two links are about VMware moving to bundle PostgreSQL as the
embedded vCenter database (for ~all installations).  Both an interesting
read, but also can be pointed out that places using VMware might as well
start getting some PostgreSQL understanding happening now. :D

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi

Re: Latest marketing material, flyers, etc

From
"Gunnar \"Nick\" Bluth"
Date:

Am 25.09.2016 um 11:12 schrieb Riaan Stander:
> Good day
>

> I’m leading the charge in our company to change our software
> product from SQL Server to PostgreSQL.

Having been exposed to SQL-Server for a while, all I can say is: good
choice ;-)

> Our reasons are as follows:
>
> Cost: To use our product our self-hosted clients need to have SQL
> Server installed. None of them can afford the cost of Enterprise
> edition, limiting our ability to offer high availability
> solutions.
>
> Agility: When we want to use features in newer version of SQL
> Server we are in effect forcing our clients to upgrade, at their
> cost, to the latest version. This obviously does not go down well,
> limiting our ability to move forward.
>
> Our own hosting cost: Even for ourselves paying for SQL Server
> Enterprise in order to offer high availability is not a option.
>

> Given the above I’m proposing our company drop SQL Server and move
> over to PostgreSQL. Apart from technical features, which we are
> testing, business needs convincing to move away from something they
> know to something new.
>

> Can you point me to any marketing material, facts, use cases,
> white papers that can help state my business case.

I'd reckon your internal hosting costs should be enough to convince
your management. But alas, as most companies do their financial (and
effort) calculations in slightly different ways, you'll probably have
to do that math yourself...

I've got some more technical ammo for you though:

First, I very much like https://www.pg-versus-ms.com/.
Then, I've given a talk about basically what you miss when you stay
with SQL-Server at the pgconf.de 2015 (the slides are in english):
https://wiki.postgresql.org/images/b/b2/Gunnar_Bluth_-_tis_but_a_scratch
_pgconf.de_2015-11-27.odp

Hope that helps!

Best regards,