Fwd: A better translation version of Chinese for psql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
Hi translators,

Can you take a look at the Chinese translation update from Rugal
Bernstein below? I just spotted this in the Postgres July commitfest,
but there's no need to track it there.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: A better translation version of Chinese for psql/po/zh_CN.po file
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 22:22:26 -0600
From: tenjindescend@gmail.com <tenjindescend@gmail.com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>

Hello all,
This is my first patch to postgreSQL, so I think I'd better start from a
easy one.

I am a native Chinese speaker. A lot of words and expressions are
different between mainsand Chinese and TaiWan/HongKong Chinese.

For instance TaiWan Chinese will use "档案" to represent "file", but in
mainland Chinese we use "文件". Things like that make a huge difference
in 'src/bin/psql/po/zh_CN.po', after check this file, I manually
translate and modify the entire file to make it more native Chinese
like, but I think there still have some space to improve.

If any of you think this version of translation is useful or have any
question , please let me know.

Rugal Bernstein
Graduate Student @ University of Manitoba
Data Mining; Machine Learning; Neural Network

Attachment

Re: A better translation version of Chinese for psql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
Rugal Bernstein
Date:
Hi all,
Sorry for the later response. I am not familiar with the commit procedure. I am here to raise this patch again in the 2015-11 commitfest.
Still the same, I am pretty confident with my translation. I guarantee it is very orthodox and much more native than the TW version.

--
io         : rugal.ml
github : Rugal

Re: A better translation version of Chinese for psql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Rugal Bernstein wrote:
> Hi all,
> Sorry for the later response. I am not familiar with the commit procedure.
> I am here to raise this patch again in the 2015-11 commitfest.
> Still the same, I am pretty confident with my translation. I guarantee it
> is very orthodox and much more native than the TW version.

Hi,

Please have a look at this website: https://babel.postgresql.org/
In there, you will find a lot of information about the current status of
the translation of all the various branches for the language, as well as
a git repository that you can clone.  The repository contains branches
for each active Postgres branch.

The methodology I recommend you follow is to download a .po file from
the website, then use it as a base to apply your new translations.

I just pushed your translation to the master branch (which is for
Postgres 9.5) -- to do so, I downloaded
https://babel.postgresql.org/po-current/psql-zh_CN.po (linked in the
website) then ran "msgmerge your-file.po psql-zh_CN.po", then committed
that as the new version of psql/zh_CN.po.

Hmm, ouch.  After pushing, I found out that during 2014, our established
translator Xiong He was still active:
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=320&aid=1011462&group_id=1000064
Did you try contacting him before updating the translation?  What is the
reason for this alleged divergence?  I don't see Xiong He updating the
TW translation (which has stalled since 2011) so I have trouble
understanding exactly why you are calling our existing translation "the
TW version".

Re: A better translation version of Chinese for psql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
Rugal Bernstein
Date:
Hi all,
After 2 hours of work, I think I translated most of the words into very native Chinese style.
I also attach my github repo.
Please check! Thanks!

On 4 September 2015 at 14:38, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I just pushed your translation to the master branch (which is for
> Postgres 9.5) -- to do so, I downloaded
> https://babel.postgresql.org/po-current/psql-zh_CN.po (linked in the
> website) then ran "msgmerge your-file.po psql-zh_CN.po", then committed
> that as the new version of psql/zh_CN.po.

BTW, the file I pushed contained lots of "fuzzy" strings, so I suggest
you provide an updated translation soon.

--
Álvaro Herrera

--
io         : rugal.ga
github : Rugal
Attachment

Re: A better translation version of Chinese for psql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
Rugal Bernstein
Date:
Hi all,
I finally checked all "fuzzy" phrase and have this zh CN translated po file for psql. please check!

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I just pushed your translation to the master branch (which is for
> Postgres 9.5) -- to do so, I downloaded
> https://babel.postgresql.org/po-current/psql-zh_CN.po (linked in the
> website) then ran "msgmerge your-file.po psql-zh_CN.po", then committed
> that as the new version of psql/zh_CN.po.

BTW, the file I pushed contained lots of "fuzzy" strings, so I suggest
you provide an updated translation soon.

--
Álvaro Herrera

--
io         : rugal.ga
github : Rugal
mail      : ryujinwrath@gmail.com
linkedin : Yunheng Yao
twitter   : @ryujinwrath
facebook: Rugal Bernstein
QQ       : 359788955

--
io         : rugal.ga
github : Rugal
mail      : ryujinwrath@gmail.com
linkedin : Yunheng Yao
twitter   : @ryujinwrath
facebook: Rugal Bernstein
QQ       : 359788955
Attachment

Re: A better translation version of Chinese forpsql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
"He Xiong"
Date:
the zh_CN.po is different with the TW version.
I think, Álvaro is right. Please download the current po files from  https://babel.postgresql.org/ and make the change, then submit the patch.

------------------
Regards,
Sean (Xiong He)

> Sorry for the later response. I am not familiar with the commit procedure.
> I am here to raise this patch again in the 2015-11 commitfest.
> Still the same, I am pretty confident with my translation. I guarantee it
> is very orthodox and much more native than the TW version.

Hi,

Please have a look at this website: https://babel.postgresql.org/
In there, you will find a lot of information about the current status of
the translation of all the various branches for the language, as well as
a git repository that you can clone.  The repository contains branches
for each active Postgres branch.

The methodology I recommend you follow is to download a .po file from
the website, then use it as a base to apply your new translations.

I just pushed your translation to the master branch (which is for
Postgres 9.5) -- to do so, I downloaded
https://babel.postgresql.org/po-current/psql-zh_CN.po (linked in the
website) then ran "msgmerge your-file.po psql-zh_CN.po", then committed
that as the new version of psql/zh_CN.po.

Hmm, ouch.  After pushing, I found out that during 2014, our established
translator Xiong He was still active:
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=320&aid=1011462&group_id=1000064
Did you try contacting him before updating the translation?  What is the
reason for this alleged divergence?  I don't see Xiong He updating the
TW translation (which has stalled since 2011) so I have trouble
understanding exactly why you are calling our existing translation "the
TW version".

--
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Service

Re: A better translation version of Chinese forpsql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
chenhj
Date:
Hi

I checked part of the psql's zh_CN.po file that Rugal Bernstein provided(only line 1~707),
I think the almost translation is better than the original one,
however there still remains not native translation,
and some C format  string is wrong,Such as:

#: ../../common/username.c:62
#,  c-format
msgid "user name lookup failure: error code %lu"
msgstr "用户名查找失败: 错误码%s"

should  be:
msgstr "用户名查找失败: 错误码%lu"

Please look the attachment for detal.

Regards,
Chen Huajun

the zh_CN.po is different with the TW version.
I think, Álvaro is right. Please download the current po files from  https://babel.postgresql.org/ and make the change, then submit the patch.

------------------
Regards,
Sean (Xiong He)

> Sorry for the later response. I am not familiar with the commit procedure.
> I am here to raise this patch again in the 2015-11 commitfest.
> Still the same, I am pretty confident with my translation. I guarantee it
> is very orthodox and much more native than the TW version.

Hi,

Please have a look at this website: https://babel.postgresql.org/
In there, you will find a lot of information about the current status of
the translation of all the various branches for the language, as well as
a git repository that you can clone.  The repository contains branches
for each active Postgres branch.

The methodology I recommend you follow is to download a .po file from
the website, then use it as a base to apply your new translations.

I just pushed your translation to the master branch (which is for
Postgres 9.5) -- to do so, I downloaded
https://babel.postgresql.org/po-current/psql-zh_CN.po (linked in the
website) then ran "msgmerge your-file.po psql-zh_CN.po", then committed
that as the new version of psql/zh_CN.po.

Hmm, ouch.  After pushing, I found out that during 2014, our established
translator Xiong He was still active:
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=320&aid=1011462&group_id=1000064
Did you try contacting him before updating the translation?  What is the
reason for this alleged divergence?  I don't see Xiong He updating the
TW translation (which has stalled since 2011) so I have trouble
understanding exactly why you are calling our existing translation "the
TW version".

--
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Service
Attachment

Re: A better translation version of Chineseforpsql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
"He Xiong"
Date:
Hi,

Yes.  the current content of po_zh-CN files : https://babel.postgresql.org/ haven't been translated.
I'll update them and submit the patch later.

BTW, could somebody close the commited translation on pgFoundry?
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1011462&group_id=1000064&atid=320

I just noticed the comment from: Daniele Varrazzo
Date: 2014-12-06 18:09
Sender: Daniele Varrazzo

Committed and pushed. I don't seem to have privileges to close the ticket though: please someone close it. Thank you.

------------------
Regards,
Sean (Xiong He)

> Sorry for the later response. I am not familiar with the commit procedure.
> I am here to raise this patch again in the 2015-11 commitfest.
> Still the same, I am pretty confident with my translation. I guarantee it
> is very orthodox and much more native than the TW version.

Hi,

Please have a look at this website: https://babel.postgresql.org/
In there, you will find a lot of information about the current status of
the translation of all the various branches for the language, as well as
a git repository that you can clone.  The repository contains branches
for each active Postgres branch.

The methodology I recommend you follow is to download a .po file from
the website, then use it as a base to apply your new translations.

I just pushed your translation to the master branch (which is for
Postgres 9.5) -- to do so, I downloaded
https://babel.postgresql.org/po-current/psql-zh_CN.po (linked in the
website) then ran "msgmerge your-file.po psql-zh_CN.po", then committed
that as the new version of psql/zh_CN.po.

Hmm, ouch.  After pushing, I found out that during 2014, our established
translator Xiong He was still active:
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=320&aid=1011462&group_id=1000064
Did you try contacting him before updating the translation?  What is the
reason for this alleged divergence?  I don't see Xiong He updating the
TW translation (which has stalled since 2011) so I have trouble
understanding exactly why you are calling our existing translation "the
TW version".

--
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Service

Re: A better translation version of Chinese for psql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 9/4/15 1:31 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Rugal Bernstein wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Sorry for the later response. I am not familiar with the commit procedure.
>> I am here to raise this patch again in the 2015-11 commitfest.
>> Still the same, I am pretty confident with my translation. I guarantee it
>> is very orthodox and much more native than the TW version.
>
> Hi,
>
> Please have a look at this website: https://babel.postgresql.org/
> In there, you will find a lot of information about the current status of
> the translation of all the various branches for the language, as well as
> a git repository that you can clone.  The repository contains branches
> for each active Postgres branch.
>
> The methodology I recommend you follow is to download a .po file from
> the website, then use it as a base to apply your new translations.
>
> I just pushed your translation to the master branch (which is for
> Postgres 9.5) -- to do so, I downloaded
> https://babel.postgresql.org/po-current/psql-zh_CN.po (linked in the
> website) then ran "msgmerge your-file.po psql-zh_CN.po", then committed
> that as the new version of psql/zh_CN.po.

If I interpret the rest of this thread correctly, then the proposed
changes were to make the style more suitable for TW.  I don't know if
updating the CN file was correct.

Re: A better translation version of Chinese forpsql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
"Xiong He"
Date:
thanks

Recently, I've submited an updated patch for the latest zh_CN po files in the pgfoundry.
Could somebody make the review/merge into the source code?

------------------
Regards,
Sean (Xiong He, 何雄)

On 9/4/15 1:31 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Rugal Bernstein wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Sorry for the later response. I am not familiar with the commit procedure.
>> I am here to raise this patch again in the 2015-11 commitfest.
>> Still the same, I am pretty confident with my translation. I guarantee it
>> is very orthodox and much more native than the TW version.
>
> Hi,
>
> Please have a look at this website: https://babel.postgresql.org/
> In there, you will find a lot of information about the current status of
> the translation of all the various branches for the language, as well as
> a git repository that you can clone.  The repository contains branches
> for each active Postgres branch.
>
> The methodology I recommend you follow is to download a .po file from
> the website, then use it as a base to apply your new translations.
>
> I just pushed your translation to the master branch (which is for
> Postgres 9.5) -- to do so, I downloaded
> https://babel.postgresql.org/po-current/psql-zh_CN.po (linked in the
> website) then ran "msgmerge your-file.po psql-zh_CN.po", then committed
> that as the new version of psql/zh_CN.po.

If I interpret the rest of this thread correctly, then the proposed
changes were to make the style more suitable for TW.  I don't know if
updating the CN file was correct.

Re: A better translation version of Chinese forpsql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
Euler Taveira
Date:
On 20-09-2015 10:06, Xiong He wrote:
> Recently, I've submited an updated patch for the latest zh_CN po files
> in the pgfoundry.
> Could somebody make the review/merge into the source code?

Are we still using pgfoundry? AFAIK it will be shutdown in a few weeks.

As indicated in [1], the right place to submit translation updates is [2].

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NLS#Translating
[2] https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgtranslation

--
    Euler Taveira                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/

Re: A better translation version of Chinese forpsql/po/zh_CN.pofile

From
"Xiong He"
Date:
thanks.
I submitted it into https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgtranslation again.

------------------
Regards,
Sean (Xiong He, 何雄)

From:  "Euler Taveira";<euler@timbira.com.br>;
Date:  Sun, Sep 20, 2015 09:36 PM
To:  "Xiong He"<iihero@qq.com>; "Peter Eisentraut"<peter_e@gmx.net>; "Alvaro Herrera"<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>; "Rugal Bernstein"<tenjindescend@gmail.com>;
Cc:  "Heikki Linnakangas"<hlinnaka@iki.fi>; "pgsql-translators"<pgsql-translators@postgresql.org>;

On 20-09-2015 10:06, Xiong He wrote:
> Recently, I've submited an updated patch for the latest zh_CN po files
> in the pgfoundry.
> Could somebody make the review/merge into the source code?

Are we still using pgfoundry? AFAIK it will be shutdown in a few weeks.

As indicated in [1], the right place to submit translation updates is [2].

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NLS#Translating
[2] https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgtranslation

--
    Euler Taveira                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/

Re: A better translation version of Chinese forpsql/po/zh_CN.po file

From
"Xiong He"
Date:
Anybody process the translation items I submitted two months ago?
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/932

Thanks so much.

Regards,
Sean (Xiong He, 何雄)