Bad sorting on source

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hey,

When we go to download PostgreSQL from the website we show ancient
versions first:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

We should show the current versions first.

JD
--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Date:
2014-02-04 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:

> Hey,
>
> When we go to download PostgreSQL from the website we show ancient versions
> first:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/
>
> We should show the current versions first.

I get my source mainly from GIT these days, but now you mention it I've been
annoyed by having to scroll down the growing list to find the latest versions,
so +1 from me. I can put my keyboard where my mouth is if there's some
coding needed to fix this.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
2014-02-04 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:

> Hey,
>
> When we go to download PostgreSQL from the website we show ancient versions
> first:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/
>
> We should show the current versions first.

I get my source mainly from GIT these days, but now you mention it I've been
annoyed by having to scroll down the growing list to find the latest versions,
so +1 from me. I can put my keyboard where my mouth is if there's some
coding needed to fix this.

I know somebody was working on this before, but I can't actually remember who it was :O

I don't think I've seen a patch.

Thus you are more than welcome to contribute :) git.postgresql.org, project is "pgweb" :)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 02/04/2014 12:19 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com
> <mailto:barwick@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     2014-02-04 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com
>     <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>>:
>     >
>     > Hey,
>     >
>     > When we go to download PostgreSQL from the website we show ancient
>     versions
>     > first:
>     >
>     > http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/
>     >
>     > We should show the current versions first.
>
>     I get my source mainly from GIT these days, but now you mention it
>     I've been
>     annoyed by having to scroll down the growing list to find the latest
>     versions,
>     so +1 from me. I can put my keyboard where my mouth is if there's some
>     coding needed to fix this.
>

> I know somebody was working on this before, but I can't actually
> remember who it was :O
>
> I don't think I've seen a patch.
>
> Thus you are more than welcome to contribute :) git.postgresql.org
> <http://git.postgresql.org>, project is "pgweb" :)

hmm pretty sure I actually had a patch somewhere - not entirely sure I
can find it again :)

Stefan

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Date:
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2014-02-04 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:
>> >
>> > Hey,
>> >
>> > When we go to download PostgreSQL from the website we show ancient
>> > versions
>> > first:
>> >
>> > http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/
>> >
>> > We should show the current versions first.
>>
>> I get my source mainly from GIT these days, but now you mention it I've
>> been
>> annoyed by having to scroll down the growing list to find the latest
>> versions,
>> so +1 from me. I can put my keyboard where my mouth is if there's some
>> coding needed to fix this.
>

> I know somebody was working on this before, but I can't actually remember
> who it was :O
>
> I don't think I've seen a patch.
>
> Thus you are more than welcome to contribute :) git.postgresql.org, project
> is "pgweb" :)

(...time passes…)

Stupid question from someone not terribly familiar with Python frameworks -
the installation instructions say "django *version 1.4*", is 1.4 a
specific requirement
or would later versions work? (I have 1.5.1 available right now).

Thanks

Ian Barwick

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Date:
>> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I get my source mainly from GIT these days, but now you mention it I've
>>> been
>>> annoyed by having to scroll down the growing list to find the latest
>>> versions,
>>> so +1 from me. I can put my keyboard where my mouth is if there's some
>>> coding needed to fix this.
>>

>> I know somebody was working on this before, but I can't actually remember
>> who it was :O
>>
>> I don't think I've seen a patch.
>>
>> Thus you are more than welcome to contribute :) git.postgresql.org, project
>> is "pgweb" :)
>
> (...time passes…)
>
> Stupid question from someone not terribly familiar with Python frameworks -
> the installation instructions say "django *version 1.4*", is 1.4 a
> specific requirement
> or would later versions work? (I have 1.5.1 available right now).

OK, it looks like 1.4 is needed, I get a "No module named simple" error
with 1.5.1.

Ian Barwick

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 02/18/2014 06:35 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:

>>> I know somebody was working on this before, but I can't actually remember
>>> who it was :O
>>>
>>> I don't think I've seen a patch.
>>>
>>> Thus you are more than welcome to contribute :) git.postgresql.org, project
>>> is "pgweb" :)
>>
>> (...time passes…)
>>
>> Stupid question from someone not terribly familiar with Python frameworks -
>> the installation instructions say "django *version 1.4*", is 1.4 a
>> specific requirement
>> or would later versions work? (I have 1.5.1 available right now).
>
> OK, it looks like 1.4 is needed, I get a "No module named simple" error
> with 1.5.1.

yeah - there is usually not a lot of testing done on newer/older
versions of python/django than what is in Debian Wheezy (or rather
Debian stable at a given time) because that is our deployment target for
production.
Needless to say that we will also take patches for making it work with
newer versions as well to save us some time on the next upgrade ;)

Stefan

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
On 02/18/2014 06:35 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:

>>> I know somebody was working on this before, but I can't actually remember
>>> who it was :O
>>>
>>> I don't think I've seen a patch.
>>>
>>> Thus you are more than welcome to contribute :) git.postgresql.org, project
>>> is "pgweb" :)
>>
>> (...time passes…)
>>
>> Stupid question from someone not terribly familiar with Python frameworks -
>> the installation instructions say "django *version 1.4*", is 1.4 a
>> specific requirement
>> or would later versions work? (I have 1.5.1 available right now).
>
> OK, it looks like 1.4 is needed, I get a "No module named simple" error
> with 1.5.1.

yeah - there is usually not a lot of testing done on newer/older
versions of python/django than what is in Debian Wheezy (or rather
Debian stable at a given time) because that is our deployment target for
production.
Needless to say that we will also take patches for making it work with
newer versions as well to save us some time on the next upgrade ;)

Absolutely. It's probably not a huge set of updates to work, but they do need to be done :) Of course, the next debian stable will have Django 1.6, so we're likely just going to bypass 1.5.

And of course, any such patches need to be backwards compatible.

Personally I just set up a virtualenv with exactly the same version, to make sure I test on the same thing that goes in prod.

--

Date:

>>> (...time passes…)
>>>
>>> Stupid question from someone not terribly familiar with Python frameworks -
>>> the installation instructions say "django *version 1.4*", is 1.4 a
>>> specific requirement
>>> or would later versions work? (I have 1.5.1 available right now).
>>
>> OK, it looks like 1.4 is needed, I get a "No module named simple" error
>> with 1.5.1.
>
> yeah - there is usually not a lot of testing done on newer/older
> versions of python/django than what is in Debian Wheezy (or rather
> Debian stable at a given time) because that is our deployment target for
> production.

Aha, I see. I was just floundering slightly due to previous 0% experience.
Anyway got it working now with much less effort than I anticipated :)

> Needless to say that we will also take patches for making it work with
> newer versions as well to save us some time on the next upgrade ;)

First things first… Django 1.4 seems to be a LTS edition anyway ;)

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Vik Fearing
Date:
On 02/18/2014 10:34 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
On 02/18/2014 06:35 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:

>> Stupid question from someone not terribly familiar with Python frameworks -
>> the installation instructions say "django *version 1.4*", is 1.4 a
>> specific requirement
>> or would later versions work? (I have 1.5.1 available right now).
>
> OK, it looks like 1.4 is needed, I get a "No module named simple" error
> with 1.5.1.

yeah - there is usually not a lot of testing done on newer/older
versions of python/django than what is in Debian Wheezy (or rather
Debian stable at a given time) because that is our deployment target for
production.
Needless to say that we will also take patches for making it work with
newer versions as well to save us some time on the next upgrade ;)

Absolutely. It's probably not a huge set of updates to work, but they do need to be done :) Of course, the next debian stable will have Django 1.6, so we're likely just going to bypass 1.5.

And of course, any such patches need to be backwards compatible.

Perhaps a patch like the one attached should be applied?
--
Vik
Attachment

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Magnus Hagander

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@dalibo.com> wrote:
On 02/18/2014 10:34 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
On 02/18/2014 06:35 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:

>> Stupid question from someone not terribly familiar with Python frameworks -
>> the installation instructions say "django *version 1.4*", is 1.4 a
>> specific requirement
>> or would later versions work? (I have 1.5.1 available right now).
>
> OK, it looks like 1.4 is needed, I get a "No module named simple" error
> with 1.5.1.

yeah - there is usually not a lot of testing done on newer/older
versions of python/django than what is in Debian Wheezy (or rather
Debian stable at a given time) because that is our deployment target for
production.
Needless to say that we will also take patches for making it work with
newer versions as well to save us some time on the next upgrade ;)

Absolutely. It's probably not a huge set of updates to work, but they do need to be done :) Of course, the next debian stable will have Django 1.6, so we're likely just going to bypass 1.5.

And of course, any such patches need to be backwards compatible.

Perhaps a patch like the one attached should be applied?

Hah, that is indeed a typo. Thanks, applied.

--

Date:

>>> OK, it looks like 1.4 is needed, I get a "No module named simple" error
>>> with 1.5.1.
>>
>> yeah - there is usually not a lot of testing done on newer/older
>> versions of python/django than what is in Debian Wheezy (or rather
>> Debian stable at a given time) because that is our deployment target for
>> production.
>
> Aha, I see. I was just floundering slightly due to previous 0% experience.
> Anyway got it working now with much less effort than I anticipated :)

Teensy patch for the install notes to clarify the import order for the
additional SQL files.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Attachment

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OK, it looks like 1.4 is needed, I get a "No module named simple" error
>>> with 1.5.1.
>>
>> yeah - there is usually not a lot of testing done on newer/older
>> versions of python/django than what is in Debian Wheezy (or rather
>> Debian stable at a given time) because that is our deployment target for
>> production.
>
> Aha, I see. I was just floundering slightly due to previous 0% experience.
> Anyway got it working now with much less effort than I anticipated :)

Teensy patch for the install notes to clarify the import order for the
additional SQL files.

Is there a particular reason you removed the blockquote-indicators (the double colons) in the RST files?

If not, I'll just apply it without those :)

--

Date:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Aha, I see. I was just floundering slightly due to previous 0%
>> > experience.
>> > Anyway got it working now with much less effort than I anticipated :)
>>
>> Teensy patch for the install notes to clarify the import order for the
>> additional SQL files.
>

> Is there a particular reason you removed the blockquote-indicators (the
> double colons) in the RST files?
>
> If not, I'll just apply it without those :)

Ah sorry, brain was not switched on, didn't actually realise that was
mark-up (hangs head in shame)

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 02/04/2014 09:09 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 02/04/2014 12:19 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com
>> <mailto:barwick@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     2014-02-04 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com
>>     <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>>:
>>     >
>>     > Hey,
>>     >
>>     > When we go to download PostgreSQL from the website we show ancient
>>     versions
>>     > first:
>>     >
>>     > http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/
>>     >
>>     > We should show the current versions first.
>>
>>     I get my source mainly from GIT these days, but now you mention it
>>     I've been
>>     annoyed by having to scroll down the growing list to find the latest
>>     versions,
>>     so +1 from me. I can put my keyboard where my mouth is if there's some
>>     coding needed to fix this.
>>

>> I know somebody was working on this before, but I can't actually
>> remember who it was :O
>>
>> I don't think I've seen a patch.
>>
>> Thus you are more than welcome to contribute :) git.postgresql.org
>> <http://git.postgresql.org>, project is "pgweb" :)
>
> hmm pretty sure I actually had a patch somewhere - not entirely sure I
> can find it again :)

while investigating an unrelated issue I actually found that code again
- I have now pushed a quick fix that should make the sorting much more
sensible, at least for the main postgresql sources...

Stefan

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Date:
> On 02/04/2014 09:09 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> On 02/04/2014 12:19 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:barwick@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     2014-02-04 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com
>>>     <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>>:
>>>     >
>>>     > Hey,
>>>     >
>>>     > When we go to download PostgreSQL from the website we show ancient
>>>     versions
>>>     > first:
>>>     >
>>>     > http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/
>>>     >
>>>     > We should show the current versions first.
>>>
>>>     I get my source mainly from GIT these days, but now you mention it
>>>     I've been
>>>     annoyed by having to scroll down the growing list to find the latest
>>>     versions,
>>>     so +1 from me. I can put my keyboard where my mouth is if there's some
>>>     coding needed to fix this.
>>>

>>> I know somebody was working on this before, but I can't actually
>>> remember who it was :O
>>>
>>> I don't think I've seen a patch.
>>>
>>> Thus you are more than welcome to contribute :) git.postgresql.org
>>> <http://git.postgresql.org>, project is "pgweb" :)
>>
>> hmm pretty sure I actually had a patch somewhere - not entirely sure I
>> can find it again :)
>
> while investigating an unrelated issue I actually found that code again
> - I have now pushed a quick fix that should make the sorting much more
> sensible, at least for the main postgresql sources...

Damn, I was actually half-way towards a solution, though it was taking
a bit longer than anticipated as I was learning Python as I was going along.
(btw until now I had absolutely no idea that the Pg website is Python/Django
based). Still, now I a) know some Python and b) have some idea of how to
work with the website code.

Anyway thanks for that, looks good :)

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 02/28/2014 03:09 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:

> Damn, I was actually half-way towards a solution, though it was taking
> a bit longer than anticipated as I was learning Python as I was going along.
> (btw until now I had absolutely no idea that the Pg website is Python/Django
> based). Still, now I a) know some Python and b) have some idea of how to
> work with the website code.
>
> Anyway thanks for that, looks good :)

Oh... I am sure we can find something else for you to do :)

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc
For my dreams of your image that blossoms   a rose in the deeps of my heart. - W.B. Yeats

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On 02/28/2014 03:09 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
>
>> Damn, I was actually half-way towards a solution, though it was taking
>> a bit longer than anticipated as I was learning Python as I was going
>> along.
>> (btw until now I had absolutely no idea that the Pg website is
>> Python/Django
>> based). Still, now I a) know some Python and b) have some idea of how to
>> work with the website code.
>>
>> Anyway thanks for that, looks good :)
>

> Oh... I am sure we can find something else for you to do :)

Do we have a TODO list for the website?

Robert Treat
conjecture: xzilla.net
consulting: omniti.com

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Mar 4, 2014, at 11:25 AM, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> On 02/28/2014 03:09 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
>>
>>> Damn, I was actually half-way towards a solution, though it was taking
>>> a bit longer than anticipated as I was learning Python as I was going
>>> along.
>>> (btw until now I had absolutely no idea that the Pg website is
>>> Python/Django
>>> based). Still, now I a) know some Python and b) have some idea of how to
>>> work with the website code.
>>>
>>> Anyway thanks for that, looks good :)
>>

>> Oh... I am sure we can find something else for you to do :)
>>

> Do we have a TODO list for the website?

Not publicly AFAIK - there are a handful of items in redmine.

Jonathan

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2014, at 11:25 AM, Robert Treat wrote:

>>> Oh... I am sure we can find something else for you to do :)
>>>

>> Do we have a TODO list for the website?
>
> Not publicly AFAIK - there are a handful of items in redmine.

Hmm, I looked in redmine, but I only see pgadmin stuff; permissions
issue? or maybe wrong url?

Robert Treat
conjecture: xzilla.net
consulting: omniti.com

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Mar 4, 2014, at 11:45 AM, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

>>> Do we have a TODO list for the website?
>>
>> Not publicly AFAIK - there are a handful of items in redmine.
>>

> Hmm, I looked in redmine, but I only see pgadmin stuff; permissions
> issue? or maybe wrong url?

Looks like access - Magnus, Dave or Stefan can fix.

Jonathan

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2014, at 11:45 AM, Robert Treat wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
>> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

>>> Not publicly AFAIK - there are a handful of items in redmine.
>>>

>> Hmm, I looked in redmine, but I only see pgadmin stuff; permissions
>> issue? or maybe wrong url?
>
> Looks like access - Magnus, Dave or Stefan can fix.

Done.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Bad sorting on source

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2014, at 11:45 AM, Robert Treat wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
>> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

>>> Not publicly AFAIK - there are a handful of items in redmine.
>>>

>> Hmm, I looked in redmine, but I only see pgadmin stuff; permissions
>> issue? or maybe wrong url?
>
> Looks like access - Magnus, Dave or Stefan can fix.

Done.

Oh, and FYI, the reason it's closed I believe that it's sometimes used for information about security issues, either in postgres or in the website itself. It's not to intentionally exclude people. So if we wanted an actual TODO list for it, sticking one of those on the wiki might be a good idea.

--

Date:
On Mar 4, 2014, at 12:23 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2014, at 11:45 AM, Robert Treat wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
>> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

>>> Not publicly AFAIK - there are a handful of items in redmine.
>>>

>> Hmm, I looked in redmine, but I only see pgadmin stuff; permissions
>> issue? or maybe wrong url?
>
> Looks like access - Magnus, Dave or Stefan can fix.

Done.

Oh, and FYI, the reason it's closed I believe that it's sometimes used for information about security issues, either in postgres or in the website itself. It's not to intentionally exclude people. So if we wanted an actual TODO list for it, sticking one of those on the wiki might be a good idea.

+1 it would not behoove us to collect some ideas there, anyway.

Jonathan