freecode.com

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
shows wrong postgresql version.
--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc
For my dreams of your image that blossoms   a rose in the deeps of my heart. - W.B. Yeats

Re: freecode.com

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 10/23/2013 09:41 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> shows wrong postgresql version.

Bouncing this over to -advocacy, where I think it belongs.

Does someone have the freecode.com login?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] freecode.com

From
"Marc G. Fournier"

Just checked, and it appears that both you and Bruce do, and:

==

operatic

Title: project listings maintainer

==

and

==

jfuerth

Title: Project listings maintainer

==

don't know whom they are …

Bouncing this over to -advocacy, where I think it belongs.

Does someone have the freecode.com login?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] freecode.com

From
Michael Alan Brewer

I have Freecode access? Odd... didn't turn up when I searched my mail. Huh!

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Date:
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 02:55:20PM -0700, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Just checked, and it appears that both you and Bruce do, and:

OK, I am logged in.  What should I do?

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] freecode.com

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
 Hi Bruce,

 On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 20:49:37 -0500, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
 wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 02:55:20PM -0700, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> Just checked, and it appears that both you and Bruce do, and:
>
> OK, I am logged in.  What should I do?

 For the records, I usually update Barman info on freecode. I could help
 maintaining information for Postgres on freecode, if you like. My
 account is angusgb. No obligation. ;)

 Ciao,
 Gabriele
--
  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia
  Gabriele.Bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it - www.2ndQuadrant.it

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] freecode.com

Date:
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 08:11:11AM +0100, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 20:49:37 -0500, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 02:55:20PM -0700, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >>
> >>Just checked, and it appears that both you and Bruce do, and:
> >
> >OK, I am logged in.  What should I do?
>
> For the records, I usually update Barman info on freecode. I could
> help maintaining information for Postgres on freecode, if you like.
> My account is angusgb. No obligation. ;)

OK, great.  I have added you with full rights.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] freecode.com

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
 Hi,

 On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 08:24:40 -0500, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
 wrote:
> OK, great.  I have added you with full rights.

 There are two options now:

 a) I insert the current stable versions (with today's date) for all
 maintained releases, plus 9.2.0 and 9.3.0
 b) I wait for the next minor version to come out

 I see pros and cons in both approaches, so I'd like to hear from you
 for advice.

 Thanks,
 Gabriele

--

Date:
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 03:03:19PM +0100, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 08:24:40 -0500, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> wrote:
> >OK, great.  I have added you with full rights.
>
> There are two options now:
>
> a) I insert the current stable versions (with today's date) for all
> maintained releases, plus 9.2.0 and 9.3.0
> b) I wait for the next minor version to come out
>
> I see pros and cons in both approaches, so I'd like to hear from you
> for advice.

Uh, either is fine.  Might as well put up the most recent version of
every branch.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] freecode.com

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 11/20/2013 03:09 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 03:03:19PM +0100, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 08:24:40 -0500, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
>> wrote:
>>> OK, great.  I have added you with full rights.
>>
>> There are two options now:
>>
>> a) I insert the current stable versions (with today's date) for all
>> maintained releases, plus 9.2.0 and 9.3.0
>> b) I wait for the next minor version to come out
>>
>> I see pros and cons in both approaches, so I'd like to hear from you
>> for advice.
>
> Uh, either is fine.  Might as well put up the most recent version of
> every branch.

honestly - I would strongly vote on removing postgresql completely from
freecode(and related sites), we seem to struggle to update references on
external sites for years and years now and I don't think we actually
gain a lot (if at all) from maintaining our presence there.

Stefan

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] freecode.com

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Stefan Kaltenbrunner (stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc) wrote:
> honestly - I would strongly vote on removing postgresql completely from
> freecode(and related sites), we seem to struggle to update references on
> external sites for years and years now and I don't think we actually
> gain a lot (if at all) from maintaining our presence there.

If that meant PG wouldn't actually show up on those sites, that'd be
fine, but that's not how it works.  *Someone else* will just end up
posting about us up there when they figure out we're not listed or
whatever, and then it'll end up in the same situation.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment

Date:
On 11/22/2013 08:01 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Stefan Kaltenbrunner (stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc) wrote:
>> honestly - I would strongly vote on removing postgresql completely from
>> freecode(and related sites), we seem to struggle to update references on
>> external sites for years and years now and I don't think we actually
>> gain a lot (if at all) from maintaining our presence there.
>
> If that meant PG wouldn't actually show up on those sites, that'd be
> fine, but that's not how it works.  *Someone else* will just end up
> posting about us up there when they figure out we're not listed or
> whatever, and then it'll end up in the same situation.

well - afaik we stopped maintaining our sourceforge entry and that one
was taken over by SF directly and is now a) always updated and b) not a
problem any more.

I consider that being a good thing if you look at the archives on -www
and -advocacy for that download^advertising platform.

Stefan

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] freecode.com

From
Marc Fournier
Date:
On Nov 22, 2013, at 11:00 , Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:

> On 11/22/2013 08:01 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> * Stefan Kaltenbrunner (stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc) wrote:
>>> honestly - I would strongly vote on removing postgresql completely from
>>> freecode(and related sites), we seem to struggle to update references on
>>> external sites for years and years now and I don't think we actually
>>> gain a lot (if at all) from maintaining our presence there.
>>
>> If that meant PG wouldn't actually show up on those sites, that'd be
>> fine, but that's not how it works.  *Someone else* will just end up
>> posting about us up there when they figure out we're not listed or
>> whatever, and then it'll end up in the same situation.
>
> well - afaik we stopped maintaining our sourceforge entry and that one
> was taken over by SF directly and is now a) always updated and b) not a
> problem any more.
>
> I consider that being a good thing if you look at the archives on -www
> and -advocacy for that download^advertising platform.

considering that there is a release checklist, starting from packaging straight though to press releases, why isn’t
thispart of that checklist in the first place?

it gets sporatically maintained because nobody thinks about it … make it part of the checklist of what needs to be done
atrelesae, and it will no longer be forgot …

Date:
* Stefan Kaltenbrunner (stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc) wrote:
> well - afaik we stopped maintaining our sourceforge entry and that one
> was taken over by SF directly and is now a) always updated and b) not a
> problem any more.

Well, sure, if SF maintains it directly, that's great.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Date:
On 11/22/2013 08:04 PM, Marc Fournier wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2013, at 11:00 , Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:

>>> If that meant PG wouldn't actually show up on those sites, that'd be
>>> fine, but that's not how it works.  *Someone else* will just end up
>>> posting about us up there when they figure out we're not listed or
>>> whatever, and then it'll end up in the same situation.
>>
>> well - afaik we stopped maintaining our sourceforge entry and that one
>> was taken over by SF directly and is now a) always updated and b) not a
>> problem any more.
>>
>> I consider that being a good thing if you look at the archives on -www
>> and -advocacy for that download^advertising platform.
>>

> considering that there is a release checklist, starting from packaging straight though to press releases, why isn’t
thispart of that checklist in the first place?

not sure - I think it even was on it once (for SF not sure about freecode)

> it gets sporatically maintained because nobody thinks about it … make it part of the checklist of what needs to be
doneat relesae, and it will no longer be forgot …

true - but my argument is that we should look into making already
involved stuff like releases _LESS_ complex and involved (and not
require anybody how does releases having random accounts on random
external sites unless absolutely required).
I by far dont see freecode "important" enough that we need to or should
care about it as part of our release workflow tbh.

Stefan