Training provider question: SkillsQuest

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW,

We've had a new training provider submit to PostgreSQL Events:
SkillsQuest.  Because some of the wording of their ad seemed fishy, I
checked for their website (to which they do NOT provide a link), and I'm
bothered by the fact that they don't have a training schedule anywhere
on the website.  You have to submit an email form and they will tell you
if they have a training or not.

This smells funny to me.  I'm not sure I should be approving their
training announcements.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Training provider question: SkillsQuest

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 14 February 2013 23:39, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> We've had a new training provider submit to PostgreSQL Events:
> SkillsQuest.  Because some of the wording of their ad seemed fishy, I
> checked for their website (to which they do NOT provide a link), and I'm
> bothered by the fact that they don't have a training schedule anywhere
> on the website.  You have to submit an email form and they will tell you
> if they have a training or not.
>
> This smells funny to me.  I'm not sure I should be approving their
> training announcements.

While its difficult to make hard rulings on such things, we should be
helping people that explicitly advertise PostgreSQL and not others.

I don't suppose other companies would allow training partners who
don't even list the product on their web site.

Re: Training provider question: SkillsQuest

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 02/14/2013 04:08 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:

> On 14 February 2013 23:39, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> We've had a new training provider submit to PostgreSQL Events:
>> SkillsQuest.  Because some of the wording of their ad seemed fishy, I
>> checked for their website (to which they do NOT provide a link), and I'm
>> bothered by the fact that they don't have a training schedule anywhere
>> on the website.  You have to submit an email form and they will tell you
>> if they have a training or not.
>>
>> This smells funny to me.  I'm not sure I should be approving their
>> training announcements.
>
> While its difficult to make hard rulings on such things, we should be
> helping people that explicitly advertise PostgreSQL and not others.
>
> I don't suppose other companies would allow training partners who
> don't even list the product on their web site.

In the past when we have had some funny or suspect listings we have
called the provider.

IMO, we need to just set some written rules about trainings that are
published and visibly obvious:

1. Must provide direct link to corporate website
2. Must provide direct link to training
3. Must provide contact phone number
4. Must provide direct link to schedule

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579

Date:
> IMO, we need to just set some written rules about trainings that are
> published and visibly obvious:
>
> 1. Must provide direct link to corporate website
> 2. Must provide direct link to training
> 3. Must provide contact phone number
> 4. Must provide direct link to schedule

I like these.  (4) also implies "must publish schedule on web".

Would any of the training providers we trust violate any of the above?

--

Date:
On 02/15/2013 10:37 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> IMO, we need to just set some written rules about trainings that are
>> published and visibly obvious:
>>
>> 1. Must provide direct link to corporate website
>> 2. Must provide direct link to training
>> 3. Must provide contact phone number
>> 4. Must provide direct link to schedule
>
> I like these.  (4) also implies "must publish schedule on web".
>
> Would any of the training providers we trust violate any of the above?

That I can't answer, Simon? EDB?

I know if we are going to provide a training we have no problem
following those.