Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> I noticed that while the development docs indent examples (for example
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-explain.html), the
> main docs don't
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-explain.html).

I believe this isn't so much a function of the docs themselves as the
webpage template they're being stuffed into on the latter site.
Probably pgsql-www is the place to complain about it.

> As you can see, the same page on the main docs doesn't scan well, and
> all the examples and paragraphs merge into a tangled mess.

Hm, both pages render acceptably for me in Safari --- it's true that the
examples aren't inset relative to the text on the main-docs site, but
I don't see anything "messed up" beyond that.  What browser are you
using?  Could you post a screenshot of what you see?

            regards, tom lane

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> On 23 August 2010 14:43, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hm, both pages render acceptably for me in Safari --- it's true that the
>> examples aren't inset relative to the text on the main-docs site, but
>> I don't see anything "messed up" beyond that. �What browser are you
>> using? �Could you post a screenshot of what you see?

> By "mess" I mean examples aren't sufficiently distinct from paragraph
> text.  There's nothing actually malformed.  It's more of a styling
> issue from my perspective.

Ah, I see.  It looks like you are using a monospaced font that is
visually very similar to your regular text font, and so with neither
a font difference or insetting, there's indeed not a lot to distinguish
example from text.  On my display the two fonts are a bit more visually
distinct so it's more readable.  (Checks preferences ... I've got Safari
set to Times 16 for "standard font" and Courier 13 for "fixed-width
font", though I'm not sure whether the PG docs pages make use of those
selections.)

Anyway, that was a red herring, and the question remains why the
examples are rendered without insetting on the main docs pages.
Was that intentional?  I can see that it might be because the text
is already inset from the window edge more than it is on the devel site,
and so insetting the examples even more might result in page width
problems.  Maybe the problem is not so much that we want to indent the
examples more as that the text needs to be indented less.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 16:33, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> On 23 August 2010 14:43, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Hm, both pages render acceptably for me in Safari --- it's true that the
>>> examples aren't inset relative to the text on the main-docs site, but
>>> I don't see anything "messed up" beyond that.  What browser are you
>>> using?  Could you post a screenshot of what you see?
>
>> By "mess" I mean examples aren't sufficiently distinct from paragraph
>> text.  There's nothing actually malformed.  It's more of a styling
>> issue from my perspective.
>
> Ah, I see.  It looks like you are using a monospaced font that is
> visually very similar to your regular text font, and so with neither
> a font difference or insetting, there's indeed not a lot to distinguish
> example from text.  On my display the two fonts are a bit more visually
> distinct so it's more readable.  (Checks preferences ... I've got Safari
> set to Times 16 for "standard font" and Courier 13 for "fixed-width
> font", though I'm not sure whether the PG docs pages make use of those
> selections.)
>
> Anyway, that was a red herring, and the question remains why the
> examples are rendered without insetting on the main docs pages.
> Was that intentional?  I can see that it might be because the text
> is already inset from the window edge more than it is on the devel site,
> and so insetting the examples even more might result in page width
> problems.  Maybe the problem is not so much that we want to indent the
> examples more as that the text needs to be indented less.

Not having dug into any details, but it seems that example is tagged
with CSS class PROGRAMLISTING - which isn't included anywhere in the
main site CSS. Whereas on the developer site, tehre is a rule for it
that gives margin-left: 4ex. Probably worth experimenting with that
one.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 23 August 2010 15:37, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 16:33, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>>
>>> By "mess" I mean examples aren't sufficiently distinct from paragraph
>>> text.  There's nothing actually malformed.  It's more of a styling
>>> issue from my perspective.
>>
>> Ah, I see.  It looks like you are using a monospaced font that is
>> visually very similar to your regular text font, and so with neither
>> a font difference or insetting, there's indeed not a lot to distinguish
>> example from text.  On my display the two fonts are a bit more visually
>> distinct so it's more readable.  (Checks preferences ... I've got Safari
>> set to Times 16 for "standard font" and Courier 13 for "fixed-width
>> font", though I'm not sure whether the PG docs pages make use of those
>> selections.)
>>
>> Anyway, that was a red herring, and the question remains why the
>> examples are rendered without insetting on the main docs pages.
>> Was that intentional?  I can see that it might be because the text
>> is already inset from the window edge more than it is on the devel site,
>> and so insetting the examples even more might result in page width
>> problems.  Maybe the problem is not so much that we want to indent the
>> examples more as that the text needs to be indented less.
>
> Not having dug into any details, but it seems that example is tagged
> with CSS class PROGRAMLISTING - which isn't included anywhere in the
> main site CSS. Whereas on the developer site, tehre is a rule for it
> that gives margin-left: 4ex. Probably worth experimenting with that
> one.

Yes the following style is present in the dev docs, but not the www docs:

pre.LITERALLAYOUT,
.SCREEN,
.SYNOPSIS,
.PROGRAMLISTING
{
    margin-left:4ex;
}

So as Peter said, the stylesheet in use isn't the same as the dev
version.  Importing that one style into the www docs, it looks fine.

--
Thom Brown
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 24 August 2010 15:44, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 24 August 2010 09:35, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

>>> Yes the following style is present in the dev docs, but not the www docs:
>>>
>>> pre.LITERALLAYOUT,
>>> .SCREEN,
>>> .SYNOPSIS,
>>> .PROGRAMLISTING
>>> {
>>>    margin-left:4ex;
>>> }
>>>
>>> So as Peter said, the stylesheet in use isn't the same as the dev
>>> version.  Importing that one style into the www docs, it looks fine.
>>>

>> Just as a quick test, I also tried out applying a style which clearly
>> defines these sections.  I attach an example of how this transforms
>> the page (and how it looks without any style changes).  Just an idea.
>>
>> The style applied here is:
>>
>> pre.LITERALLAYOUT,
>> .SCREEN,
>> .SYNOPSIS,
>> .PROGRAMLISTING
>> {
>>  margin: 0 4ex;
>>  padding: 2ex 4ex;
>>  border-left: 4px solid #008EBD;
>>  background-color: #E0ECEF;
>> }
>
> And this is possibly overkill, but the following CSS results in the
> attached screenshot:
>
> pre.LITERALLAYOUT,
> .SCREEN,
> .SYNOPSIS,
> .PROGRAMLISTING
> {
>  margin: 0 4ex;
>  padding: 2ex 4ex;
> }
>
> pre.LITERALLAYOUT,
> .SCREEN
> {
>  border-left: 4px solid #DFA60D;
>  background-color: #FFFCDF;
>
> }
>
> pre.SYNOPSIS
> {
>  border-left: 4px solid #AFAFAF;
>  background-color: #EFEFEF;
> }
>
> pre.PROGRAMLISTING
> {
>  border-left: 4px solid #008EBD;
>  background-color: #E0ECEF;
> }
>
> It makes a visual distinction between examples, definitions and actual
> terminal output.

And another prototype:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4927669444/sizes/o/

(not attached because the messages don't come through otherwise)

..(and this time really without the attachment)

--
Thom Brown
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

> And another prototype:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4927669444/sizes/o/

Wow!  That looks *really* slick!

That is much more readable than what I'm used to seeing!

-Kevin

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 17:51 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>
> > And another prototype:
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4927669444/sizes/o/
>
> Wow!  That looks *really* slick!
>
> That is much more readable than what I'm used to seeing!

Wait, what? Were going to have documentation that is representative of
someone who has designed a web page circa 2005? WOOT!

Seriously, +1. Very nice work.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 26/08/2010 01:29, Joshua D. Drake a écrit :
> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 17:51 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And another prototype:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4927669444/sizes/o/
>>
>> Wow!  That looks *really* slick!
>>
>> That is much more readable than what I'm used to seeing!
>
> Wait, what? Were going to have documentation that is representative of
> someone who has designed a web page circa 2005? WOOT!
>
> Seriously, +1. Very nice work.

Yeah, quite impressive. Would love to know how Thom did that. And if I
can borrow it for the french translation of the manual :)

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 26 August 2010 06:52, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 26/08/2010 01:29, Joshua D. Drake a écrit :

>>> Wow!  That looks *really* slick!
>>>
>>> That is much more readable than what I'm used to seeing!
>>
>> Wait, what? Were going to have documentation that is representative of
>> someone who has designed a web page circa 2005? WOOT!
>>
>> Seriously, +1. Very nice work.
>>

> Yeah, quite impressive. Would love to know how Thom did that. And if I
> can borrow it for the french translation of the manual :)

Thanks, although I'm worried it's a bit too distracting.  I got a bit
carried away as originally it was only to make the documentation more
readable, so if these changes make it less functional, it doesn't
really matter if it looks good or not.  It also happens to show up
mistakes in the documentation markup on some pages, so if any similar
sort of cosmetic changes were to take place, they may have to come
after fixes to the SGML.

But I've left the CSS additions in a comment on the Flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4927669444/

Just looked at the French documentation for the first time and it
shocked at how similar my changes are. :O  I wasn't aware the French
docs looked any different to the English ones.

--

Date:
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 09:03, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 26 August 2010 06:52, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> Wait, what? Were going to have documentation that is representative of
>>> someone who has designed a web page circa 2005? WOOT!
>>>
>>> Seriously, +1. Very nice work.
>>>

>> Yeah, quite impressive. Would love to know how Thom did that. And if I
>> can borrow it for the french translation of the manual :)
>
> Thanks, although I'm worried it's a bit too distracting.  I got a bit
> carried away as originally it was only to make the documentation more
> readable, so if these changes make it less functional, it doesn't
> really matter if it looks good or not.  It also happens to show up
> mistakes in the documentation markup on some pages, so if any similar
> sort of cosmetic changes were to take place, they may have to come
> after fixes to the SGML.
>
> But I've left the CSS additions in a comment on the Flickr page:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4927669444/
>
> Just looked at the French documentation for the first time and it
> shocked at how similar my changes are. :O  I wasn't aware the French
> docs looked any different to the English ones.

Thanks, Thom, this is great work.

And just FYI to everybody else, I've tried Thom into the task of
structuring our CSS a bit more, so that we can apply this without risk
;)

Thom - there you go, now it's public, there's no backing down now :P

--

Date:
On 26 August 2010 13:11, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 09:03, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, quite impressive. Would love to know how Thom did that. And if I
>>> can borrow it for the french translation of the manual :)
>>
>> Thanks, although I'm worried it's a bit too distracting.  I got a bit
>> carried away as originally it was only to make the documentation more
>> readable, so if these changes make it less functional, it doesn't
>> really matter if it looks good or not.  It also happens to show up
>> mistakes in the documentation markup on some pages, so if any similar
>> sort of cosmetic changes were to take place, they may have to come
>> after fixes to the SGML.
>>
>> But I've left the CSS additions in a comment on the Flickr page:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4927669444/
>>
>> Just looked at the French documentation for the first time and it
>> shocked at how similar my changes are. :O  I wasn't aware the French
>> docs looked any different to the English ones.
>
> Thanks, Thom, this is great work.
>
> And just FYI to everybody else, I've tried Thom into the task of
> structuring our CSS a bit more, so that we can apply this without risk
> ;)
>
> Thom - there you go, now it's public, there's no backing down now :P

Looks like the webkit rendering engine can't deal with rounded corners
neatly where the borders are different widths so got rid of the
left-hand border-width.

Did a little bit more today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4929208375/sizes/o/

And I get to play with stuff on Github which I'm new to :)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Date:
On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 17:28 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:

> Looks like the webkit rendering engine can't deal with rounded corners
> neatly where the borders are different widths so got rid of the
> left-hand border-width.

did you use --webkit-border-radius

Date:
On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 08:03 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:

> > Yeah, quite impressive. Would love to know how Thom did that. And if I
> > can borrow it for the french translation of the manual :)
>
> Thanks, although I'm worried it's a bit too distracting.  I got a bit
> carried away as originally it was only to make the documentation more
> readable, so if these changes make it less functional, it doesn't
> really matter if it looks good or not.

I would consider two things since we are talking documentation.

1. Drop the shadow
2. Keep the sizes consistent on the borders (notably the left side)

It is great for it to be aesthetically pleasing but if we have those
minor inconsistencies I think it would be distracting from the
information itself.

Otherwise, I think it is a bang up job.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
On 26 August 2010 18:03, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 08:03 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
>
>> > Yeah, quite impressive. Would love to know how Thom did that. And if I
>> > can borrow it for the french translation of the manual :)
>>
>> Thanks, although I'm worried it's a bit too distracting.  I got a bit
>> carried away as originally it was only to make the documentation more
>> readable, so if these changes make it less functional, it doesn't
>> really matter if it looks good or not.
>
> I would consider two things since we are talking documentation.
>
> 1. Drop the shadow

Okay.

> 2. Keep the sizes consistent on the borders (notably the left side)

All borders in the updated image are identical.

> It is great for it to be aesthetically pleasing but if we have those
> minor inconsistencies I think it would be distracting from the
> information itself.

Agreed, and it's sort of experimental at the moment.  If it doesn't
help present information better, it's useless really.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Date:
On 26 August 2010 18:00, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 17:28 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
>

>> Looks like the webkit rendering engine can't deal with rounded corners
>> neatly where the borders are different widths so got rid of the
>> left-hand border-width.
>
> did you use --webkit-border-radius

Yes, although that's not the issue.  It's where the width of two
perpendicular borders differ, the corner goes a bit weird in webkit
engines, so I just dropped the varying widths.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>> It is great for it to be aesthetically pleasing but if we have
>> those minor inconsistencies I think it would be distracting from
>> the information itself.
>
> Agreed, and it's sort of experimental at the moment.  If it
> doesn't help present information better, it's useless really.

I know this sort of thing gets pretty subjective, but having gone
back and looked at it a couple times...

(1)  I don't find the shadows distracting, but I can see where that
could be a factor for some -- if it distracts anybody, I won't miss
them too much.

(2)  The one thing I *do* find distracting is the wide separation in
the colors used for the different boxes (grey, yellow, blue, red).
I like the warning to stand out with red, but if the others were
somewhat more subtle differences, I think it would be less jarring
and distracting.  You know, enough that you can tell the difference
if you're looking for it, and enough to register subliminally, but
not enough to slap you upside the head.

Hmmm...  Does that qualify as bikeshedding?

-Kevin

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 26 August 2010 18:23, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>>> It is great for it to be aesthetically pleasing but if we have
>>> those minor inconsistencies I think it would be distracting from
>>> the information itself.
>>
>> Agreed, and it's sort of experimental at the moment.  If it
>> doesn't help present information better, it's useless really.
>
> I know this sort of thing gets pretty subjective, but having gone
> back and looked at it a couple times...
>
> (1)  I don't find the shadows distracting, but I can see where that
> could be a factor for some -- if it distracts anybody, I won't miss
> them too much.
>
> (2)  The one thing I *do* find distracting is the wide separation in
> the colors used for the different boxes (grey, yellow, blue, red).
> I like the warning to stand out with red, but if the others were
> somewhat more subtle differences, I think it would be less jarring
> and distracting.  You know, enough that you can tell the difference
> if you're looking for it, and enough to register subliminally, but
> not enough to slap you upside the head.

I agree with this too and I'll work on making sure things look more
consistent.  I'll just have to think about how to make the differences
clear without random splashes of colour on the page.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Date:
Thom Brown wrote:
> > Thom - there you go, now it's public, there's no backing down now :P
> >

> Looks like the webkit rendering engine can't deal with rounded corners
> neatly where the borders are different widths so got rid of the
> left-hand border-width.
>
> Did a little bit more today:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4929208375/sizes/o/
>
> And I get to play with stuff on Github which I'm new to :)

That really pumps up the appearance of our docs!

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 18:27 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:

> I agree with this too and I'll work on making sure things look more
> consistent.  I'll just have to think about how to make the differences
> clear without random splashes of colour on the page.

blues and greys are going to be easier on the eyes for a long read. The
red is obviously great.

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
On 26 August 2010 18:44, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 18:27 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
>
>> I agree with this too and I'll work on making sure things look more
>> consistent.  I'll just have to think about how to make the differences
>> clear without random splashes of colour on the page.
>
> blues and greys are going to be easier on the eyes for a long read. The
> red is obviously great.
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Okay, got rid of all the shadows, rounded corners etc and made some
other changes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4932396780/sizes/o/

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

> Okay, got rid of all the shadows, rounded corners etc and made
> some other changes:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4932396780/sizes/o/

I generally liked the rounded corners.  The tables near the front
are probably better off without them, but I would rather see rounded
corners on the rest.  I know someone said the shadows were
distracting, but I don't remember any complaints about the
corners.  Did I miss or forget something?

-Kevin

Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 10:46 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>
> > Okay, got rid of all the shadows, rounded corners etc and made
> > some other changes:
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4932396780/sizes/o/
>
> I generally liked the rounded corners.

As did I.

>   The tables near the front
> are probably better off without them, but I would rather see rounded
> corners on the rest.

+1

Also for a community that had ugly docs and recently spent a lot of time
making them pretty, take a look at python.

http://docs.python.org/using/cmdline.html#options-you-shouldn-t-use

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
On 27 August 2010 16:46, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, got rid of all the shadows, rounded corners etc and made
>> some other changes:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4932396780/sizes/o/
>
> I generally liked the rounded corners.  The tables near the front
> are probably better off without them, but I would rather see rounded
> corners on the rest.  I know someone said the shadows were
> distracting, but I don't remember any complaints about the
> corners.  Did I miss or forget something?

The reason I removed the corners is that they can't be applied to a
warning or caution box using their current markup (as the background
pushes beyond the rounded corner), and when they appear near a normal
rounded-corner box, it might look a bit inconsistent (same but with
rounded corners):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4931878975/sizes/o/

Hmmm.. although looking at it again, maybe it doesn't.  I dunno.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Date:
On 27 August 2010 17:10, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>
>> The reason I removed the corners is that they can't be applied to
>> a warning or caution box using their current markup (as the
>> background pushes beyond the rounded corner), and when they appear
>> near a normal rounded-corner box, it might look a bit inconsistent
>> (same but with rounded corners):
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4931878975/sizes/o/
>>
>> Hmmm.. although looking at it again, maybe it doesn't.  I dunno.
>
> That looks better to my eye -- square corners on a page with that
> many boxes for code start to look pretty harsh, to the point of
> being a bit jarring.  The round corners soften that for me, and make
> it easier to look at.  (I don't know how widespread that reaction
> is, though.)

Something I've noticed is an inconsistency in the SGML markup around
functions listed in tables.  Sometimes the entire function signature
is considered to be the function, and other times it's just the
function name, with its parameters outside of the <function> tags.

E.g.:

<function>variance</function>(<replaceable
class="parameter">expression</replaceable>)

vs

<function>stddev_samp(<replaceable
class="parameter">expression</replaceable>)</function>

Which way is correct?  It will make a big difference visually with
these changes.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Date:

Date:
On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 18:04 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:

> Something I've noticed is an inconsistency in the SGML markup around
> functions listed in tables.  Sometimes the entire function signature
> is considered to be the function, and other times it's just the
> function name, with its parameters outside of the <function> tags.
>
> E.g.:
>
> <function>variance</function>(<replaceable
> class="parameter">expression</replaceable>)
>
> vs
>
> <function>stddev_samp(<replaceable
> class="parameter">expression</replaceable>)</function>
>
> Which way is correct?  It will make a big difference visually with
> these changes.

That is actually a question for pgsql-docs.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor