Professional services (dead/odd link)

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
At the bottom of this page:
http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support

is a link to Open Source Experts:
http://www.opensourcexperts.com/Index/index_html/PostgreSQL/index.html

Not sure it is helpful & the links on the landing page are suspect.

--
Mike Ellsworth

Re: Professional services (dead/odd link)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 10/1/09 7:20 AM, Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> At the bottom of this page:
> http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support
>
> is a link to Open Source Experts:
> http://www.opensourcexperts.com/Index/index_html/PostgreSQL/index.html
>
> Not sure it is helpful & the links on the landing page are suspect.

Opensourcexperts site appears to be completely borked. Are they out of
business?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Professional services (dead/odd link)

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 10/1/09 7:20 AM, Mike Ellsworth wrote:
>> At the bottom of this page:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support
>>
>> is a link to Open Source Experts:
>> http://www.opensourcexperts.com/Index/index_html/PostgreSQL/index.html
>>
>> Not sure it is helpful & the links on the landing page are suspect.
>
> Opensourcexperts site appears to be completely borked. Are they out of
> business?

I doubt it, the problem is more...I hate to say "hilarious" when it's
causing them to look so bad, but for this list is kind of is.  Do "view
source" on one of the broken pages and you'll see something like this:

<!--
OperationalError
(1129, "Host 'saw2.nidelven-it.no' is blocked because of many connection
errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'")
<ul>
<li>  Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 92, in publish</li>
<li>  Module ZPublisher.BaseRequest, line 433, in traverse</li>
<li>  Module Products.mysqlUserFolder.mysqlUserFolder, line 694, in
validate</li>
<li>  Module Products.mysqlUserFolder.mysqlUserFolder, line 354, in
__check_connection</li>
<li>  Module Products.mysqlUserFolder.mysqlUserFolder, line 325, in
__connect</li>
<li>  Module Products.mysqlUserFolder.db, line 169, in connect</li>
<li>  Module MySQLdb, line 66, in Connect</li>
<li>  Module MySQLdb.connections, line 134, in __init__</li>
</ul>OperationalError: (1129, "Host 'saw2.nidelven-it.no' is blocked
because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'")
-->

What a strange default behavior MySQL has here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/blocked-host.html

I suspect the connection between the database and web server dropped for a
bit, and now it's blacklisted even if it's back up again.

Re: Professional services (dead/odd link)

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On 1 okt 2009, at 19.02, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> On 10/1/09 7:20 AM, Mike Ellsworth wrote:
>> At the bottom of this page:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support
>>
>> is a link to Open Source Experts:
>> http://www.opensourcexperts.com/Index/index_html/PostgreSQL/
>> index.html
>>
>> Not sure it is helpful & the links on the landing page are suspect.
>
> Opensourcexperts site appears to be completely borked. Are they out of
> business?

Any particular reason we link to them in the first place? There are
lots of 3rd party sites - and we normally avoid giving preference to
one, don't we?

/Magnus

Re: Professional services (dead/odd link)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Magnus,

> Any particular reason we link to them in the first place? There are lots
> of 3rd party sites - and we normally avoid giving preference to one,
> don't we?

Legacy.  OSXP was the first online job site to have a "PostgreSQL"
category, and at one time was working with us on syndicated listings at
postgresql.org (something we never completed).  Today, there isn't a
good reason; we'd be better to list as many job sites we know as have a
"PostgreSQL" category.

--Josh Berkus

Date:
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Magnus,
>
>> Any particular reason we link to them in the first place? There are lots
>> of 3rd party sites - and we normally avoid giving preference to one,
>> don't we?
>
> Legacy.  OSXP was the first online job site to have a "PostgreSQL"
> category, and at one time was working with us on syndicated listings at
> postgresql.org (something we never completed).  Today, there isn't a
> good reason; we'd be better to list as many job sites we know as have a
> "PostgreSQL" category.

Good idea.

--

Date:
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 21:09, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Magnus,
>
>> Any particular reason we link to them in the first place? There are lots
>> of 3rd party sites - and we normally avoid giving preference to one,
>> don't we?
>
> Legacy.  OSXP was the first online job site to have a "PostgreSQL"
> category, and at one time was working with us on syndicated listings at
> postgresql.org (something we never completed).  Today, there isn't a
> good reason; we'd be better to list as many job sites we know as have a
> "PostgreSQL" category.

Fair enough. For the time being I have removed the one we had there
now since it's broken, and we can always create a more complete list
later.