archiving binary releases

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: archiving binary releases

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
Marc,

> I'm going to clean out the binary archives, unless someone has a really
> compelling reason why we need to keep binaries from 7.0?  Or why we need to
> keep RC / Beta binaries?
>
> My thought was to keep the last version on each branch, up until what we
> officially support, and get rid of the 'interum releases' (ie. v8.3RC1) ...

I see one very, very compelling reason:
- crash on old machine running any of that releases. The installation
of PostgreSQL gets trashed by something (wild running virus i.e.)

To access the files within pg_data you need the binaries of that
version. In that stress situation (crash, virus, trashed program
files) you are not really eager to compile PostgreSQL.

So I recommend to keep those binaries. Storage is cheap.

Harald
--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: [CORE] archiving binary releases

Date:
"Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com> writes:
> Marc,
>> My thought was to keep the last version on each branch, up until what we
>> officially support, and get rid of the 'interum releases' (ie. v8.3RC1) ...

> I see one very, very compelling reason:
> - crash on old machine running any of that releases. The installation
> of PostgreSQL gets trashed by something (wild running virus i.e.)

> To access the files within pg_data you need the binaries of that
> version.

That's nonsense.  The last release in the series will do fine, and
forcing an update to the last point release wouldn't be a bad thing
anyway ;-).
        regards, tom lane

Re: [CORE] archiving binary releases

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

> > To access the files within pg_data you need the binaries of that
> > version.
>
> That's nonsense.  The last release in the series will do fine, and
> forcing an update to the last point release wouldn't be a bad thing
> anyway ;-).

+1

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL
Company,serving since 1997

Re: [CORE] archiving binary releases

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
Tom,

>> To access the files within pg_data you need the binaries of that
>> version.
> That's nonsense.  The last release in the series will do fine, and
> forcing an update to the last point release wouldn't be a bad thing
> anyway ;-).

Of course you are right; I was fearing that whole trees of binaries of
7.0.x, 7.1.x etc. are in danger of being killed.

And once I got bitten by the format change between 2 beta versions ...
guess that was 8.0beta1 and 2, that's why I fear for those RCx....

best wishes,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa