Re: [CORE] archiving binary releases - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [CORE] archiving binary releases
Date
Re: [CORE] archiving binary releases  ("Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-www
"Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com> writes:
> Marc,
>> My thought was to keep the last version on each branch, up until what we
>> officially support, and get rid of the 'interum releases' (ie. v8.3RC1) ...

> I see one very, very compelling reason:
> - crash on old machine running any of that releases. The installation
> of PostgreSQL gets trashed by something (wild running virus i.e.)

> To access the files within pg_data you need the binaries of that
> version.

That's nonsense.  The last release in the series will do fine, and
forcing an update to the last point release wouldn't be a bad thing
anyway ;-).
        regards, tom lane