Re: archiving binary releases - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Harald Armin Massa
Subject Re: archiving binary releases
Date
List pgsql-www
Marc,

> I'm going to clean out the binary archives, unless someone has a really
> compelling reason why we need to keep binaries from 7.0?  Or why we need to
> keep RC / Beta binaries?
>
> My thought was to keep the last version on each branch, up until what we
> officially support, and get rid of the 'interum releases' (ie. v8.3RC1) ...

I see one very, very compelling reason:
- crash on old machine running any of that releases. The installation
of PostgreSQL gets trashed by something (wild running virus i.e.)

To access the files within pg_data you need the binaries of that
version. In that stress situation (crash, virus, trashed program
files) you are not really eager to compile PostgreSQL.

So I recommend to keep those binaries. Storage is cheap.

Harald
--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare