Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

Date:
[ redirected to -www ]

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> - --On Saturday, April 05, 2008 03:37:08 +0100 Gregory Stark
> <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> It probably would be neat if the email footer thingy added a url to each email
>> it distributed via the lists pointing to the permanent message-id-based url in
>> the archives for that message. Then at least you would have that handy.

> Actually, I think it was Magnus that asked me about this (or similar) ... I can
> add either an X-header, or something in the body, that includes the Message-Id,
> as ppl desire it ...

What we need is a link into the archives.  At the moment the Message-ID
is useless for that.  Is it feasible to make links likehttp://archives.postgresql.org/message-id?id=something
work?  I'd be a bit worried about scalability myself...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

From
Magnus Hagander
Tom Lane wrote:
> [ redirected to -www ]
>
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> - --On Saturday, April 05, 2008 03:37:08 +0100 Gregory Stark
>> <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>> It probably would be neat if the email footer thingy added a url to each email
>>> it distributed via the lists pointing to the permanent message-id-based url in
>>> the archives for that message. Then at least you would have that handy.
>
>> Actually, I think it was Magnus that asked me about this (or similar) ... I can
>> add either an X-header, or something in the body, that includes the Message-Id,
>> as ppl desire it ...
>
> What we need is a link into the archives.  At the moment the Message-ID
> is useless for that.  Is it feasible to make links like
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id?id=something
> work?  I'd be a bit worried about scalability myself...

Once I clean up my code, we will be having an URL on
http://search.postgresql.org that does this. We already index things in
a postgresql database there, so it's the best place to stick it.

//Magnus

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

From
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:

> What we need is a link into the archives.  At the moment the Message-ID
> is useless for that.  Is it feasible to make links like
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id?id=something
> work?  I'd be a bit worried about scalability myself...

I think it is -- I've been doing some prep work for that in the recent
past; we're almost there.

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > What we need is a link into the archives.  At the moment the Message-ID
> > is useless for that.  Is it feasible to make links like
> >     http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id?id=something
> > work?  I'd be a bit worried about scalability myself...
>
> I think it is -- I've been doing some prep work for that in the recent
> past; we're almost there.

And Alvaro has dealt with scalability.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> - --On Saturday, April 05, 2008 09:32:45 +0200 Magnus Hagander
> <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> > Once I clean up my code, we will be having an URL on
> > http://search.postgresql.org that does this. We already index things in a
> > postgresql database there, so it's the best place to stick it.
>
> 'k, would it be useful to add something now, vs later, within the message
> itself?

I think we should have an email header contain the URL. Right now if I
want to add a URL to the TODO list, I have to wait for it to appear in
the archives to get a URL.

One idea would be to just search index the message-id email header, but
that only gives us the ability to get a one-email search result.  The
idea is that the URL would go right to the message.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

Date:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> 'k, would it be useful to add something now, vs later, within the message
>> itself?

> I think we should have an email header contain the URL.

I think you missed the point: once Magnus' CGI code is in, the message
ID gives you a permanent URL for it.

As far as I understand, there is simply no way for the current
year/month/message-number URL to be included in the messages,
because it doesn't get assigned until after the message is sent.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> 'k, would it be useful to add something now, vs later, within the message
> >> itself?
>
> > I think we should have an email header contain the URL.
>
> I think you missed the point: once Magnus' CGI code is in, the message
> ID gives you a permanent URL for it.

Right.  The question is are we going to supply a URL that embeds the
message-id as a new header or just allow people to construct the
permanent URL on their own?  Someone was talking about putting the
permanent URL in the email footer, but I think that is overkill.

> As far as I understand, there is simply no way for the current
> year/month/message-number URL to be included in the messages,
> because it doesn't get assigned until after the message is sent.

Right.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

From
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:

> As far as I understand, there is simply no way for the current
> year/month/message-number URL to be included in the messages,
> because it doesn't get assigned until after the message is sent.

Wrong -- we used to have it, but it was removed at some point (my guess
is that this happened when the List-* headers were added).  You can see
them if you download an old mbox, say
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/mbox/pgsql-bugs.2001-01.gz

there you have this header:

which you can translate to

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2001-01/msg00029.php

However!  Casual experimentation shows that it doesn't work all that
well -- Majordomo seems to have given the number 46 to these two
messages:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2001-01/msg00045.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2001-01/msg00046.php
and of course Mhonarc loses sync from there.

In any case, they're not useful because they're missing in at least a
year's worth of list traffic.

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I think it is -- I've been doing some prep work for that in the recent
> past; we're almost there.

Ok, we're one more step ahead -- things like
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1189170032.4175.513.camel@ebony.site
now work.  I haven't set up the automatic script to create them yet, and
there is a small problem with certain types of Message-Ids (I think
about 100 messages whose links won't work until I fix it, in the last 8
years of pgsql-hackers and pgsql-patches).  I have changed the URLs in
the wiki patch queue.

So far I have only run it in -patches and -hackers; the rest will follow
as soon as I fix the remaining glitches.

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > I think it is -- I've been doing some prep work for that in the recent
> > past; we're almost there.
>
> Ok, we're one more step ahead -- things like
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1189170032.4175.513.camel@ebony.site
> now work.  I haven't set up the automatic script to create them yet, and
> there is a small problem with certain types of Message-Ids (I think
> about 100 messages whose links won't work until I fix it, in the last 8
> years of pgsql-hackers and pgsql-patches).  I have changed the URLs in
> the wiki patch queue.
>
> So far I have only run it in -patches and -hackers; the rest will follow
> as soon as I fix the remaining glitches.

OK, I updated my permanent URL references.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: [HACKERS] Patch queue -> wiki

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> So you don't need any extra headers in the email itself for this?

I don't think so ... they would be a nicety in any case -- the URL can
be derived from the Message-Id header directly.

Archive email is not searchable

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > I think it is -- I've been doing some prep work for that in the recent
> > past; we're almost there.
>
> Ok, we're one more step ahead -- things like
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1189170032.4175.513.camel@ebony.site
> now work.  I haven't set up the automatic script to create them yet, and
> there is a small problem with certain types of Message-Ids (I think
> about 100 messages whose links won't work until I fix it, in the last 8
> years of pgsql-hackers and pgsql-patches).  I have changed the URLs in
> the wiki patch queue.
>
> So far I have only run it in -patches and -hackers; the rest will follow
> as soon as I fix the remaining glitches.

FYI, this email URL is failing:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/D9BA8B9B-A1CF-44E9-9F7A-B166875AEABB@apple.com

Because the email:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-03/msg00066.php

is not searchable via the archives:
http://search.postgresql.org/search?m=1&q=the+PID+inside+the+lockfile+and+trying+to+restart&l=&d=&s=

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Archive email is not searchable

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> FYI, this email URL is failing:
>
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/D9BA8B9B-A1CF-44E9-9F7A-B166875AEABB@apple.com

Ah -- thanks, fixed that problem; that particular email is now
retrievable via message-id.

> Because the email:
>
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-03/msg00066.php
>
> is not searchable via the archives:
>
>     http://search.postgresql.org/search?m=1&q=the+PID+inside+the+lockfile+and+trying+to+restart&l=&d=&s=

Actually the message-id stuff is not related to search at all, so if the
search is failing there must be another cause ... ah, got it, you have
to change the "post date" in order to get it:

http://search.postgresql.org/search?q=the+PID+inside+the+lockfile+and+trying+to+restart&m=1&l=&d=-1&s=r

Re: Archive email is not searchable

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > FYI, this email URL is failing:
> >
> >     http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/D9BA8B9B-A1CF-44E9-9F7A-B166875AEABB@apple.com
>
> Ah -- thanks, fixed that problem; that particular email is now
> retrievable via message-id.
>
> > Because the email:
> >
> >     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-03/msg00066.php
> >
> > is not searchable via the archives:
> >
> >     http://search.postgresql.org/search?m=1&q=the+PID+inside+the+lockfile+and+trying+to+restart&l=&d=&s=
>
> Actually the message-id stuff is not related to search at all, so if the
> search is failing there must be another cause ... ah, got it, you have
> to change the "post date" in order to get it:
>
> http://search.postgresql.org/search?q=the+PID+inside+the+lockfile+and+trying+to+restart&m=1&l=&d=-1&s=r

Oh, thanks.  It does work now.  Yea, I was confused by the search.