PostgreSQL documentation search engine for Firefox

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Hi guys,
  I thought it might be nice to share this with you. Given that I often
search for information in PostgreSQL documentation, I have decided to
add a search engine to my Firefox. I have used the old technology, when
I have more time I will try the new standard (through XML), which should
also work for IE7.
  Please give it a go:

http://www.itpug.org/index.en.html
  under Mozilla Search Engine.
  One thing. My friend Marco Nenciarini sent me this message regarding
the search engine: he searched for 'pg_shadow' and this link came up as
a recommendation, but it is broken:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/catalog-pg-shadow.html

Ciao,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini: Open source programmer and data architect
Current Location: Prato, Tuscany, Italy

Re: PostgreSQL documentation search engine for Firefox

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Gabriele Bartolini escribió:

>   One thing. My friend Marco Nenciarini sent me this message regarding the
> search engine: he searched for 'pg_shadow' and this link came up as a
> recommendation, but it is broken:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/catalog-pg-shadow.html

Wow -- why is it recommended?  pg_shadow stopped existing on 8.1, so
it's almost three releases out of date.  Is the search engine using the

Re: PostgreSQL documentation search engine for Firefox

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Gabriele Bartolini escribió:
>
>>   One thing. My friend Marco Nenciarini sent me this message regarding the
>> search engine: he searched for 'pg_shadow' and this link came up as a
>> recommendation, but it is broken:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/catalog-pg-shadow.html
>
> Wow -- why is it recommended?  pg_shadow stopped existing on 8.1, so
> it's almost three releases out of date.  Is the search engine using the

no I don't think so iirc the "recommended" stuff is actually coming from
the docbot search database (ie the database of the irc bot). The
websearch should be fully up2date but I'm not sure when the docbot
database was last synced ...

Stefan

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner escribió:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Gabriele Bartolini escribió:
>>
>>>   One thing. My friend Marco Nenciarini sent me this message regarding
>>> the search engine: he searched for 'pg_shadow' and this link came up as a
>>> recommendation, but it is broken:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/catalog-pg-shadow.html
>>
>> Wow -- why is it recommended?  pg_shadow stopped existing on 8.1, so
>> it's almost three releases out of date.  Is the search engine using the
>
> no I don't think so iirc the "recommended" stuff is actually coming from
> the docbot search database (ie the database of the irc bot). The websearch
> should be fully up2date but I'm not sure when the docbot database was last
> synced ...

Hmm, so somebody manually inserted items from the doc index into
docbot's database?  Hmm.  I do note that items are added as the
development version of the docs is updated, for example my recent
addition of "protocol" is already in.

Re: PostgreSQL documentation search engine for Firefox

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Gabriele Bartolini escribió:
>>
>>>   One thing. My friend Marco Nenciarini sent me this message
>>> regarding the search engine: he searched for 'pg_shadow' and this
>>> link came up as a recommendation, but it is broken:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/catalog-pg-shadow.html
>>
>> Wow -- why is it recommended?  pg_shadow stopped existing on 8.1, so
>> it's almost three releases out of date.  Is the search engine using the
>
> no I don't think so iirc the "recommended" stuff is actually coming from
> the docbot search database (ie the database of the irc bot). The
> websearch should be fully up2date but I'm not sure when the docbot
> database was last synced ...

Yup, that's correct.  And the fulltext stuff certainly seems to be doing
things right.

Rob - whatever happened to setting up a scheduled job to sync the docbot
stuff?

//Magnus

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner escribió:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> Wow -- why is it recommended?  pg_shadow stopped existing on 8.1, so
>>> it's almost three releases out of date.  Is the search engine using the
>> no I don't think so iirc the "recommended" stuff is actually coming from
>> the docbot search database (ie the database of the irc bot). The websearch
>> should be fully up2date but I'm not sure when the docbot database was last
>> synced ...
>
> Hmm, so somebody manually inserted items from the doc index into
> docbot's database?  Hmm.  I do note that items are added as the
> development version of the docs is updated, for example my recent
> addition of "protocol" is already in.

not sure I understand - but the docbot database is totally seperated
from the documentation search. The docbot database is basically the
database the IRC bot uses and is maintained independently from the other
search indexes. The live on is getting a lot of updates(though thois
particular omission just got fixed) on a regular base but I'm not so
sure how current the database the website uses is.

Stefan

Re: PostgreSQL documentation search engine for Firefox

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 15 January 2008 16:54, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> >> Wow -- why is it recommended?  pg_shadow stopped existing on 8.1, so
> >> it's almost three releases out of date.  Is the search engine using the

Understand that the recommendations are keyword based... ie if you search on
pg_shadow, it's quite likely you would want the above page.

> > no I don't think so iirc the "recommended" stuff is actually coming from
> > the docbot search database (ie the database of the irc bot). The
> > websearch should be fully up2date but I'm not sure when the docbot
> > database was last synced ...

not a question of sync issue... the bot on irc was still using that link as of
this afternoon (when I saw the initial post in this thread on advocacy and
then updated the irc bot)

> Yup, that's correct.  And the fulltext stuff certainly seems to be doing
> things right.
>
> Rob - whatever happened to setting up a scheduled job to sync the docbot
> stuff?

Let's pretend I was waiting for the move to the new server and the 8.3 updates
to get done. Now that we have it, I'll see what I can do to push that
forward.

--
Robert Treat

Date:
Robert Treat escribió:
> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 16:54, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> Understand that the recommendations are keyword based... ie if you search on
> pg_shadow, it's quite likely you would want the above page.

Well, not in this case -- I would want this other page perhaps

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/catalog-pg-shadow.html
or maybe
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/catalog-pg-shadow.html

but in 8.1 and later releases, that page no longer exists.

Re: PostgreSQL documentation search engine for Firefox

Date:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/catalog-pg-shadow.html

> Understand that the recommendations are keyword based... ie if you search on
> pg_shadow, it's quite likely you would want the above page.

No, these days you'd want

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/view-pg-shadow.html

since the cited URL is 404.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL documentation search engine for Firefox

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2008 schrieb Stefan Kaltenbrunner:
> not sure I understand - but the docbot database is totally seperated
> from the documentation search.

Perhaps they shouldn't be?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: PostgreSQL documentation search engine for Firefox

From
Petr Jelinek
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2008 schrieb Stefan Kaltenbrunner:
>> not sure I understand - but the docbot database is totally seperated
>> from the documentation search.
>
> Perhaps they shouldn't be?

You probably don't understand, docbot search is not something that is
generated automagically, it's administered by IRC community for IRC
community and because it proved to be useful thing, www team is using
its database for keyword search.

(btw somebody should commit my multiword fix already :)

--
Regards
Petr Jelinek (PJMODOS)