Split ftp distributions

Date:
Our snapshots are still split into multiple subpackages:
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/dev/

I assume there should be just one like we are doing with the main
downloads.  Or is this something we are just doing with betas and 8.3?
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.3beta3/

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Split ftp distributions

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Our snapshots are still split into multiple subpackages:
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/dev/
>
> I assume there should be just one like we are doing with the main
> downloads.  Or is this something we are just doing with betas and 8.3?
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.3beta3/
>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Would someone please fix this too.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Our snapshots are still split into multiple subpackages:
> >
> >     http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/dev/
> >
> > I assume there should be just one like we are doing with the main
> > downloads.  Or is this something we are just doing with betas and 8.3?
> >
> >     http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.3beta3/
> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>
> Would someone please fix this too.

Another issue.  Why am I having to go back and re-ask for things I
asked to be done months ago!

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Split ftp distributions

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Split ftp distributions

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:55:01 -0500 (EST)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Would someone please fix this too.
> >
> > Another issue.  Why am I having to go back and re-ask for things I
> > asked to be done months ago!
> >
> Because the project refuses to use a tracker?

You mean we need a tracker for web requests?

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Split ftp distributions

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Split ftp distributions

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:00:32 -0500 (EST)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> > > Because the project refuses to use a tracker?
> >
> > You mean we need a tracker for web requests?
>
> Well I meant it as a joke :). So let's not start a whole thing. There
> is actually a tracker for web requests, for things of a long term
> nature that are getting done. It is over at pmt and is used for
> sysadmins in general.
>
> On a serious note the reason I would assume that it is not done is that
> only one person knows how and it isn't myself, stefan, dave or magnus.

Well, then I propose we give more people power to do such things.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Split ftp distributions

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Split ftp distributions

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:08:06 -0500 (EST)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> > > On a serious note the reason I would assume that it is not done is
> > > that only one person knows how and it isn't myself, stefan, dave or
> > > magnus.
> >
> > Well, then I propose we give more people power to do such things.
>
> I don't think it is the power that is the problem. It is the utter
> lack of documentation. I know that a couple in the IN list above have
> the security clearance... but reverse engineering production systems
> based on zero knowledge of operation is not a fun or safe thing to do.

Well, what suggestion do you have?

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Split ftp distributions

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:55:01 -0500 (EST)
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> > > Another issue.  Why am I having to go back and re-ask for things I
> > > asked to be done months ago!
> > >
> > Because the project refuses to use a tracker?
>
> You mean we need a tracker for web requests?

He is pulling your leg.  The problem here is not the lack of tracker --
the problem is that Marc takes a long time to do stuff, and sometimes
forgets, and then he doesn't want to be part of the rest of the
administration team.  I have offered help on the things I can do, like
administering Majordomo.

Perhaps the problem _is_ the lack of a tracker, but since Marc is not
willing to answer to simple queries here, why would he feel more pressed
by a tracker?

Re: Split ftp distributions

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > > Because the project refuses to use a tracker?
> >
> > You mean we need a tracker for web requests?
>
> He is pulling your leg.  The problem here is not the lack of tracker --
> the problem is that Marc takes a long time to do stuff, and sometimes
> forgets, and then he doesn't want to be part of the rest of the
> administration team.  I have offered help on the things I can do, like
> administering Majordomo.

OK, I am thinking we need someone as foolish as me --- willing to jump
in and try things, ready to fail, but try again.  Our current system
isn't working so I support someone getting in there and giving it a try
--- over the long run the person will become capable and will document
what needs to be done.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Split ftp distributions

From