Please review tags, links in presskit ASAP

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW team,

I need to get the translators started by Monday.  After that,
corrections will become very hard to make.

Can someone (or several someones) review the links and tags for the
presskit and feature list for 8.3?  Punctuation/spelling corrections are
welcome too.

The files are available from pgfoundry Press project CVS, or at:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/2632/presskit.zip

Thanks!

--Josh Berkus

Re: Please review tags, links in presskit ASAP

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Ping!  It's been 24 hours ... will anyone have time to do this this
weekend?

> I need to get the translators started by Monday.  After that,
> corrections will become very hard to make.
>
> Can someone (or several someones) review the links and tags for the
> presskit and feature list for 8.3?  Punctuation/spelling corrections are
> welcome too.
>
> The files are available from pgfoundry Press project CVS, or at:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/2632/presskit.zip
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Josh Berkus

--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Please review tags, links in presskit ASAP

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Please review tags, links in presskit ASAP

From
Guillaume Smet
Date:
Josh,

Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Ping!  It's been 24 hours ... will anyone have time to do this this
> weekend?

Here is a first review of features83.html (I start reviewing the other
one, right now):

****
line 50: Alows "piggybacking" of large table scans by multiple users
->
Allows
****
line 74: SSPI on WIndows and GSSAPI on Unix and Linux
->
Windows
****
line 79: pgStandby
->
AFAIK, the real name is pg_standby.
****
line 91: <dt>Full Text Search;</dt>
->
no need for ;
****
line 92: This will both make TSearch easier
->
s/TSearch/TSearch2/?
You should perhaps add more details about what is TSearch2 (4-5 words
should be enough). I'm pretty sure a lot of people don't even know what
it is.
****
line 124: Many important features do not distribute with the PostgreSQL
core code
->
I find this sentence weird (I would have expected "are not distributed")
but perhaps it's just my english skills which are not at their best :)
****
line 126: <a href=https://developer.skype.com/
->
missing " after href=
****
line 132
->
missing " after the link in the a tag
****
line 136: pgPool
->
You're talking about pgPool-II, aren't you?
****

--
Guillaume

Date:
Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Ping!  It's been 24 hours ... will anyone have time to do this this
> weekend?

I'm currently reviewing it. I'll send my fixes in less than an hour.

--
Guillaume

Date:
Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Ping!  It's been 24 hours ... will anyone have time to do this this
> weekend?

And here are some fixes for the press kit file:

line 47: We're very exited about HOT
->
excited
****
line 49: pgPool2
->
Shouldn't we spell it pgPool-II?
****
line 53: download page.</a>
->
it's really a detail but the dot shouldn't be in the link
****
line 55: Learn more at on ...
->
missing word or my english missing something :)
same comment than above for the dot in the link
****
line 64: <a href="/about/press/features83>Full list of features</a>
->
Missing " at the end of the link
****
line 71: including Windows, Fedora Linux and Solaris
->
Why not RHEL? It's one of the most common platform for PostgreSQL IMHO
and we have RPMs for all flavours of it.
****
line 99: s/exited/excited/ as above.
****
line 114: <a href="http://projects.postgresql.org">pgFoundry</a>
->
This link is weird as every other link to pgFoundry is using pgfoundry.org.
****
line 126: missing " at the start of the pgBouncer link
****

--
Guillaume

Re: Please review tags, links in presskit ASAP

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guillaume,

Thanks for edits!  I'll work these in.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Date:
Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Thanks for edits!  I'll work these in.

I spent some more time to check all the links.

Apart from the missing " at the start and end of links I already
mentioned (which break the link and hide some content), I found the
following problems:

*** features83.html ***

- /about/featurematrix doesn't exist atm on the postgresql.org website.
Do you plan to add it before the release?
- PgBouncer link is
https://developer.skype.com/SkypeGarage/DbProjects/PgBouncer not
.../pgbouncer (note the case of PgBouncer)

pgFoundry seems to be down atm so I can't validate the links to the
projects hosted there.

*** presskit.html ***

- anchors at the top:
-> "Where to download" doesn't work: you called it "downloads" in the
anchor and "download" in the link. Moreover the quotes around the
downloads anchor don't seem to be regular quotes (they are a bit weird:
a name=”downloads”></a>)
-> "Documentation" doesn't work: there's no Documentation paragraph in
the document

- same comment as above for the feature matrix link
- the link to the release notes should be:
/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html to get directly to the 8.3 release notes
- the links to download the binary and source releases in the Downloads
paragraph are wrong. The "/downloads" part has nothing to do here
AFAICS. /ftp/source/v8.3/ and /ftp/binary/v8.3/ seem to be the good links
- same comment as above for the PgBouncer link (case problem)
- the links to the translated presskits are wrong. You should s/82/83/.

HTH

--
Guillaume