Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From
Dave Page
Date:
Not sure this is something we want on the homepage:

Hubert Lubaczewski: what pisses me off about postgresql
http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2007/10/28/what-pisses-me-off-about-postgresql/

Though I don't imagine we want to censor Hubert as he writes some
interesting and useful stuff.

Thoughts?

/D

Re: Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From
Magnus Hagander
Dave Page wrote:
> Not sure this is something we want on the homepage:
>
> Hubert Lubaczewski: what pisses me off about postgresql
> http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2007/10/28/what-pisses-me-off-about-postgresql/
>
> Though I don't imagine we want to censor Hubert as he writes some
> interesting and useful stuff.
>
> Thoughts?

I say leave it there. The article brings up very valid points. It is
among the "interesting and useful" stuff he writes. The title may be
less than ideal, but hey, it'll cause people to read it :-)

Just write a blog post of your own and this one will get kicked off the
frontpage RSN :-P

//Magnus

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Not sure this is something we want on the homepage:
>>
>> Hubert Lubaczewski: what pisses me off about postgresql
>> http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2007/10/28/what-pisses-me-off-about-postgresql/
>>
>> Though I don't imagine we want to censor Hubert as he writes some
>> interesting and useful stuff.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I say leave it there. The article brings up very valid points. It is
> among the "interesting and useful" stuff he writes. The title may be
> less than ideal, but hey, it'll cause people to read it :-)
>
> Just write a blog post of your own and this one will get kicked off the
> frontpage RSN :-P

I'm not referring to the content - I wouldn't want to suggest stopping
anyone making valid criticism. I'm referring to the language which is
almost certainly offensive to many.

Dave Page wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Dave Page wrote:
>>> Not sure this is something we want on the homepage:
>>>
>>> Hubert Lubaczewski: what pisses me off about postgresql
>>> http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2007/10/28/what-pisses-me-off-about-postgresql/
>>>
>>> Though I don't imagine we want to censor Hubert as he writes some
>>> interesting and useful stuff.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>> I say leave it there. The article brings up very valid points. It is
>> among the "interesting and useful" stuff he writes. The title may be
>> less than ideal, but hey, it'll cause people to read it :-)
>>
>> Just write a blog post of your own and this one will get kicked off the
>> frontpage RSN :-P
>
> I'm not referring to the content - I wouldn't want to suggest stopping
> anyone making valid criticism. I'm referring to the language which is
> almost certainly offensive to many.

Hmm. I obviously live in a very different society than you do, because I
don't know of anybody who'd be offended by "pissed of". There are a lot
of much worse ways of saying that that would offend people, but I don't
see this as one.

But that could be just me :-) My vote is still to keep it, but I
certainly understand that others can see it differently.

//Magnus

Re: Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From
Petr Jelinek
Dave Page wrote:> I'm not referring to the content - I wouldn't want to suggest stopping> anyone making valid
criticism.I'm referring to the language which is> almost certainly offensive to many.

I talked with depesz and he changed the title, I don't know if the
change will be propagated to planet automatically tho, if not then do it
manually, please.

--
Regards
Petr Jelinek (PJMODOS)

Re: Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:32:02 +0000
Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Not sure this is something we want on the homepage:
>
> Hubert Lubaczewski: what pisses me off about postgresql
> http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2007/10/28/what-pisses-me-off-about-postgresql/
>
> Though I don't imagine we want to censor Hubert as he writes some
> interesting and useful stuff.

By having syndicated content, we have two options, censor or accept.

We could certainly have a word filter (we just had this discussion on
gforge-admins) but I don't know that it is worth it. Perhaps a small
note to Hubert?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:54:03 +0100
Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> > I'm not referring to the content - I wouldn't want to suggest
> > stopping anyone making valid criticism. I'm referring to the
> > language which is almost certainly offensive to many.
>
> Hmm. I obviously live in a very different society than you do,
> because I don't know of anybody who'd be offended by "pissed of".

There are two sides to this:

1. Those who will be offended

There is definitely those who will find this offensive. It is
considered a bit of a swear word, albeit not nearly as much as others.

2. Those who will feel it is unprofessional.

I fall into #2 but I can sure as hell understand why PostgreSQL pisses
some people off and something you just want to shout about it.

> There are a lot of much worse ways of saying that that would offend
> people, but I don't see this as one.
>
> But that could be just me :-) My vote is still to keep it, but I
> certainly understand that others can see it differently.

What this comes down to is this, how "correct" do we want to be?
Personally I feel the following words we can probably let slide:

Damn
Hell
Piss/es ;)

There are certainly much worse words we could be publishing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> //Magnus
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 6: explain analyze is your
> friend

PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Date:
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:46:35AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> By having syndicated content, we have two options, censor or accept.
> We could certainly have a word filter (we just had this discussion on
> gforge-admins) but I don't know that it is worth it. Perhaps a small
> note to Hubert?

usually the note would not be neccessary as i read the lists, but today
i (and at least one more person from #postgresql) didn't get any emails
from lists for hours, so i just learned about the issue.

title changed.

planet is already up to date.

depesz

--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)

Re: Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:46:35AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> By having syndicated content, we have two options, censor or accept.

Right, and we already have a very frustrating current example of
people applying content rules to community resources.  So this comes
down to "accept or stop syndicating".  If this case is bad enough to
worry about, then let's stop syndicating.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca

Re: Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:50:24 +0100
hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:46:35AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > By having syndicated content, we have two options, censor or accept.
> > We could certainly have a word filter (we just had this discussion
> > on gforge-admins) but I don't know that it is worth it. Perhaps a
> > small note to Hubert?
>
> usually the note would not be neccessary as i read the lists, but
> today i (and at least one more person from #postgresql) didn't get
> any emails from lists for hours, so i just learned about the issue.
>
> title changed.
>
> planet is already up to date.
>
> depesz

Thanks for understanding Hubert, we really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> 2. Those who will feel it is unprofessional.
>
> I fall into #2 but I can sure as hell understand why PostgreSQL pisses
> some people off and something you just want to shout about it.

It is a community resource; an aggregation of individuals' weblogs.  It
doesn't _have_ to be "professional".

--
Alvaro Herrera                          Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
Y una voz del caos me habló y me dijo

Re: Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:12:10 -0300
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > 2. Those who will feel it is unprofessional.
> >
> > I fall into #2 but I can sure as hell understand why PostgreSQL
> > pisses some people off and something you just want to shout about
> > it.
>
> It is a community resource; an aggregation of individuals' weblogs.
> It doesn't _have_ to be "professional".

There is a modicum of professionalism that must be adhered to if you
want your content to appear on postgresql.org.

I agree that it isn't required for planet as a whole.

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Hmm. I obviously live in a very different society than you do, because I
> don't know of anybody who'd be offended by "pissed of". There are a lot
> of much worse ways of saying that that would offend people, but I don't
> see this as one.
>
> But that could be just me :-) My vote is still to keep it, but I
> certainly understand that others can see it differently.

Understood - it always amused me that the phrase would be used in US
sitcoms whilst other 'lesser' profanities would be avoided like the plague.

Date:
hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:46:35AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> By having syndicated content, we have two options, censor or accept.
>> We could certainly have a word filter (we just had this discussion on
>> gforge-admins) but I don't know that it is worth it. Perhaps a small
>> note to Hubert?
>
> usually the note would not be neccessary as i read the lists, but today
> i (and at least one more person from #postgresql) didn't get any emails
> from lists for hours, so i just learned about the issue.
>
> title changed.
>
> planet is already up to date.

Thanks - I appreciate it.

Regards, Dave.