Strange anoncvs sync behavior

Date:
Over an hour ago, Marc applied a "cvs tag" operation to the master CVS
repository.  I saw it immediately in local "cvs log" queries, but it
didn't propagate to anoncvs AFAICS, because the cvsweb server never
showed it.  After I applied a post-tag commit
(src/backend/optimizer/path/pathkeys.c a few minutes ago), the BETA2
tag showed up in cvsweb almost immediately.

This might have been some weird timing glitch, but what it looked like
to me was that the anoncvs update trigger doesn't recognize tag
operations.  Is that accurate?  Is it fixable?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Strange anoncvs sync behavior

From
Magnus Hagander
Tom Lane wrote:
> Over an hour ago, Marc applied a "cvs tag" operation to the master CVS
> repository.  I saw it immediately in local "cvs log" queries, but it
> didn't propagate to anoncvs AFAICS, because the cvsweb server never
> showed it.  After I applied a post-tag commit
> (src/backend/optimizer/path/pathkeys.c a few minutes ago), the BETA2
> tag showed up in cvsweb almost immediately.
>
> This might have been some weird timing glitch, but what it looked like
> to me was that the anoncvs update trigger doesn't recognize tag
> operations.  Is that accurate?  Is it fixable?

Yes, on both accounts.

Now that you mention it I see that actually sitting in my TODO queue -
it's pending the work that Marc was doing on the tagging scripts to deal
first with permissions and then with emails. I assume he's now either
done or buried the projects (IIRC the permissions part was buried since
we didn't really want it), but I forgot to bump it on my TODO. It's now
bumped, I'll make sure it happens.

//Magnus

Re: Strange anoncvs sync behavior

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> --On Saturday, October 27, 2007 09:27:26 +0200 Magnus Hagander
> <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
>>  work that Marc was doing on the tagging scripts to deal
>> first with permissions and then with emails.
>
> Pardon?

You were hacking on the tag/branch stuff only to allow "pgsql" to do
that, but then IIRC people spoke up and said they wanted it the other
way around - only personal accounts doing it. Or something like that.

//Magnus

Date:

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> --On Sunday, October 28, 2007 09:26:18 +0100 Magnus Hagander
> <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> --On Saturday, October 27, 2007 09:27:26 +0200 Magnus Hagander

>>> Pardon?
>> You were hacking on the tag/branch stuff only to allow "pgsql" to do
>> that, but then IIRC people spoke up and said they wanted it the other
>> way around - only personal accounts doing it. Or something like that.
>
> Nope, actually, the problem was that the codeI added didn't work ... the
> purpose was to prevent something like Michael Meskes accidentally running a tag
> command, which is what prompted it all .. or, rather, it was to be restricted
> to me alone vs pgsql ... shouldn't prevent doing the 'sync on tag' coding you
> need to do, but thansk for the reminder, I will re-diving into getting that
> restriction working properly ..

Ah, that's what I meant, really :-) At least in that being the reason
why I stopped looking at the other part, and then forgot about it.

//Magnus

Re: Strange anoncvs sync behavior

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Montag, 29. Oktober 2007 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> >> You were hacking on the tag/branch stuff only to allow "pgsql" to do
> >> that, but then IIRC people spoke up and said they wanted it the other
> >> way around - only personal accounts doing it. Or something like that.

> Ah, that's what I meant, really :-) At least in that being the reason
> why I stopped looking at the other part, and then forgot about it.

Would this have anything to do with this problem:

$ cvs update -rREL8_2_STABLE
cvs update: warning: cannot open /cvsroot/CVSROOT/val-tags read/write: Permission denied
cvs update: failed to create lock directory for `/cvsroot/pgsql' (/cvsroot/pgsql/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
cvs update: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/cvsroot/pgsql'
cvs [update aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

--
Peter Eisentraut

Date:
On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 01:59:04AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Over an hour ago, Marc applied a "cvs tag" operation to the master CVS
> repository.  I saw it immediately in local "cvs log" queries, but it
> didn't propagate to anoncvs AFAICS, because the cvsweb server never
> showed it.  After I applied a post-tag commit
> (src/backend/optimizer/path/pathkeys.c a few minutes ago), the BETA2
> tag showed up in cvsweb almost immediately.
>
> This might have been some weird timing glitch, but what it looked like
> to me was that the anoncvs update trigger doesn't recognize tag
> operations.  Is that accurate?  Is it fixable?

Sorry for the wait, hopefully this is now done. cvs tag operation should now
trigger a repository replication the same way a cvs commit does. (I copied
the code over..)

//Magnus