PostgreSQL web site

From
Naz Gassiep
Date:
Just a suggestion, why don't the web admins turn mod_gzip on? There are
no downsides, and it would likely make a fairly large impact on
bandwidth bills. Think of all the people browsing the PG documentation
(myself included). Not only would bandwidth bills go down,
responsiveness on the docs would be higher as well.

Even if there is no bandwidth saving (if your b/w is free for instance),
I'm of the opinion that mod_gzip and mod_deflate should be used unless
there is a compelling reason not to.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I thought it was worth
mentioning on the off chance it hadn't.

- Naz.

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Naz Gassiep wrote:
> Just a suggestion, why don't the web admins turn mod_gzip on? There are
> no downsides, and it would likely make a fairly large impact on
> bandwidth bills. Think of all the people browsing the PG documentation
> (myself included). Not only would bandwidth bills go down,
> responsiveness on the docs would be higher as well.
>
> Even if there is no bandwidth saving (if your b/w is free for instance),
> I'm of the opinion that mod_gzip and mod_deflate should be used unless
> there is a compelling reason not to.
>
> Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I thought it was worth
> mentioning on the off chance it hadn't.

Actually that is a very good question... why are we not using mod_deflate?

Joshua D. Drake

> - Naz.

>       match

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > Just a suggestion, why don't the web admins turn mod_gzip on? There
> > are no downsides, and it would likely make a fairly large impact on
> > bandwidth bills. Think of all the people browsing the PG
> documentation
> > (myself included). Not only would bandwidth bills go down,
> > responsiveness on the docs would be higher as well.
> >
> > Even if there is no bandwidth saving (if your b/w is free for
> > instance), I'm of the opinion that mod_gzip and mod_deflate
> should be
> > used unless there is a compelling reason not to.
> >
> > Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I thought it was worth
> > mentioning on the off chance it hadn't.
>
> Actually that is a very good question... why are we not using
> mod_deflate?

Good question. It's definitly worth investigating. It does add load to
the server, but not all that much. And if we have the space (need to
check that on some of the boxen) we could set up pre-compressed static
images and that argument would go away..

//Magnus

Re: PostgreSQL web site

Date:
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>> Actually that is a very good question... why are we not using
>> mod_deflate?

> Good question. It's definitly worth investigating.

What are we talking about here --- some hack to make users' web browsers
decompress pages on-the-fly?  How much does that slow down the browsing
experience, if you've got an old slow PC?  (I can believe that if you've
got a fast PC and a slow internet connection, it could make things
faster overall ... but the breakeven point is not obvious.)  What are
the odds that people using older browsers will be locked out entirely?

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Also,

I'd like to see PDA version of web site and archives. Current design
is very inconvenient.

     Oleg
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Just a suggestion, why don't the web admins turn mod_gzip on? There
>>> are no downsides, and it would likely make a fairly large impact on
>>> bandwidth bills. Think of all the people browsing the PG
>> documentation
>>> (myself included). Not only would bandwidth bills go down,
>>> responsiveness on the docs would be higher as well.
>>>
>>> Even if there is no bandwidth saving (if your b/w is free for
>>> instance), I'm of the opinion that mod_gzip and mod_deflate
>> should be
>>> used unless there is a compelling reason not to.
>>>
>>> Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I thought it was worth
>>> mentioning on the off chance it hadn't.
>>
>> Actually that is a very good question... why are we not using
>> mod_deflate?
>
> Good question. It's definitly worth investigating. It does add load to
> the server, but not all that much. And if we have the space (need to
> check that on some of the boxen) we could set up pre-compressed static
> images and that argument would go away..
>
> //Magnus

         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
Naz Gassiep
Date:
<pre wrap="">
</pre><blockquote cite="mid15501.1156790439@sss.pgh.pa.us" type="cite"><pre wrap="">
What are we talking about here --- some hack to make users' web browsers
decompress pages on-the-fly?  How much does that slow down the browsing
experience, if you've got an old slow PC?  (I can believe that if you've
got a fast PC and a slow internet connection, it could make things
faster overall ... but the breakeven point is not obvious.)  What are
the odds that people using older browsers will be locked out entirely?
        regards, tom lane</pre></blockquote> I have been using mod_deflate for years on my web server, and have yet to
notice_any_ difference on even very old hardware. Furthermore, the additional load to the server is quite small.<br
/><br/> If you are concerned about widespread impact on users, consider that slashdot and google are both

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
Naz Gassiep
Date:

What are we talking about here --- some hack to make users' web browsers
decompress pages on-the-fly?  How much does that slow down the browsing
experience, if you've got an old slow PC?  (I can believe that if you've
got a fast PC and a slow internet connection, it could make things
faster overall ... but the breakeven point is not obvious.)  What are
the odds that people using older browsers will be locked out entirely?
        regards, tom lane
 </pre></blockquote> Oh, and there is no chance that older browsers are locked out, mod_deflate and mod_gzip (gzip is
theapache 1.3 module, deflate is for apache 2) both only compress if they find that the browser supports it. That being

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >> Actually that is a very good question... why are we not using
> >> mod_deflate?
>
> > Good question. It's definitly worth investigating.
>
> What are we talking about here --- some hack to make users'
> web browsers decompress pages on-the-fly?
Yes.

> How much does that
> slow down the browsing experience, if you've got an old slow
> PC?  (I can believe that if you've got a fast PC and a slow
> internet connection, it could make things faster overall ...
> but the breakeven point is not obvious.)

In most cases it's faster or unnoticably slower. At the speed your
machine would have to be to notice the problem, I don't think you can
load a modern-enough browser to actually look at the site.

> What are the odds
> that people using older browsers will be locked out entirely?

They should be zero, if you use mod_deflate.
The browser sends an Accept-encoding: deflate (or similar, I'm not 100%
on the name of the header, and too lazy to look it up). If this is not
present in the request, an uncompressed version of the page is sent back
to the browser.

//Magnus

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
Naz Gassiep
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Good question. It's definitly worth investigating. It does add load to
> the server, but not all that much. And if we have the space (need to
> check that on some of the boxen) we could set up pre-compressed static
> images and that argument would go away..
>
> //Magnus

I generally only compress HTML and other text formats ignoring images,
PDFs and other binary data. I would think this would have a huge impact
on the PG site, which would deliver a lot of text serving documentation
Regards,
- Naz

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Good question. It's definitly worth investigating. It does add load to
> the server, but not all that much. And if we have the space (need to
> check that on some of the boxen) we could set up pre-compressed static
> images and that argument would go away..

we can configure deflate so that it only compresses the html not the images.

Joshua D. Drake

> //Magnus

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>>> Actually that is a very good question... why are we not using
>>> mod_deflate?
>
>> Good question. It's definitly worth investigating.
>
> What are we talking about here --- some hack to make users' web browsers
> decompress pages on-the-fly?

No it is not a hack. With HTTP1.1 browers have the ability to compress
and decompress on the fly. This is done in the negotiation between

 > How much does that slow down the browsing
> experience, if you've got an old slow PC?

Well good question. How slow are we talking? If we are talking a AMD 300
people are likely not using broadband and it wouldn't matter anyway
because either way they are use to slow.

>  (I can believe that if you've
> got a fast PC and a slow internet connection, it could make things
> faster overall ... but the breakeven point is not obvious.)  What are
> the odds that people using older browsers will be locked out entirely?

None. Because it will fall back to 1.0 if your browser doesn't support
it. The browser will negotiate with the web server to determine the best
route to retrieve the data.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Also,
>
> I'd like to see PDA version of web site and archives. Current design is
> very inconvenient.

Egad... what a pain. Please feel free to work one up for us, but a PDA
version is pretty much a pain in the arse for little benefit.

Sincerely,

Josuha D. Drake

>     Oleg

>>> documentation

>>> should be

>>> Actually that is a very good question... why are we not using
>>> mod_deflate?
>>
>> Good question. It's definitly worth investigating. It does add load to
>> the server, but not all that much. And if we have the space (need to
>> check that on some of the boxen) we could set up pre-compressed static
>> images and that argument would go away..
>>
>> //Magnus

>> TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>>

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

>       match

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"John Hansen"
Date:
Joshua D. Drake Wrote

> we can configure deflate so that it only compresses the html
> not the images.

I think he meant, pre compressed html pages.

Eg,:

index.html
index.html.gz

etc...

... John

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
Naz Gassiep
Date:
type="cite"><prewrap="">Joshua D. Drake Wrote

I think he meant, pre compressed html pages.

Eg,:

index.html
index.html.gz

etc...
 </pre></blockquote> Oh, thats a bad idea, I think, as it would hugely increase the maintenance work on the site, for a
marginalgain in server performance. The load increase really is minimal. If our servers are so close to breaking point

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"John Hansen"
Tom Lane Wrote:
>"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>>> Actually that is a very good question... why are we not using
>>> mod_deflate?
>
>> Good question. It's definitly worth investigating.
>
> What are we talking about here --- some hack to make users' web browsers decompress pages on-the-fly?  How much >
doesthat slow down the browsing experience, if you've got an old slow PC?  (I can believe that if you've got a > fast
PCand a slow internet connection, it could make things faster overall ... but the breakeven point is not
> obvious.)  What are the odds that people using older browsers will be locked out entirely?

Documents are only compressed if the browser requests one, so nobody would get locked out.
And for the odd users with a slow PC, they would probably already have cofigured their browser so it doesn't request
compresseddocuments.

Kind Regards,

John

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> index.html
>> index.html.gz
>>
>> etc...
>>

> Oh, thats a bad idea, I think, as it would hugely increase the maintenance work
> on the site, for a marginal gain in server performance. The load increase really
> is minimal. If our servers are so close to breaking point that this is an issue
> then we'll need new ones very soon anyway.

Yeah... no. Mod_deflate will allow auto-negotiation so that the
information can be dealt with either way. No reason to increase the
workload.

> Regards,
> - Naz

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL web site

Date:
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>> What are the odds
>> that people using older browsers will be locked out entirely?

> They should be zero, if you use mod_deflate.
> The browser sends an Accept-encoding: deflate (or similar, I'm not 100%
> on the name of the header, and too lazy to look it up). If this is not
> present in the request, an uncompressed version of the page is sent back
> to the browser.

Got it.  Thanks for the explanation.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >> index.html
> >> index.html.gz
> >>
> >> etc...
> >>

> > Oh, thats a bad idea, I think, as it would hugely increase the
> > maintenance work on the site, for a marginal gain in server
> > performance. The load increase really is minimal. If our
> servers are
> > so close to breaking point that this is an issue then we'll
> need new ones very soon anyway.
>
> Yeah... no. Mod_deflate will allow auto-negotiation so that
> the information can be dealt with either way. No reason to
> increase the workload.

We're nowhere near the load that our static servers can deliver. Even
during release time, when it increases sometimes hundredfold.
That doesn't mean we shouldn't optimize when we can do so at trivial
cost, though.

//Magnus

Re: PostgreSQL web site

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> We're nowhere near the load that our static servers can deliver. Even
> during release time, when it increases sometimes hundredfold.
> That doesn't mean we shouldn't optimize when we can do so at trivial
> cost, though.

Well more specifically, this will be a great boon for lowering bandwidth
requirements on both sides of the content delivery.

Joshua D. Drake

> //Magnus

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL web site