Have translators, will web ...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW Folks,

I have some fairly enthusiastic translators now.   After the release, I
could easily turn some of them on to the web site, if someone could hand
them a HOWTO that clearly explains the web translation process for people
without HTML skills.  Is there one?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Have translators, will web ...

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> WWW Folks,
>
> I have some fairly enthusiastic translators now.   After the
> release, I
> could easily turn some of them on to the web site, if someone
> could hand them a HOWTO that clearly explains the web
> translation process for people without HTML skills.  Is there one?

The README file pretty much only says:

"Preparing and adding a new translation

There are two tasks in translating the site to a new language:
1) Preparing gettext translation for dynamic templates and PHP scripts.
2) Translating the static pages.

Finally, one has to edit system/global/languages.php and add a new
language entry to the array[s] within. After the language is made known
to the website, there is a new task:

3) Translating the content stored in database (done via admin/
scripts)."

1) is handled using normal .po files stored in the po subdirectory in
cvs.
2) is handled by taking a copy of the files in the template/en directory
one by one into template/<newlang> and just translating the contents.
3) is a web interface, just needs a login

A question to others though: do we have a way to track which
translations are updated? It should preferrably show on the page when
the english page has been changed since the translation.

It may already do this, since there is pretty much no translation up, if
so just let me know please :-) If not, we should probably consider
adding it. Anybody know? (goes for all points 1,2 and 3 above)

//Magnus

Re: Have translators, will web ...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Magnus,

> A question to others though: do we have a way to track which
> translations are updated? It should preferrably show on the page when
> the english page has been changed since the translation.

I think without a way to track what's done and what needs to be done, we
really can't turn volunteers loose on this.  We also need some *clear*
instructions that don't depend on people understanding how web directories
work, HTML, or what .po files are.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: Have translators, will web ...

From
"Dave Page"

Translators need to know what po files are otherwise they're not going
to get anywhere (and before you suggest it, rewriting poedit as a web
app really isn't an option :-p ).

Regards, Dave.

Setting up a local version of the postgresql website

From
Adrian Maier
Date:
Hello guys,

After checking out the pgweb/portal directory from gborg,
and i'm trying to set up a local postgresql site so that
i could finish translating it to Romanian.

I had done this in March, when i had translated most of
the static pages. In the meantime i moved to another
workstation, and i have to configure everything again.

Where could i find a copy of the database dump ?

Cheers,
Adrian Maier

Setting up a local version of the postgresql website

From
Adrian Maier
Date:
(this is a re-posting)

Hello guys,

After checking out the pgweb/portal directory from gborg,
and i'm trying to set up a local postgresql site so that
i could finish translating it to Romanian.

I had done this in March, when i had translated most of
the static pages. In the meantime i moved to another
workstation, and i have to configure everything again.

Where could i find a copy of the database dump ?

By the way:
Right now www.postgresql.ro is hosted on svr2.postgresql.org and
momentarily i've put there only an index.html which redirects to
www.postgresql.org.

But, it appears like the dns record for www.postgresql.ro
points to 200.46.204.209 instead of 65.19.161.25 (svr2).
As a result, if someone opens http://www.postgresql.ro in a
browser the page that appears is the old version of the advocacy
site.
The domain is hosted on the hub.org's dns server(s). Could we
fix the IP address of www.postgresql.ro, please ?  :-)

Cheers,
Adrian Maier

Re: Setting up a local version of the postgresql website

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 02:21, Adrian Maier wrote:
> (this is a re-posting)
>
> Hello guys,
>
> After checking out the pgweb/portal directory from gborg,
> and i'm trying to set up a local postgresql site so that
> i could finish translating it to Romanian.
>
> I had done this in March, when i had translated most of
> the static pages. In the meantime i moved to another
> workstation, and i have to configure everything again.
>
> Where could i find a copy of the database dump ?

Dave, weren't you the one who made dumps available some place? I can't
seem to find the url. Actually I am wondering if it would just be easier
to make Adrian an account on svr2 so he could work directly from there.

> By the way:
> Right now www.postgresql.ro is hosted on svr2.postgresql.org and
> momentarily i've put there only an index.html which redirects to
> www.postgresql.org.
>
> But, it appears like the dns record for www.postgresql.ro
> points to 200.46.204.209 instead of 65.19.161.25 (svr2).
> As a result, if someone opens http://www.postgresql.ro in a
> browser the page that appears is the old version of the advocacy
> site.
> The domain is hosted on the hub.org's dns server(s). Could we
> fix the IP address of www.postgresql.ro, please ?  :-)

wow, i didnt even know you could get to that old site anymore. Marc, I
guess this is your domain to change?

Robert Treat

On 27/10/05 2:29 pm, "Robert Treat" <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 02:21, Adrian Maier wrote:
>> (this is a re-posting)
>>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> After checking out the pgweb/portal directory from gborg,
>> and i'm trying to set up a local postgresql site so that
>> i could finish translating it to Romanian.
>>
>> I had done this in March, when i had translated most of
>> the static pages. In the meantime i moved to another
>> workstation, and i have to configure everything again.
>>
>> Where could i find a copy of the database dump ?
>>

> Dave, weren't you the one who made dumps available some place? I can't
> seem to find the url. Actually I am wondering if it would just be easier
> to make Adrian an account on svr2 so he could work directly from there.

Yeah, but only temporarily. They contain IP addresses that could identify
users, so it's not something we make public. I'll sort out a copy for Adrian
at some point, though it might not be for a few days as I'm larging it up
(UK expression) in Tokyo with Hiroshi, Magnus and Andreas ATM :-)

Regards, Dave