User survey suggestion: add CVS as a choice

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
Regarding the user survey "Where did you get your current production
copy of PostgreSQL from?" I'd like to suggest adding CVS as a choice.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: User survey suggestion: add CVS as a choice

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Date:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:24:35PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > Regarding the user survey "Where did you get your current production
> > copy of PostgreSQL from?" I'd like to suggest adding CVS as a choice.
>
> Yikes! Perhaps you overlooked the all-important "production" word of
> the question? :) Unless you are using cvs with specifically tagged releases.

No, I didn't overlook the word "production," although I anticipated
that somebody might think so.  CVS doesn't necessarily imply HEAD:
I was indeed thinking of people who track tagged releases.

> In either case, I think the handful of people who use cvs rule it out
> as an answer, IMO.

Is CVS usage really that low?  I don't know, not having seen any
activity logs.

--

Date:
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:24:35PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>> In either case, I think the handful of people who use cvs rule it out
>> as an answer, IMO.

> Is CVS usage really that low?  I don't know, not having seen any
> activity logs.

... and we'll never find out, if we take surveys that exclude the
possibility.

I concur with Michael that pulling the head of a release branch might be
a perfectly sane way to build a production installation.  What if you
need a bug fix that's in CVS but not yet appeared in any dot-release?

            regards, tom lane

Date:

Date:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 03:14:35PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> >> In either case, I think the handful of people who use cvs rule it out
> >> as an answer, IMO.
>
> > Is CVS usage really that low?  I don't know, not having seen any
> > activity logs.
>
> Don't know. I'm just guessing based on the approximate number of posters
> to hackers and patches. I guess it can't hurt to add it, but I still
> think it will be an outlier. Personally, I prefer to use the tarballs
> so that I can help spot any bugs that may have been introduced in the
> packaging process.

So that's one data point.  Shouldn't conclusions about the population
in general be based on survey results instead of on a priori assumptions?
Otherwise what's the point of the survey?

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: User survey suggestion: add CVS as a choice

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
BTW, shouldn't we at least have a link to the survey on the front page,
if not the survey itself?

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 12:24:56AM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> Regarding the user survey "Where did you get your current production
> copy of PostgreSQL from?" I'd like to suggest adding CVS as a choice.
>
> --
> Michael Fuhr

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: User survey suggestion: add CVS as a choice

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 10 October 2005 20:31, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> BTW, shouldn't we at least have a link to the survey on the front page,
> if not the survey itself?

When we did the site redesign last year, it got nixed from the front page. If
you have a perticular spot you'd like to put the link lmk and we can try it.

--
Robert Treat