Re: [webmaster] Opening links in new windows is irritating

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

http://search.postgresql.org/www.search?ul=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.postgresql.org%2Fdocs%2F8.0%2Fstatic%2F%25&q=delete+from

>>> I agree, but others don't, it seems.
>>
>> I love the website apart from this.
>>
>> Who disagrees?
>>
>> Note in particular that this behaviour differs from every other open
>> source documentation site I use -- PHP, Python, MySQL.
>
> Uh, I think Marc disagrees.  Anyone else?

The reason it was setup like that was so that you looked at the 'message'
from the search results in a seperate window, while still maintaining the
search results themselves ...

If I'm the only one that finds this convienent, its a 2 second job to
remove the TARGET tag ...

----

Re: [webmaster] Opening links in new windows is irritating

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Francis Irving wrote:

http://search.postgresql.org/www.search?ul=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.postgresql.org%2Fdocs%2F8.0%2Fstatic%2F%25&q=delete+from

> >> I love the website apart from this.
> >>
> >> Who disagrees?
> >>
> >> Note in particular that this behaviour differs from every other open
> >> source documentation site I use -- PHP, Python, MySQL.
> >
> > Uh, I think Marc disagrees.  Anyone else?
>
> The reason it was setup like that was so that you looked at the 'message'
> from the search results in a seperate window, while still maintaining the
> search results themselves ...
>
> If I'm the only one that finds this convienent, its a 2 second job to
> remove the TARGET tag ...

I have never seen another web site behave this way, and I do think it is
annoying.

Re: [webmaster] Opening links in new windows is irritating

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

http://search.postgresql.org/www.search?ul=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.postgresql.org%2Fdocs%2F8.0%2Fstatic%2F%25&q=delete+from

If navigation is done correctly then _BLANK should not be required. The
only time _BLANK should be used IMHO is when the link takes you to a
different site.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting

Re: [webmaster] Opening links in new windows is irritating

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

http://search.postgresql.org/www.search?ul=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.postgresql.org%2Fdocs%2F8.0%2Fstatic%2F%25&q=delete+from

> If navigation is done correctly then _BLANK should not be required. The
> only time _BLANK should be used IMHO is when the link takes you to a
> different site.

Right.  I have seen that done.

Re: [webmaster] Opening links in new windows is irritating

From
Francis Irving
Date:
On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:28:16PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

http://search.postgresql.org/www.search?ul=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.postgresql.org%2Fdocs%2F8.0%2Fstatic%2F%25&q=delete+from

> > If navigation is done correctly then _BLANK should not be required. The
> > only time _BLANK should be used IMHO is when the link takes you to a
> > different site.
>
> Right.  I have seen that done.

Since nobody seems to object, and quite a few people approve, could
you make the change, and remove the _BLANK?

Francis

Re: [webmaster] Opening links in new windows is irritating

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Francis Irving wrote:

>>> If navigation is done correctly then _BLANK should not be required. The
>>> only time _BLANK should be used IMHO is when the link takes you to a
>>> different site.
>>
>> Right.  I have seen that done.
>
> Since nobody seems to object, and quite a few people approve, could
> you make the change, and remove the _BLANK?

I object.

When someone uses our search system (or any search system...), they will
want to display more than one page, so opening the results in new windows
is fine.

However, if there were a tag that will force to open in new tabs, it would
be better -- I love mozilla engines...
--
Devrim GUNDUZ
http://www.tdmsoft.com                         http://www.gunduz.org

Re: [webmaster] Opening links in new windows is irritating

Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,

> >> Right.  I have seen that done.
> >
> > Since nobody seems to object, and quite a few people approve, could
> > you make the change, and remove the _BLANK?
>
> I object.
>
> When someone uses our search system (or any search system...), they will
> want to display more than one page, so opening the results in new windows
> is fine.
>
> However, if there were a tag that will force to open in new tabs, it would
> be better -- I love mozilla engines...

If I want to keep my current window position, I use Control-Click in
Mozilla on a link to open a new tab.  I don't expect a link to open its
own window, and I don't know a way to prevent that in Mozilla.

Date:
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:37:02AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Since nobody seems to object, and quite a few people approve, could
> > > you make the change, and remove the _BLANK?
> >
> > I object.
> >
> > When someone uses our search system (or any search system...), they will
> > want to display more than one page, so opening the results in new windows
> > is fine.
> >
> > However, if there were a tag that will force to open in new tabs, it would
> > be better -- I love mozilla engines...
>
> If I want to keep my current window position, I use Control-Click in
> Mozilla on a link to open a new tab.  I don't expect a link to open its
> own window, and I don't know a way to prevent that in Mozilla.

Yes -- I use the middle mouse button, which even opens it in a new tab
on Firefox.

Francis

Re: [webmaster] Opening links in new windows is irritating

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On April 25, 2005 08:37 am, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> If I want to keep my current window position, I use Control-Click in
> Mozilla on a link to open a new tab.  I don't expect a link to open its
> own window, and I don't know a way to prevent that in Mozilla.

Does that include you changing the preferences under Advanced/Tab browsing?

I have a three button mouse: I love the fact that I can click the middle button and it opens the link as a new tab.

Re: [webmaster] Opening links in new windows is irritating

Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> On April 25, 2005 08:37 am, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > If I want to keep my current window position, I use Control-Click in
> > Mozilla on a link to open a new tab.  I don't expect a link to open its
> > own window, and I don't know a way to prevent that in Mozilla.
>
> Does that include you changing the preferences under Advanced/Tab
> browsing?

Yes, sorry, that does require that change.  I forgot.

> I have a three button mouse: I love the fact that I can click the middle
> button and it opens the link as a new tab.

Oh, yea, I only have two buttons.