New News Entry

From
www@www.postgresql.com (World Wide Web Owner)
Date:
A new entry has been added to the news database.

Database Admin: http://www.postgresql.org/admin/edit_news.php?201

Submitted by: justin@postgresql.org
Headline: 3rd Beta of PostgreSQL Master -> Multi-slave replication system
replicationproject used for hosting the .org and .info domain names has entered it\'s third beta testing phase.

Target release date is 1st July 2004.

Story:

.organd .info domain name registries, has entered it\'s third beta testing phase.

Slony 1 is designed for high volume sites and has been masterminded by Jan Wieck, a member of the PostgreSQL Core Team.

It is a working, advanced Master to Multi-Slave replication system written in C, works with PostgreSQL 7.3 and 7.4, and
isBSD licenced.

Due for production release on 1st July 2004, Slony 1 has just entered it\'s third beta phase and is very well worth
checkingout by those with an interest in PostgreSQL replication.

More testers and contributors are welcome of course!

Changes from beta 2 are:

<ul>
<li>Fixed broken \"make distclean\" target (<a
href=\"http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/bugs/bugupdate.php?825\">bug825</a>).
<li>Added several HOWTO documents.
<li>Added a polling interval to the remote listener code so that reset connections get detected and the slave
reconnectsafter network outages.
<li>Performance enhancements by replacing the possibly huge IN transactionId query parts with custom C functions.
<li>Performance enhancement through grouping of multiple replication queries into one PQexec() call.
<li>Fixed a flex scanner problem causing slonik coredumps on larger input files.
</ul>

Re: New News Entry

From
Josh Berkus
People:

> Submitted by: justin@postgresql.org
> Headline: 3rd Beta of PostgreSQL Master -> Multi-slave replication system
I'd like to veto this.   We don't need a blow-by-blow on the main news page
for each incremental step in Slony development.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: New News Entry

From
"V i s h a l Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]"
>>Headline: 3rd Beta of PostgreSQL Master -> Multi-slave replication system
>>

>I'd like to veto this.   We don't need a blow-by-blow on the main news page
>for each incremental step in Slony development.

If it was a simple shell scrpit for blah blah then your veto is
justified but since Slony is addresing a much needed
feature exceptions can be made.

Lets see what others say ?

Vishal Kashyap
Director / Lead Software Developer,
Sai Hertz And Control Systems Pvt Ltd,
http://saihertz.rediffblogs.com
Yahoo  IM: mailforvishal[ a t ]yahoo.com

Re: New News Entry

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
World Wide Web Owner wrote:
> <a
> href=\"http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php\">S
>lony 1</a>, the successor to the eRServer replication project used for
> hosting the .org and .info domain names has entered it\'s third beta
> testing phase.

The spelling is "Slony-I".

Re: New News Entry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
I've started to reject posts to -announce about it as well ...

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> People:
>
>> Submitted by: justin@postgresql.org
>> Headline: 3rd Beta of PostgreSQL Master -> Multi-slave replication system
> I'd like to veto this.   We don't need a blow-by-blow on the main news page
> for each incremental step in Slony development.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

----

Re: New News Entry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, V i s h a l Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems] wrote:

> Dear Josh Berkus ,
>
>>> Submitted by: justin@postgresql.org
>>> Headline: 3rd Beta of PostgreSQL Master -> Multi-slave replication
>>> system
>>
>> I'd like to veto this.   We don't need a blow-by-blow on the main news
>> page for each incremental step in Slony development.
>>
> If it was a simple shell scrpit for blah blah then your veto is justified but
> since Slony is addresing a much needed
> feature exceptions can be made.
>
> Lets see what others say ?

If we approve the blow-by-blow of development for a single project, the
only news left on the web site will be for Slony-I ... beta software,
IMHO, doesn't belong on the news section (and that includes when
PostgreSQL itself goes beta) ... a release is news, not development stages

----

Re: New News Entry

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
<snip>
> If we approve the blow-by-blow of development for a single project, the
> only news left on the web site will be for Slony-I ... beta software,
> IMHO, doesn't belong on the news section (and that includes when
> PostgreSQL itself goes beta) ... a release is news, not development
> stages ...

Sure, but it was a beta2 release last week, and now it's in beta3 and
its due for proper "release" soon.  I'm trying to get it as widely
tested as possible before 1.0.0 release of course.

Instead of leaving the beta2 blurb there, it's been removed and replaced
with a beta3 one as that's more accurate.

Hope that makes sense.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Re: New News Entry

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
<snip>
> The spelling is "Slony-I".

Thanks Peter.  Now fixed.

:)

+ Justin

Re: New News Entry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Justin Clift wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> <snip>
>> If we approve the blow-by-blow of development for a single project, the
>> only news left on the web site will be for Slony-I ... beta software,
>> IMHO, doesn't belong on the news section (and that includes when
>> PostgreSQL itself goes beta) ... a release is news, not development stages
>
> Sure, but it was a beta2 release last week, and now it's in beta3 and its due
> for proper "release" soon.  I'm trying to get it as widely tested as possible
> before 1.0.0 release of course.
>
> Instead of leaving the beta2 blurb there, it's been removed and replaced with
> a beta3 one as that's more accurate.
>
> Hope that makes sense.  :)

As long as that is the new policy for the News section, makes perfect
sense to me ... but that means that software announce related to
PostgreSQL now has to be approved, regardless of its development state ...

We should post that policy somewhere, make sure that both open source and
commercial companies are aware of the change ...

----

Re: New News Entry

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
<snip>
> We should post that policy somewhere, make sure that both open source
> and commercial companies are aware of the change ...

;-)

Errr, I wasn't aware of a solid policy, so I've just been playing it by
ear.  So to speak.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Date:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Justin Clift wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> <snip>
>> We should post that policy somewhere, make sure that both open source and
>> commercial companies are aware of the change ...
>
> ;-)
>
> Errr, I wasn't aware of a solid policy, so I've just been playing it by
> ear. So to speak.  :)

Well, I think its only fair that if we are going to consider every little
development milestone news for one project, other projects should be given
the exact same consideration ... its not like there aren't a half dozen
other replication solutions out there ...

----

Re: New News Entry

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

My personal opinion on policy:

For software (or hardware) which is not PostgreSQL community, but is "useful"
or "newsy" as we define it, we announce it when it either
    1) goes production for the first time,
    2) supports postgresql for the first time
and never post news about that particular piece of software again unless
there's a compelling reason to make an exception.

For software which is PostgreSQL community, we allow announcements when it:
    1) is created as a project;
    2) first goes beta (if it needs testers);
    3) first goes production;
    4) achieves a major (e.g. 2.0) version milestone
but leave it up to the project admin what they want to try and post.

agreement/disagreement/rude noises?

I simply can't see any circumstance under which we would want to post
individual beta releases on the main page.   Heck, we don't do that for
PostgreSQL itself ... one beta or RC version, and that's it.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: New News Entry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> My personal opinion on policy:
>
> For software (or hardware) which is not PostgreSQL community, but is "useful"
> or "newsy" as we define it, we announce it when it either
>     1) goes production for the first time,
>     2) supports postgresql for the first time
> and never post news about that particular piece of software again unless
> there's a compelling reason to make an exception.

I'd extend 2 to include major version releases ...

> For software which is PostgreSQL community, we allow announcements when it:
>     1) is created as a project;
>     2) first goes beta (if it needs testers);
>     3) first goes production;
>     4) achieves a major (e.g. 2.0) version milestone

Sounds reasonable to me ...

----

Re: New News Entry

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> > For software (or hardware) which is not PostgreSQL community, but is
"useful"
> I'd extend 2 to include major version releases ...

I wouldn't.  Keep in mind that this includes a lot of commercial software.
EMS Hitech, for example, seems to have a "major version release" every week.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: New News Entry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>>> For software (or hardware) which is not PostgreSQL community, but is
> "useful"
>> I'd extend 2 to include major version releases ...
>
> I wouldn't.  Keep in mind that this includes a lot of commercial software.
> EMS Hitech, for example, seems to have a "major version release" every week.

Use discretion?  My big beef was that it was almost getting to the point
that when Jan scratched his butt, a news item was going up for it ...

Slony going Beta is news worthy .. Slony being released is news worthy ...
Slony going into its 3rd Beta is not news worth ...

----

Re: New News Entry

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> I'd extend 2 to include major version releases ...
>>
>> I wouldn't.  Keep in mind that this includes a lot of commercial software.
>> EMS Hitech, for example, seems to have a "major version release" every week.

> Use discretion?

I think Josh is trying to minimize the amount of discretion needed,
so that whoever makes these calls can't be accused of favoritism.

Personally I think it's reasonable to have some guidelines, not
hard rules.  In this case maybe we could suggest a time constraint:
"major release" announcements are ok if they're at least a year apart.
(Or six months, or whatever we feel is appropriate.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: New News Entry

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

>>> I wouldn't.  Keep in mind that this includes a lot of commercial software.
>>> EMS Hitech, for example, seems to have a "major version release" every week.
>
>> Use discretion?
>
> I think Josh is trying to minimize the amount of discretion needed,
> so that whoever makes these calls can't be accused of favoritism.
>
> Personally I think it's reasonable to have some guidelines, not
> hard rules.  In this case maybe we could suggest a time constraint:
> "major release" announcements are ok if they're at least a year apart.
> (Or six months, or whatever we feel is appropriate.)

I think EMS Hitech is an extreme case ... but, if I recall right, weren't
they doing an announce per minor release?  ie. 1.1.1 v 1.1.2?

But, I do agree about the time constraints ... maybe throw in a 'past
track record' also?  for instance, we release 7.5.0, and it will generally
be ~1 month before 7.5.1 comes out, but it may be 3 before 7.5.2 does ...
in our case, we might have a short time between minors right after a major
release, but we also don't send out a minor release just cause we happen
to have backpatched a single feature ...

----

Re: New News Entry

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Use discretion?
> >
> > I think Josh is trying to minimize the amount of discretion needed,
> > so that whoever makes these calls can't be accused of favoritism.
> >
> > Personally I think it's reasonable to have some guidelines, not
> > hard rules.  In this case maybe we could suggest a time constraint:
> > "major release" announcements are ok if they're at least a year apart.
> > (Or six months, or whatever we feel is appropriate.)
>
> I think EMS Hitech is an extreme case ... but, if I recall right, weren't
> they doing an announce per minor release?  ie. 1.1.1 v 1.1.2?
>
> But, I do agree about the time constraints ... maybe throw in a 'past
> track record' also?  for instance, we release 7.5.0, and it will generally
> be ~1 month before 7.5.1 comes out, but it may be 3 before 7.5.2 does ...
> in our case, we might have a short time between minors right after a major
> release, but we also don't send out a minor release just cause we happen
> to have backpatched a single feature ...

Just have Jan scratch his butt right before we release, and we can
piggyback on that announcement.  :-)

Re: New News Entry

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

> > Personally I think it's reasonable to have some guidelines, not
> > hard rules.  In this case maybe we could suggest a time constraint:
> > "major release" announcements are ok if they're at least a year apart.
> > (Or six months, or whatever we feel is appropriate.)

Absolutely.    The reason why I brought it up is that it's apparent that not
everyone on this list, even, agrees what the guidelines ought to be.  We need
a consensus.

> But, I do agree about the time constraints ... maybe throw in a 'past
> track record' also?

Well, that's where we make exceptions, sometimes.    For example, if OpenACS
sent us an announcement that wasn't a major release, we might put it up
anyway -- becuase they're very friendly to postgres, they're OSS, and they
have yet to post an announcement of any kind.   Bricolage, on the other hand,
we'd stick to the "rules"; David sends me an announcement every patch
release.

  for instance, we release 7.5.0, and it will generally
> be ~1 month before 7.5.1 comes out, but it may be 3 before 7.5.2 does ...

Oh, for the PostgreSQL project we post whatever we want.   It *is* the
postgresql.org web site, after all.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions