Re: New News Entry - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: New News Entry
Date
List pgsql-www
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> I'd extend 2 to include major version releases ...
>>
>> I wouldn't.  Keep in mind that this includes a lot of commercial software.
>> EMS Hitech, for example, seems to have a "major version release" every week.

> Use discretion?

I think Josh is trying to minimize the amount of discretion needed,
so that whoever makes these calls can't be accused of favoritism.

Personally I think it's reasonable to have some guidelines, not
hard rules.  In this case maybe we could suggest a time constraint:
"major release" announcements are ok if they're at least a year apart.
(Or six months, or whatever we feel is appropriate.)

            regards, tom lane