Embedded C++ with ecpg?

From
Jean-David Beyer
Date:
I have a bunch of application programs written in C++ that use Embedded SQL.
This have been working for many years with IBM's DB2.

I am about to upgrade my Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 system to RHEL 5, and I
would like to use postgresql instead of DB2. I cannot find an authoritative
statement that ecpg works with C++. There are hints here and there,
including old messages on this mailing list, that it either is meant to
work, that it partly works, or is silent.

What is the current status of (pre) compiling Embedded SQL in C++ programs?
I would absolutely hate to have to rewrite all these programs in C.

Red Hat seem to be on postgresql version 8.1.4 for the initial release of
RHEL5, and they may have updates a little higher.

--  .~.  Jean-David Beyer          Registered Linux User 85642. /V\  PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A         Registered Machine
241939./()\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://counter.li.org^^-^^ 11:30:01 up 1 day, 19:05, 3 users, load average: 4.25,
4.25,4.25

Re: Embedded C++ with ecpg?

Date:
Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@verizon.net> writes:
> What is the current status of (pre) compiling Embedded SQL in C++ programs?

I just asked Michael Meskes about that (had you put a support request
into Red Hat asking this?).  He says

: There are some C++ constructs that ecpg doesn't parse well, but they are
: not that widely used afaik. Most of the code compiles cleanly. And
: people used to workaround by just putting the sql part in a different
: source file where they didn't need those constructs.
:
: Some effort has been made to make ecpg C++ compliant, so most should
: work out of the box.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Embedded C++ with ecpg?

From
Jean-David Beyer
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@verizon.net> writes:
>> What is the current status of (pre) compiling Embedded SQL in C++ programs?
>
> I just asked Michael Meskes about that (had you put a support request
> into Red Hat asking this?).

Yes, and Red Hat's answer amounted to no answer at all. They merely repeated
a subset of what I already knew, which is why I placed the support request
in the first place.

> He says
>
> : There are some C++ constructs that ecpg doesn't parse well, but they are
> : not that widely used afaik. Most of the code compiles cleanly. And
> : people used to workaround by just putting the sql part in a different
> : source file where they didn't need those constructs.
> :
> : Some effort has been made to make ecpg C++ compliant, so most should
> : work out of the box.

Thank you. I am glad to hear that. I imagine almost all my C++ constructs
are pretty simple. And most of my SQL ones are, too.

--  .~.  Jean-David Beyer          Registered Linux User 85642. /V\  PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A         Registered Machine
241939./()\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://counter.li.org^^-^^ 13:35:01 up 1 day, 21:10, 3 users, load average: 4.16,
4.23,4.19