lower and unicode

From
pginfo
Date:
Hi ,

I tested the lower with unicode on 8.0.1 and find it not to work.
If I have only latin symbols it is working well, but if I try to use
also cyrillic the lower simpli ignore this symbols and all stay as is.
I readet that this will work on 8.x .
Exists some one using lower/upper + unicode and where can I find info
about unicode status with pg?

regards,
ivan.

Re: lower and unicode

From
Miroslav Šulc
Date:
Are you using PostgreSQL on Windows? If so, you should read the FAQ here
http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html#2.6.

On Windows, UNICODE (UTF8) is not supported because Windows natively
supports only UTF16 (I'm just repeating something I have read somewhere).

Miroslav

pginfo wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I tested the lower with unicode on 8.0.1 and find it not to work.
> If I have only latin symbols it is working well, but if I try to use
> also cyrillic the lower simpli ignore this symbols and all stay as is.
> I readet that this will work on 8.x .
> Exists some one using lower/upper + unicode and where can I find info
> about unicode status with pg?
>
> regards,
> ivan.

Re: lower and unicode

From
pginfo
Date:
Hi,
I am uusing pg 8.0.1 on FreeBSD 5.3 but I am ready t use the version
taht supports correct unicode.

regards,
ivan.

Miroslav Šulc wrote:

> Are you using PostgreSQL on Windows? If so, you should read the FAQ
> here http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html#2.6.
>
> On Windows, UNICODE (UTF8) is not supported because Windows natively
> supports only UTF16 (I'm just repeating something I have read somewhere).
>
> Miroslav
>
> pginfo wrote:
>
>> Hi ,
>>
>> I tested the lower with unicode on 8.0.1 and find it not to work.
>> If I have only latin symbols it is working well, but if I try to use
>> also cyrillic the lower simpli ignore this symbols and all stay as is.
>> I readet that this will work on 8.x .
>> Exists some one using lower/upper + unicode and where can I find info
>> about unicode status with pg?
>>
>> regards,
>> ivan.

>> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: lower and unicode

From
Miroslav Šulc
pginfo wrote:

> Hi,
> I am uusing pg 8.0.1 on FreeBSD 5.3 but I am ready t use the version
> taht supports correct unicode.

I think that should be fine. I use PostgreSQL 8.0.1 on Linux (Gentoo)
without these problems (I used cs_CZ.utf8 to init my db). What you write
seems to me that you have your database initialized to something else
than xy_XY.utf8 which must be used to have databases working correctly
with UNICODE. Try 'locale -a' and choose your locale that has *.utf8 to
initialize the database. Then things should be O.K. :-)

I don't remember I've seen some note in documentation that users must
use for databases the same encoding as they used for initdb. If this is
true, it would be time saving to mention this in documentation (if it is
not already there).

> regards,
> ivan.

Miroslav

Attachment

Re: lower and unicode

From
pginfo
Date:
Hi,
I am using --no-locale by init db.
I readet that if I am using some locale the pg will work very slow.
Have you noticed some speed penalty by using cs_CZ.utf8.
regards,
ivan.

Miroslav Šulc wrote:

> pginfo wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am uusing pg 8.0.1 on FreeBSD 5.3 but I am ready t use the version
>> taht supports correct unicode.
>

> I think that should be fine. I use PostgreSQL 8.0.1 on Linux (Gentoo)
> without these problems (I used cs_CZ.utf8 to init my db). What you
> write seems to me that you have your database initialized to something
> else than xy_XY.utf8 which must be used to have databases working
> correctly with UNICODE. Try 'locale -a' and choose your locale that
> has *.utf8 to initialize the database. Then things should be O.K. :-)
>
> I don't remember I've seen some note in documentation that users must
> use for databases the same encoding as they used for initdb. If this
> is true, it would be time saving to mention this in documentation (if
> it is not already there).
>

>> regards,
>> ivan.
>

> Miroslav

Re: lower and unicode

From
Miroslav Šulc
pginfo wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using --no-locale by init db.
> I readet that if I am using some locale the pg will work very slow.

I don't remember reading it will be very slow. I just remember that I've
read it will slow down some things (which I think is logical in this case).

> Have you noticed some speed penalty by using cs_CZ.utf8.

When using PostgreSQL, I need correct collating order for strings so I
have no other choice. I didn't do any speed tests but I think if you
need correct behaviour for your locale, you should use your locale. Just
try it and you will see the results. You can then make a decision for
yourself. I think you won't be the only one using locale for your
database ;-)

> regards,
> ivan.

Miroslav

Attachment

Re: lower and unicode

From
Peter Eisentraut
pginfo wrote:
> I am uusing pg 8.0.1 on FreeBSD 5.3 but I am ready t use the version
> taht supports correct unicode.

FreeBSD doesn't support Unicode, so you need to use something else.

--
Peter Eisentraut