table permissions

From
Oleg Lebedev
Date:
Hi everybody,
I have a table called 'set' and I am trying to edit or insert an entry
there. I made sure that I have ALL permissions to modify that table, but
still I get the same error:
ERROR: activity: Permission denied.

I don't know where 'activity' part came from, but there is a reference
to activity table in set table.
I know this is a very vague descritption of the symptoms, but I don't
know where to look to find out more info. I'll happily provide any
further details.
thanks,

Oleg

Re: table permissions

From
"Aasmund Midttun Godal"
Date:
I used to have this problem in earlier  versions of postgres, after I upgraded they disappeared.

Regards,

Aasmund.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:23:28 -0700, Oleg Lebedev <olebedev@waterford.org> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I have a table called 'set' and I am trying to edit or insert an entry
> there. I made sure that I have ALL permissions to modify that table, but
> still I get the same error:
> ERROR: activity: Permission denied.
>
> I don't know where 'activity' part came from, but there is a reference
> to activity table in set table.
> I know this is a very vague descritption of the symptoms, but I don't
> know where to look to find out more info. I'll happily provide any
> further details.
> thanks,
>
> Oleg

Aasmund Midttun Godal

aasmund@godal.com - http://www.godal.com/
+47 40 45 20 46

Re: table permissions

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Oleg Lebedev wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I have a table called 'set' and I am trying to edit or insert an entry
> there. I made sure that I have ALL permissions to modify that table, but
> still I get the same error:
> ERROR: activity: Permission denied.
>
> I don't know where 'activity' part came from, but there is a reference
> to activity table in set table.
> I know this is a very vague descritption of the symptoms, but I don't
> know where to look to find out more info. I'll happily provide any
> further details.

What version of postgres are you running?  I know that at one point we had
a problem with requiring select & update permissions to the primary key
table referenced by a foreign key.

Re: table permissions

From
"Aasmund Midttun Godal"
Date:
The problem is that updating/inserting/deleting a row which references another table requires all permissions on that
table.This has been fixed.

Regards,

Aasmund.

Date:
I am using v7.1.2
I guess, this might be a table locking problem, but I don't have any transactions currently running.

A couple of days ago I did a restore of 'set' table from a dump file, and it didn't go too well - I
had a couple of problems. I don't know if it's relevant, but smth's telling me that it is.

Oleg

Aasmund Midttun Godal wrote:

> I used to have this problem in earlier  versions of postgres, after I upgraded they disappeared.
>
> Regards,
>
> Aasmund.
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:23:28 -0700, Oleg Lebedev <olebedev@waterford.org> wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> > I have a table called 'set' and I am trying to edit or insert an entry
> > there. I made sure that I have ALL permissions to modify that table, but
> > still I get the same error:
> > ERROR: activity: Permission denied.
> >
> > I don't know where 'activity' part came from, but there is a reference
> > to activity table in set table.
> > I know this is a very vague descritption of the symptoms, but I don't
> > know where to look to find out more info. I'll happily provide any
> > further details.
> > thanks,
> >
> > Oleg

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)
>
> Aasmund Midttun Godal
>
> aasmund@godal.com - http://www.godal.com/
> +47 40 45 20 46

Re: table permissions

From
Oleg Lebedev
Date:
I guess it's not fixed in release 7.1.2, since when I added all permissions on the referenced table, it started
working.
Do I need to download a new version again (I just did it 2 weeks ago)?
thanks,

Aasmund Midttun Godal wrote:

> The problem is that updating/inserting/deleting a row which references another table requires all permissions on that
table.This has been fixed.

> Regards,
>
> Aasmund.
>
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:23:25 -0700, Oleg Lebedev <olebedev@waterford.org> wrote:
> > I am using v7.1.2
> > I guess, this might be a table locking problem, but I don't have any transactions currently running.
> >
> > A couple of days ago I did a restore of 'set' table from a dump file, and it didn't go too well - I
> > had a couple of problems. I don't know if it's relevant, but smth's telling me that it is.
> >
> > Oleg
> >
> > Aasmund Midttun Godal wrote:
> >

> Aasmund Midttun Godal
>
> aasmund@godal.com - http://www.godal.com/
> +47 40 45 20 46

Re: table permissions

From
Oleg Lebedev
Date:
I have 3 users in the database: postgres, oleg, and boss. boss is the superuser and has permissions to modify both
originaland referenced table.

However, when I am logged in as boss, it won't let me modify the original ('set') table unless user oleg (!!!!) has
updatepermissions on the

referenced table ('activity'). Now I understand that I didn't have this problem before, because I just recently created
thissuperuser boss.

Another thing, I just noticed is that the tables I mentioned do not have permissions defined for user postgres. All the
othertables in my database

do have those permissions set. Can this be the cause of the problem?
thanks,

Oleg

Aasmund Midttun Godal wrote:

> The problem is that updating/inserting/deleting a row which references another table requires all permissions on that
table.This has been fixed.

> Regards,
>
> Aasmund.
>
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:23:25 -0700, Oleg Lebedev <olebedev@waterford.org> wrote:
> > I am using v7.1.2
> > I guess, this might be a table locking problem, but I don't have any transactions currently running.
> >
> > A couple of days ago I did a restore of 'set' table from a dump file, and it didn't go too well - I
> > had a couple of problems. I don't know if it's relevant, but smth's telling me that it is.
> >
> > Oleg
> >
> > Aasmund Midttun Godal wrote:
> >

> Aasmund Midttun Godal
>
> aasmund@godal.com - http://www.godal.com/
> +47 40 45 20 46

Re: table permissions

From
"Aasmund Midttun Godal"
Date:
I don't really know a lot about these issues. However another problem I used to have (I have just avoided it for the
timebeing, and I am getting back to it!) is corrupted users, have you messed around with pg_hba.conf? perhaps it is a
problemwith this.

I apologize, but I don't really know. Hope someone else can help you!

Regards,

Aasmund.