Postgres mailing lists

From
Chris Bitmead
Date:
Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
inconvenient.

--
Chris Bitmead
mailto:chris@tech.com.au

Don Baccus
Date:
At 02:16 PM 6/16/99 +1000, Chris Bitmead wrote:

>Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
>submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
>inconvenient.

In my experiences with other mailing lists - yes.  If the
mailing list address shows up anywhere accessible by
web spiders, it will be found, and the list will be hit
by spam.

So I guess the question is really "which is worse, getting
hit by occassional spam or having to post from a subscribed
e-mail address?"

I have two e-mail addresses, one which I use for personal
e-mail and lists, so the answer's easy for me.  Keep it
closed to subscribers.

If no one anywhere has the e-mail address of the list on
a spider-accesible web page, then opening it *might*
work unless...

Anyone ever posts the list address to Usenet.

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] Postgres mailing lists

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Chris Bitmead wrote:

> Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
> submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
> inconvenient.

There is a pgsql-loopback address you can subscribe to, so that you don't
have to be a member of every list, but, yes, it is required...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Postgres mailing lists

From
Chris Bitmead
Date:
Well I reckon there should be a pseudo-subscription mechanism, where you
can register yourself as a contributor without actually getting a copy
of the email. I could subscribe under my several email addresses just so
that I can mail from all accounts but I don't really want to receive X
copies of everything. Is there a way to subscribe without getting
anything sent? A kind of suspended account I guess you would call it.

--

Date:
> Well I reckon there should be a pseudo-subscription mechanism, where you
> can register yourself as a contributor without actually getting a copy
> of the email. I could subscribe under my several email addresses just so
> that I can mail from all accounts but I don't really want to receive X
> copies of everything. Is there a way to subscribe without getting
> anything sent? A kind of suspended account I guess you would call it.

That's what loopback does.

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> >

> > > Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
> > > submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
> > > inconvenient.
> >
> > There is a pgsql-loopback address you can subscribe to, so that you don't
> > have to be a member of every list, but, yes, it is required...
> >
> > Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> > Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> > primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
>
> --
> Chris Bitmead
> mailto:chris@tech.com.au
> http://www.techphoto.org - Photography News, Stuff that Matters

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Postgres mailing lists

Date:
> At 02:16 PM 6/16/99 +1000, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> >
> >Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
> >submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
> >inconvenient.
>
> In my experiences with other mailing lists - yes.  If the
> mailing list address shows up anywhere accessible by
> web spiders, it will be found, and the list will be hit
> by spam.
>
> So I guess the question is really "which is worse, getting
> hit by occassional spam or having to post from a subscribed
> e-mail address?"
>
> I have two e-mail addresses, one which I use for personal
> e-mail and lists, so the answer's easy for me.  Keep it
> closed to subscribers.
>
> If no one anywhere has the e-mail address of the list on
> a spider-accesible web page, then opening it *might*
> work unless...
>
> Anyone ever posts the list address to Usenet.

I think there is a way to add all your e-mail addresses to the list
without getting mail to each address.  Not sure how, though.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Postgres mailing lists

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > At 02:16 PM 6/16/99 +1000, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> > >
> > >Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
> > >submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
> > >inconvenient.
> >
> > In my experiences with other mailing lists - yes.  If the
> > mailing list address shows up anywhere accessible by
> > web spiders, it will be found, and the list will be hit
> > by spam.
> >
> > So I guess the question is really "which is worse, getting
> > hit by occassional spam or having to post from a subscribed
> > e-mail address?"
> >
> > I have two e-mail addresses, one which I use for personal
> > e-mail and lists, so the answer's easy for me.  Keep it
> > closed to subscribers.
> >
> > If no one anywhere has the e-mail address of the list on
> > a spider-accesible web page, then opening it *might*
> > work unless...
> >
> > Anyone ever posts the list address to Usenet.
>
> I think there is a way to add all your e-mail addresses to the list
> without getting mail to each address.  Not sure how, though.

Subscribe all addresses to loopback.  It doesn't send mail out, it's
just a place for majordomo to look for ok addresses.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain
Date:
Thus spake Chris Bitmead
> Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
> submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
> inconvenient.

Spam is inconvenient.  The term for mailing lists that don't do this
sort of blocking is "spam amplifier."

The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Chris Bitmead wrote:

> Well I reckon there should be a pseudo-subscription mechanism, where you
> can register yourself as a contributor without actually getting a copy
> of the email. I could subscribe under my several email addresses just so
> that I can mail from all accounts but I don't really want to receive X
> copies of everything. Is there a way to subscribe without getting
> anything sent? A kind of suspended account I guess you would call it.
>

> > There is a pgsql-loopback address you can subscribe to, so that you
> > don't have to be a member of every list, but, yes, it is required...

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> >

> > > Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
> > > submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
> > > inconvenient.
> >
> > There is a pgsql-loopback address you can subscribe to, so that you don't
> > have to be a member of every list, but, yes, it is required...
> >
> > Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> > Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> > primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
>
> --
> Chris Bitmead
> mailto:chris@tech.com.au
> http://www.techphoto.org - Photography News, Stuff that Matters

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Postgres mailing lists

From
"Henry B. Hotz"
Date:
At 9:16 PM -0700 6/15/99, Chris Bitmead wrote:
>Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
>submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
>inconvenient.

I don't know how postgres does it exactly, but NetBSD has open lists and
some aggressive kind of spam filtering based on known spammers.  I think
it's been very nice to have discussions, for example, which span both the
port-mac68k@netbsd.org list and e.g. a MkLinux list.  The spam filtering
seems to be very effective since I only see a piece of spam on the netbsd
lists once every 3 months or so.  I would suggest you consider cooperating
with them to use whatever mechanism they use.

As another specific example there was a person on port-mac68k who was
getting postgres up on a Mac 68k system and having some problems.  I tried
to cross-post my responses to the postgres-ports lists, but they never
appeared.  I was doing it from this very email address on this very
machine.  Aside from the 'now' - 'current' problem I reported earlier, his
were mostly related to interactions among the NetBSD installation, the
NetBSD package system and our install instructions rather than to any
fundamental deficiencies in postgres.  However I think he had valid
problems which I think the Postgres documenters could address, and which
would improve our product.  I think it is unfortunate that I was not able
to involve one of the postgres lists in the discussion.

Date:
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> As another specific example there was a person on port-mac68k who was
> getting postgres up on a Mac 68k system and having some problems.  I tried
> to cross-post my responses to the postgres-ports lists, but they never
> appeared.

Curious about this, since if its rejected as "non-member submission", it
will get sent back to you...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org